Help needed: On Em 0,9 Range finder

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
mlespaul

Help needed: On Em 0,9 Range finder

Post by mlespaul » 04 Dec 2007, 17:33

Hi all again,

Does anyone have any technical information regarding the Entfernungsmesser 0,9 m R (Raumbild)?
Anyone happen to own one?

It's the large scissor-shaped optic that looks like an SF, but it's a totally different animal.

I have been able to find very little information on it or literature, except for some photography from some sites and from an auction or two (items sold).

I have heard and read anecdotal information about it being used on various heavy Pzkpfw's but have seen no photographic information regarding their panzer use to confirm.

I also happen to lack any sort of magnification, utilization, degrees of view - how used, etc.

Any literature or manuals or other info - anyone have?

Cool-E

Post by Cool-E » 05 Dec 2007, 03:34

There is some information on these in the Seeger book:

"Stereoscopic range finder, with a distance of 90 cm between the objectives. 14x magnification. Beige finish. The instrument is shown witht eh arms in the open position ready for use. For transport purposes the arms can be folded together. Usable at ranges from 400 to 16000m"

I think they were only made in 1943 by Zeiss. I have never seen any marked other than blc 43. I think the were used on vehicles because of the tranist case. I have one of those cases and it is very heavy.

mlespaul

Post by mlespaul » 05 Dec 2007, 15:29

Thanks C-E!

Globbitz

Post by Globbitz » 26 Jan 2008, 23:03

Hello all,

I have a small collection of German binoculars and rangefinders, primarily of Carl Zeiss manufacture; of which I have an EM-61 which is a further development upon the EM 0,9m to which this posting relates.

Last year I came across, and purchased a Russian DS-09 rangefinder manual through eBay that I suspect that you will be very interested to learn looks to be identical to the EM 0,9m units that you have pictured above.

If it is of further interest, the seller is still offering an identical Russian manual dated 1958 on eBay under a description of 'SOVIET RUSSIAN BOOK MANUAL DS-09 RANGE-FINDER MILITARY'. I won't bother pasting the eBay reference number, as it will expire, and likely frustrate readers of this posting in +90days time.

If I can be of further assistance regarding general operation of the EM-61 or it's smaller brother the EM 0,4 then by all means contact me, but unfortunately I've not yet had the opportunity to play with an EM 0,9m. However, if any readers know of any for sale, then please contact me ;-)

Kind regards,
Paul

mlespaul

Re: Help needed: On Em 0,9 Range finder

Post by mlespaul » 03 Jun 2008, 21:47

Paul, I pm'd you.

Yes, I'd be very interested, and yes those models seem to approximate the EM 0,9 very closely! :)

Interesting that this design that was abandoned by the Germans so quickly for it's (in my mind, minor) inconveniences, but was then appropriated in such very large fashion by the Easter Bloc ;). Maybe the wehrmacht should have stuck with them!

Sheldrake

Re: Help needed: On Em 0,9 Range finder

Post by Sheldrake » 01 Aug 2023, 16:55

Entfernungsmesser Em 0,9 m R. blc Rangefinder.jpg
Itb fits on the three stub rods in front of the loaders hatch on the Jagdpanther.
Jagdpanther_IWM wiki.jpg
This is wjhat then Tank Museum has to say about this
This is an Em 0,9 mR Entfernungsmesser (Rangefinder) of the type issued to schwere Panzer-Abteilung 501 in February 1943 for evaluation, which is part of the Museum's supporting collection. The rangefinder was issued with the hope that it would allow the Tiger units to score more first round hits at long ranges.
In practice it proved difficult to find sufficient time or personnel to train with the device. The requirement for near perfect stereoscopic (20/20) vision limited the number of men who could be trained in its use. Opportunities to bring the Panzer-Abteilung 501 crews together for training were also limited as the unit was spread over an area of 250km and engaged in combat and refitting.
Despite all these problems orders were still issued for the fitting of mounting brackets to the roof of the Tigers turret. No records appear to exist of this rangefinder being successfully used by Tiger units.
Hmm just looked at the date of the original post.

Return to “Other Equipment”