Panzer-Abteilung Montfort

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Bernd R

Panzer-Abteilung Montfort

Post by Bernd R » 18 Oct 2007, 21:19

Hi all,

would be interested in any bits and pieces about Panzer-Abteilung Montfort

The only piece I was able to find is on this site : http://www.okh.it/units/7abteilung/PzAb ... tm#04/1942
formed on 16.12.1941 with one Kp each of Pz.Rgter 2, 4 and 36
05.01.1942 subordinated to AOK 6
in april 1942 integrated into Pz.Rgt 6 / 3. Pz.Div
(source of the site entry is not provided)

another piece and a guess :
named after the Kdr (Major then ?) : Wolfram Montfort , who was awarded the German Cross in Gold on 01.12.1941 as : Hptm, I./Pz.Rgt 4 / 13. Pz.Div

established and used as an Armeetruppe, 3 Kpn - Pz.Abt ?

Bernd

Bernd R

Re: Panzer-Abteilung Montfort

Post by Bernd R » 16 Apr 2008, 15:07

push

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 20 Feb 2009, 10:49

*push*

Jan-Hendrik

Brian R

Post by Brian R » 05 Mar 2009, 05:21

I have a small doc group to a Gefreiten/Unteroffizier who served in Panzer-Abteilung Montfort. His awards show that he was decorated with the EK2 on 25 January 1942 and his PAB on 8 March 1942. He was then wounded on 25 March. His EK2 doc lists him as being a member of 3. Panzer-Abt Monfort (Panzer Rgt. 2). It was signed by the commander of 299 Infantry Divison - it could be Moser but I can't read it. Also, his wound badge doc was signed by Montfort, as a Hauptmann and Abteilung Kdr. on 2 April 1942.

I'm not sure about Monfort but did Panzer Regt 2 go down at Stalingrad (reformed in March, 1943)? If so, this guy was part of the new group, after recovering from his wounds he recieved the previous March. He went on to win his EK1 in April 1943 - as an Unterofizier in PzRgt 2 (16 Panzer Division).

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 06 Mar 2009, 14:26

Thanks for this input Brian ! Should be a rare doc group of a small and short lived unit !
To answer your questions :
1) Kdr. of 299. ID at this time was indeed General der Artillerie Willi Moser
http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=3889
299. ID obviously was divided into parts in early 1942 and its parts were subordinated to different Korps and both AOK 6 and AOK 2.
2) Yes, the first part of the history of Pz.Rgt. 2 / 16. Pz.Div. ended in Stalingrad. Reformed then.

Here is a German Cross holder (only) of this Abteilung :
Juhrich, Reinhold, 01.04.1942, Leutnant d.R., 3./Pz.Abt. Montfort Pz.Rgt. 2 [per Horst Scheibert, DKiG).

The assumption based on the reference cited above and the unit designation (named + PR 2 as an add-on) still is :
Companies from PR 2 / 16. PD, PR 4 / 13. PD and PR 36 / 14. PD ; possibly the "ruling" Regiment is PR 2 (due to the combined unit designation), but the commanding officer came from PR 4 (Hptm Montfort). Taking into account your further piece of info it appears possible that the three companies were attached to various divisions separately at times. Still stick to the thesis it was a Armee-Truppe formally.

Best regards
Bernd

Endzeit Jan
In memoriam

Post by Endzeit Jan » 06 Mar 2009, 15:53

:D
Last edited by Endzeit Jan on 06 Mar 2009, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 06 Mar 2009, 16:20

Lesen hilft :roll:
formed on 16.12.1941 with one Kp each of Pz.Rgter 2, 4 and 36
05.01.1942 subordinated to AOK 6
in april 1942 integrated into Pz.Rgt 6 / 3. Pz.Div
Jan-Hendrik

Brian R

Post by Brian R » 24 Aug 2009, 04:38

A follow up to this post...

Here is how I have the group explained based on the information obtained here and from and other helpful places on the web. Please correct me where you see a potential error. Thanks again!

On thing to point out... although Panzer-Abteilung Montfort was generally subordinate to 6. Armee, it is interesting to see that it was, at one point, subordinate to 1. PanzerArmee (Von Kleist). His PAB and BWB badge were awarded in March. Since this is before the second battle of Kharkov (May, 1942), what was 1. Panzerarmee doing at the time?

Panzer-Abteilung Montfort was a short lived unit formed in December 1941, and comprised of a company each from Panzer Regiments 2, 4 and 36. The new unit was led by Hauptmann Wolfram Montfort, who was awarded the German Cross in Gold on 1. December 1941 as Hptm, I./Panzer Regiment 4 of 13. Panzer Division. It appears that the unit operated as heerestruppe; generally with Heeresgruppe Sud.

Gefreiter Geiss served with 3rd Company of Panzer-Abteilung Montfort and was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class on 25. January 1942. His award was rendered by the 299 Infantry Division and signed by General der Artillerie Willi Moser. 299 ID was subordinate to 6. Armee at the time and was fighting in the area of Livny (located between Orel and Voronezh).

Geiss eventually transferred to 1st Company of Panzer-Abteilung Montfort and won his Silver Panzer Assualt Badge on 8. March 1942. His award was signed by von Kleist as commander of 1. Panzerarmee.

On 25. March, Geiss was wounded in action. He was awarded the Black Wound Badge and his award citation was signed by Hauptmann Montfort as Abteilung Kdr. on 2 April 1942. It is assumed that he convalesced for the remainder (or majority) of the year. He was promoted to Unteroffizier and received his Ostmedaille on 1. August 1942.

Panzer-Abteilung Montfort was dissolved in April and rolled into Panzer-Regiment 6; subordinate to 3. Panzer Division which went on to fight in the Kharkov area with 6. Armee followed by the Caucasus region with 1. Panzerarmee (Armeegruppe A ) in July.

As Panzer Regiment 2, as well as 16. Panzer Division, were destroyed at Stalingrad, the units were rebuilt in early 1943. After recovering from his wounds it appears that Geiss was brought back to PR 2 as a replacement. 16 PD was committed to the area around Salerno, Italy by summer. Geiss was awarded for bravery with the Iron Cross First Class on 20 April, 1943 by Oberst Rudolf Sieckenius. It appears that 16 PD was still forming at the time; perhaps Geiss’ EK1 is related to his actions from the previous year.
Last edited by Brian R on 25 Aug 2009, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 24 Aug 2009, 19:05

Hello Brian R,

thank you very much for your follow-up and summary ! Also for the very interesting shift of assignment to Pz.AOK 1 (obvious, and one of the open points here).

Since you own one of the very rare groups of this unit (my assumption) and we have come quite a good way to learn the history of the Abteilung it is a nice task and challenge to check the state of knowledge and hopefully to get it even more complete.

I was going through this again now and I would like to reply in two parts.

1) slight corrections and additions like requested (the easier part) :
Gefreiten Geiss
-> Gefreiter (grammar)
299 ID was subordinate to 6. Armee at the time ..
299. ID was assigned to XXIX. AK in Jan and Feb 1942 ; speaking about pre-Charkow this Korps was going on to be part of AOK 6 in March and April 1942, but without 299. ID .
As Panzer Regiment 2, as well as 16. Panzer Division, were destroyed at Stalingrad, the units were rebuilt in early 1943
reformation of division and regiment in April / May 1943 already, in France (command area of Heeresgruppe "D") ; sent to Italy during June 1943
Geis was awarded for bravery with the Iron Cross First Class on 20 April, 1944 by Oberst Rudolf Sieckenius
should be a typo (?) ; in 1943 ; matches with the Pz.Rgt. 2 command of Sickenius (= like you said, in the early rebuilding time period in France).

2) the assignment of the Abt. during its second half history = March / April 1942
-> simultaneously a mix of bits and pieces / conclusions / questions
Since this is before the second battle of Kharkov (May, 1942), what was 1. Panzerarmee doing at the time?
It was engaged in defensive combat in the MIUS-Stellung (greater area TAGANROG, north of ROSTOW, after Rostow was re-taken by the Soviets)

Hopefully useful to make two parts here as well, first part with info about the backround, to show the connections of the Pz.Divs. where the rgts companies came from, and possibly to allow the drawing of conlcusions. The second part is pointing to the gaps and missing links indeed !

a) more generally the so-called Schlacht- und Gefechtskalender [battles roll] tells about :
AOK 6 : 17.1.1942 - 1.5.1942 - Abwehrkämpfe nördlich Charkow
Pz.AOK 1 : 1.12.1941 - 8.7.1942 - Abwehrkämpfe in der Mius-Stellung

AOK 6 had under command 3. Panzer-Division, variously shifting in assignment to LI. AK, XVII. AK, Reserve, at Disposal
Pz.AOK 1 had under command 16. Panzer-Division !! , assigned to XIV. AK (mot.)

b) conclusion 1 :
after the time with 299. ID, the Abteilung was sent to PR 2 / 16. PD in March/April 42 ("home", connected to its former headquarter).

conclusion 2 :
LIVNY, where the EK2 action was performed was located on the very left flank of AOK 6 (roughly spoken). The transfer from that position in the North to the South = Mius positions (16. PD, resp. 1. Pz.Armee) somewhere in the turn of Feb/March 42 is a rather long move ! ..apparently this was done. (?)

Best regards
Bernd

Brian R

Post by Brian R » 25 Aug 2009, 04:54

Bernd - Thanks so much!!!

I have edited the original post in order to correct the "gefreiten" and "1944" typos.

I will send scans of the docs to you - you will see that the Abt. was the "ruling" regiment as you stated earlier (or Geiss was originally part of PR2 and it is stated on his docs.

Bernd R

Post by Bernd R » 25 Aug 2009, 20:03

Thanks in advance !

It is of interest perhaps to round up the commanding officer - a slight supplement about Wolfram Montfort : two more commands are known to me
Lehrtruppe der Panzertruppenschule Bergen, Fallingbostel
Kdr. : Feb 1944 - Mai 1944 Maj Wolfram Montfort
[source: ABR Schulen der Wehrmacht sticky]

and, believe it or not, another named unit later !! 8O :)
Montfort Panzergrenadier Battalion (formed July 1943)
Staff
3 x Company
[source : Axis History Factbook 13. Pz.Div. page ]
I know absolutely nothing about that.

/ Bernd

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 22 Dec 2015, 15:51

*push*

Jan-Hendrik

Jan-Hendrik