Pinerolo division 1941 campaign in Yugoslavia-Macedonia

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
pavle

Pinerolo division 1941 campaign in Yugoslavia-Macedonia

Post by pavle » 23 May 2007, 14:48

Hi all,

I'm looking for details about the Pinerolo division in Macedonia in 1940-41 and Greece.
Also am i looking for battle accounts about the Italian invasion and battle with the Greek forces in Albania (battle around Pogradec) the overall battles fought on the Italian-Albanian borders..

Many thanks..

Lupo Solitario

Post by Lupo Solitario » 24 May 2007, 14:52

Essential lines:

The 24th Infantry Division "Pinerolo" had been sent in Albania at half January 1941 and immediately deployed in first line in high Desnices valley (north of Klisura) as part of VIII Corps, 11th Army. In the first two weeks of combat, divsional units reached in holding the line against a continued series of Greek attacks (battle of Berat).
In february, Greek pressure passed on westerner sectors and division could recover and reorganize. Always as part of VIII Corps had a important place in the italian March offensive launched in the same area: from 9 to 14 March the entire Corps was launched against Greek positions in Desnices valley with high sacrifice and scarce gains. In the first half of March Pinerolo had lost 213 officers and 3750 other ranks.
In the second half of March Pinerolo was retired, again reorganized and trasferred to 9th Army for employment in a projected offensive in the Pogradec-Korca sector.
The breakout of war with Yugoslavia changed plans: Pinerolo was kept in reserve for operations in the Librazhd sector. With the start of italian advance towards Debra, Pinerolo - before a part of 13th Infantry and after entire division - was charged to advance along the northern side of Ocrida Lake occupyng Ocrida on eastern bank of the lake.
April 11 the Pinerolo was ordered to move south between Ocrida and Prespa lakes to arrive on the back of Greek front. But the bad terrain and greek defences reached in lowering italian move and Pinerolo could arrive at south of Pogradec only after April 13, linking to just advancing italian forces. Few days after Pinerolo was between the first italian units to meet advancing German troops.

pavle

Post by pavle » 24 May 2007, 17:24

Thanks Lupo!

Do you know perhaps which good book discribes the battles in Albania?

All the best,

luigi

Post by luigi » 25 May 2007, 09:20

Hi Pavle, I'll leave it to Lupo to tell you about the books dealing with the Albanian campaign from a "technical" point of wiew. However a vivid depiction from a personal point of wiew can be found in "Quota Albania" from the same Mario Rigoni Stern of "The sergeant in the snow" fame. I think it hasn't been translated to english, and I don't know if you read Italian. Also, the first part of "Centomila gavette di ghiaccio" (I think it has been translated but I don't know the english title, it is not "A few return" however :) ) deals with the greek campaign.

Lupo Solitario

Post by Lupo Solitario » 27 May 2007, 15:10

Long answer...

first of all, "books". The point is that this campaign is almost completely unknown outside Italy and Greece, so the largest part of texts about it are in italian or in greek.
For what concerns Italy, I'm largely basing my references on Italian Army official history which has never been traslated in other languages. There are not many other books about wide visions of campaign; the best one is probably still Mario Cervi's "Storia della campagna di Grecia" which fortunately has been traslated in english with the title "Hollow Legions". Apart this, there are (as Luigi stated) many soldier's memories but, again, none has been traslated AFAIK.
For the greek side, I'm totally unlearned. I know that a resume of the Greek Army official history has been traslated in english but I've still to find it...for the rest I have no references.

To other your questions: Pogradec is a little town on the western bank of Ochrida Lake in Albania (the eastern bank is in Macedonia). November 20, 1940 the 9th Italian Army abandoned the Korca highplains retreating to form a new line from Ochrida lake to the sea. The line started from a point about 10kms east of Pogradec, made a sort of semicircle around the town and climbed towards the mountains. The sector was given to Italian III Corps; in detail the eastern flank, from the lake to a mountain called Guri Rejanit was given to 19th Infantry Division "Venezia", while from Guri Rejanit to the Guri i Topit, covering the Shkumbini river springs there was the Infantry Division "Arezzo". In the terrible conditions of the italian retreat, those units controlled strange mix of subunits coming from everywhere.
Greek advanced slowly and they reached the italian line only November 25. Their forces were based on the III Corps, formed by Infantry Divisions 9th and 13th. The attack against italian positions started November 27, with 9th division attacking on mountains and 13th near the Lake.
November 28 Greeks conquered the mountain called Bregu Bari Kuqit, opening an hole between the to italian divisions, after that another success on Hill 1244 forced italians to abandon the extreme left of the line forming a new line immediately south of Pogradec in date November 30.
December 1, the Greek 17th infantry division took the place of the 13th. December 3 the Greek III Corps launched a new hard attack against Arezzo division to break Italian line. After a entire day of hard clashes, Greeks take definitely the Guri Rejanit and Italians have to leave Pogradec for a new line passing north of the town.
In successive days, Greeks continued in pushing north and italians in hold the terrain as long as possible. The Italian III Corps received the Infantry Division "Taro" which was deployed on the flank of Arezzo. Italian units were anyway still mixed and confused.

Either armies were tired and exausted and winter was coming. The activity on the Ochrida sector went sudden low and in the second half of December the front stabilized on a line passing about 10kms north of Pogradec.
For entire winter few happened. Logistical troubles pushed italian and greeks to concentrate their efforts on the sea-closer part of the front leaving the troops on the most eastern side more worried about the winter than other.

(continue)

pavle

Post by pavle » 29 May 2007, 11:24

Great job Lupo!

Many thnks eagerly waiting for your continuiation !

All the best,

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”