Question on differing accounts of Monterosa vs. Brasilian

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
JeffreyF

Question on differing accounts of Monterosa vs. Brasilian

Post by JeffreyF » 13 May 2007, 19:57

Was surfing the web trying to find information on this and I have some questions.

From what I found of Brasilian accounts in English the Brasilians were able to route a small group of soldiers from Monterosa and it was only the intervetion of German troops from 148th ID that kept the Brazilians taking the day. Only due to being low on ammunition, etc. From what little I've read Italian troops were actually used to stiffen the German unit in this case as they were suffering from larger desertion rates.

A couple of articles that cover this action in passing both from the Flames of War website for convenience.

http://www.battlefront.co.nz/Article.asp?ArticleID=1347
The only large offensive operation of the RSI Army against the Allies was a regimental-size tactical counterattack in the Appennines in the Winter of 1944 against Brazilian troops. The operation was a success, and the RSI troops proved themselves very skilled and aggressive in this otherwise brief encounter.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Article.asp?ArticleID=251
There they succeeded in surprising and routing units of the German-trained Italian fascist army (elements of the "Monterosa" Alpini Division of the "Esercito Nazionale Repubblicano" (National Republican Army), only to be beaten back by a counterattack by nearby elements of the German 148th Infantry Division
So did the Brasilians make a first initial successful probe to be repulsed by Germans or a Italo-German force or just soley Italians? Thanks for any information.

Lupo Solitario

Post by Lupo Solitario » 13 May 2007, 23:31

Sincerly: I read many descriptions of those facts and each one exalted own troops and blamed others...I've never understood what exactly happened...

Voice of Truth

Post by Voice of Truth » 01 Jun 2007, 00:31

From what I've heard the Brazilians were a pretty useless bunch. I doubt any account that makes them look like heroes.

Spirow Ewes

Post by Spirow Ewes » 01 Jun 2007, 03:48

Well, you're just wrong.

Ever heard of 1st Brazilian Fighter Squadron, the best allied air unit in MTO during the Spring Offensive in 1945?? I'll give you the figures if you're interested.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”