Erntefest and Waffen SS

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
witness

Erntefest and Waffen SS

Post by witness » 24 Dec 2002, 19:12

During November 3rd-4th, 1943 thousands of Jews were mudered at some of "Aktion Reyhard" camps (Maidanek,Trawniki,Poniatowa)-the event which followed after the decision to destroy those camps was taken on the top level.
I know that there is a claim that substantial number of troops taking part in this "festival'' were of Waffen SS units.
Any info about this ?What Waffen SS units did participate in this action ?
Any details how this action was carried out ?
Thanks in advance.

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 26 Dec 2002, 14:58

As you would expect Dirlewanger's mob were there.
Pete

tomalbright

Waffen SS abd Erntefest

Post by tomalbright » 26 Dec 2002, 20:26

I have asked this question of the forum before.. and gotten no definitve replies..my own guess would be that the only Waffen SS units in the vicinity and "available" for this operation would have been some unidentified W-SS Training and Replacement units similar to the ones used in the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising; perhaps SS PzGd AuE Btl 3 or the SS Kav AuE Btl..both were stationed in Poland in 1943. However, various other garrison troops or "scratch" replacement units also could have been used.

regards

Tom

JIB

Erntefest and Waffen SS

Post by JIB » 31 Dec 2002, 07:39

According to "Ordinary Men" by Christopher Browning, the Waffen SS units used in this operation were brought in from Warsaw and Krakow.

Josh

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 31 Dec 2002, 09:28

So again that supports the possibility of Totenkopf's A.u.E. Battalion I'd have thought.
Pete

JIB

Erntefest and Waffen SS

Post by JIB » 31 Dec 2002, 09:46

Yes that does suggest a strong possibility that some of the Waffen-SS units that took part in "Operation Entefest" in Lublin were some of the same ones that took part in putting down the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.
I wonder what Waffen-SS unit was culled from Krakow?

In any case, according to reports, the Waffen-SS units did not take part in the actual mass shootings as that role was filled by the Gestapo/SD and possibly the Schutzpolizei. Which means the Waffen-SS role in the operation would have been limited to round-up and ghetto clearance.

Josh

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”