German South West Africa Campaign commemorative medal

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
umvoti

German South West Africa Campaign commemorative medal

Post by umvoti » 07 Nov 2007, 17:50

Hi all, can anyone shed some light on a recent medallion I found regarding the German South West Africa Campaign.
It has the following on one side 'In Trutziger Wehr Für Deutschlands Ruhm & Ehr!'

The other side 'Zur Erinnerung An Die Kriegs Jahre in Deutsch-Süd-West-Afrika'

It had at once a suspender.

Thank you
Regards Bill
Attachments
dswa4.jpg
dswa4.jpg (64.12 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
dswa3.jpg
dswa3.jpg (71.66 KiB) Viewed 1947 times

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 07 Nov 2007, 18:20

I believe it's a Commemorative Medal for 1914 (for German SW Afrika), semi-official but not a National Award meant to be worn on the uniform.......though you do find early Medal groupings that sometimes have semi-official and Regimental Medals included (but were contary to Regulations).
I say this because "Germania" (the female figure) seems to be scanning the horizon (distant enemy) and there are no Native themes (which I'd expect if for Rebellion squashing.....) in the design....I have several unoffical medals for the "KREIGSJAHRE" (meaning 1914). This one, being for SW Afrika would be especially unique.....too bad the loop is gone (also common to the commemorative types....well struck but not highest quality base metal.....
Don't know the value.....someone who specializes in SW Afrika stuff or Commemorative Medals might pay a fair price.....
but I don't have a clue. The regular "KREIGSJAHRE" medals go for $10.00 to $50.00....most on the LOW side!
Hope this adds alittle.
John G.
Mainemilitaria

umvoti

Thanks

Post by umvoti » 08 Nov 2007, 17:34

Hi John, many thanks for the info, glad to know it relates to the First War and not the rebellion years.

Karstenh83

Post by Karstenh83 » 28 Nov 2007, 23:41

Hello,

this medal wasn´t for 1914! I can say for sure that this medal could buy by an veteran of the herero revolt 1904/07. I mean that this medal is something like a tradition badge or a semi official like John said!

I have an estate of a veteran who took part on the herero rebellion! But in WW1 he served in France and was unfortunately KIA in 1918 there! This estate include the posting medal.

Best wishes

Karsten

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”