German Cavalry in WW2 - battles, charges, incidents, OOB's

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

German Cavalry in WW2 - battles, charges, incidents, OOB's

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 27 Dec 2007, 03:08

First, I wanted to start a topic named "German cavalry charges during the Campaign in Poland", but i came to conlusion, that it will be better for discussion, if the topic is wider :wink: .

Let's start with my first invention - Polish campaign, German cavalry it's battles and charges during it course. As we know, Wehrmacht sent to Poland one cavalry Big Unit - 1. Kavalleriebrigade (1st Cavalry Brigade) from Insterburg under command of Kurt Feld.

As we also know, there were 11 Polish Cavalry Brigades + some other cavalry Brigades and different units, improvised during the course of the campaign - sometimes from reserves, and sometimes from soldiers of those 11 regular brigades.

Polish cavalry made exactly 17 charges (of them one charge - charge by Brochów - 15.09.1939 - was faked and had only psychological influence and meaning) during the Campaign in Poland - of them one was made against Russians - charge at Husynne (24.09.1939). The last charge took place in Morańce (26.09.1939).

Of these 15 charges made against Germans, 1 was inconclusive (charge in Królewskie Forests - 01.09.1939), 3 were unsuccesfull (charge by Mińsk Mazowiecki - 13.09.1939, 2nd charge by Maliszewo - 13.09.1939 and charge in village Morańce - 26.09.1939 - but after that charge German garrison of Morańce sent negotiators, and Morańce were re-took by Polish forces), and 11 were succesfull (Krojanty, Mokra - 01.09.1939, Borowa - 02.09.1939 - enemy escaped without resistance here and Poles weren't chasing it, but just captured and secured terrain - both sides avoid cassualties, Osuchowo - 11.09.1939, Kałuszyn - 12.09.1939, 1st charge by Maliszewo 13.09.1939 - chasing running enemy, capturing many German soldiers, Gajówka Dembińskie - 16.09.1939, Wólka Węglowa - 19.09.1939, Łomianki - 19.09.1939, Kamionka Strumiłowa - 21.09.1939, Krasnobród - 23.09.1939).

Charge against Russian forces near Husynne was succesfull at the beggining, but when Russian reinforcements came to battle, charge was rejected and Poles had to retreat - both sides suffered similar casualties, but as a result of this battle, Poles were finally surrounded and had to surrender.

But let's get back to German Cavalry. If Polish cavalry charges are rather well-known, German charges in Polish Campaign are forgotten.

But there were at least 2 German Charges in Poland in 1939 (one was inconclusive, one was unsuccesfull). As we count the number of German Cavalry Brigades (1) and the number of German charges (at least 2), and compare it with the number of Polish Cavalry Brigades (11) and number of Polish charges against Germans (15 - I am not including this faked charge), we see one conclusion - there were at least 2 charges per one German Cavalry Brigade, and there were, statistically, around 1,36 charges per one Polish Cavalry Brigade - so German Cavalry Brigade was, statistically, charging more often than Polish Cavalry Brigade - the ratio number of charges / number of brigades is higher on German side :D.

Those at least two German cavalry charges I mentioned, were:

1. Królewskie Forests near town Krzynowłoga Mała - 01.09 - Polish - German cavalry horse fierce skirmish - German cavalry horse charge with sabres:

Small Polish patrol from 11th Leggionary Ulan Regiment (Mazowiecka Cavalry Brigade) under command of lieutenant Wladislaw Kossakowski during the reconessaince mission, met small German cavalry patrol from 1st Cavalry Brigade. Kossakowski decided to start a battle - close combat with sabres and probably lances on Polish side (this was one of a few incidents during the campaign, when Polish cavalry used lances), and with sabres on German side.

Kossakowski wrote:

"At the end of our march, in the edge of small forest clearing, we saw small German cavalry unit. They didn't see us, but their positions were crossing the road and blocking our march direction. I asked other officers - are we charging? As the answer, I heard noice of sabres being pulled out from sheaths. We made a pre-charge formation and charged towards them from the forest, screaming - Hurray! The shock tactic was succesfull, but - what surprised us - this time German cavalry didn't panic or withdraw, but re-charged us using sabres - also screaming Hurray! and occasionally - Heil Hitler! - two brave charging cavalry units, screaming, brandishing with sabres and bending down in saddles, were going to head-on collision! After few seconds, we reached them and they reached us. Two cavalry formations crushed in one battle - but our impetus was greater. In fact, both formations just passed each other - but there were casualties on both sides. I remember, that corporal Juckiewicz stuffed a German cavalryman with his lance - German soldier just moaned and died. After this short but fierce and bloody combat, we galloped in our way and those of Germans who survived - galloped in their way. We were all unconcsious from emotions and excitement, but kept riding - after few minutes we reached our infantry with MGs and mortars positions - great relief. Finally, our patrol joined our regiment in the late evening"

Anybody knows exactly which German cavalry unit from 1st Cavalry Brigade was charging with sabres there, on 1st of September 1939?

2. Charge by Krasnobród - 23.09.1939:

2nd Polish cavalry squadron (from 25th Cavalry Regiment) is attacking (in foot formation) German infantry - hand granades, rifles and MGs, together with artillery support (9th Horse Artillery Command) force German infantry to withdraw in great mess. German chaotic and fast withdrawal makes an opportunity to make a cavalry charge:

Other Polish cavalry unit (1st squadron under command of lieutenant Tadeusz Gerlecki) is charging and chasing panicked German Infantry which is now running away, crushed and completely disorganized - one squadron of German heavy "Eastern Prussian" cavalry with strong, heavy horses, charge with sabres towards Polish cavalry, trying to rescue rests of defeated German Infantry:

"It was amazing view - against Polish ulans charged German cavalry units - Polish squadron - charging in a single line formation - with lances directed towards Germans, was closing to the charging enemy. Enemy cavalry was charging with sabres in chaotic, messy formation. Finally, units striked each other. Polish cavalry - well disciplined, better trained for horse fighting and supported by Polish 9th Horse Artillery Command - crushed Germans. Polish sabres together with Polish artillery fire, crushed Prussians - German cavalry suffered heavy losses."

Prussian cavalry was also charging against 2nd squadron positions, which was defending in foot formation with MGs and rifles - German charge was rejected (mainly because of Polish artillery support and MGs fire) with quite heavy losses for them. But there is no doubt, that German cavalry charge gave the minute of peace to the Infantry, and help in its withdrawal, giving an opportunity to rest for a few minutes without being attacked, decrease panic, and - partially - regroup.

Polish cavalry attack supported infantry, and inficted on re-taking the city of Krasnobród from German hands, and capturing the headquarters & staff of German 8. Infanterie-Division together with many divisional commanders and staff officers.

German Cavalry:

RFPB

Re: German Cavalry in WW2 - battles, charges, incidents, OOB

Post by RFPB » 02 Apr 2010, 19:25

1. Królewskie Forests near town Krzynowłoga Mała - 01.09 - Polish - German cavalry horse fierce skirmish - German cavalry horse charge with sabres:

Small Polish patrol from 11th Leggionary Ulan Regiment (Mazowiecka Cavalry Brigade) under command of lieutenant Wladislaw Kossakowski during the reconessaince mission, met small German cavalry patrol from 1st Cavalry Brigade. Kossakowski decided to start a battle - close combat with sabres and probably lances on Polish side (this was one of a few incidents during the campaign, when Polish cavalry used lances), and with sabres on German side.

Kossakowski wrote:

"At the end of our march, in the edge of small forest clearing, we saw small German cavalry unit. They didn't see us, but their positions were crossing the road and blocking our march direction. I asked other officers - are we charging? As the answer, I heard noice of sabres being pulled out from sheaths. We made a pre-charge formation and charged towards them from the forest, screaming - Hurray! The shock tactic was succesfull, but - what surprised us - this time German cavalry didn't panic or withdraw, but re-charged us using sabres - also screaming Hurray! and occasionally - Heil Hitler! - two brave charging cavalry units, screaming, brandishing with sabres and bending down in saddles, were going to head-on collision! After few seconds, we reached them and they reached us. Two cavalry formations crushed in one battle - but our impetus was greater. In fact, both formations just passed each other - but there were casualties on both sides. I remember, that corporal Juckiewicz stuffed a German cavalryman with his lance - German soldier just moaned and died. After this short but fierce and bloody combat, we galloped in our way and those of Germans who survived - galloped in their way. We were all unconcsious from emotions and excitement, but kept riding - after few minutes we reached our infantry with MGs and mortars positions - great relief. Finally, our patrol joined our regiment in the late evening"

Anybody knows exactly which German cavalry unit from 1st Cavalry Brigade was charging with sabres there, on 1st of September 1939?
Thank you for the account. Can you please provide the source? Thank you.

Ypenburg

Post by Ypenburg » 09 May 2010, 21:20

With 1. Kav. moving south via Myszyniec, capturing Dylewo on 2.9.1940, and first units crossing the Orzyc near Drazdzewo early in the morning of 3.9.1939, it's units charging on 1.9.1939 at Krzynowłoga Mała is not an option.

With 1. Kav. moving south from Katuszyn towards Kuflew and from there to Rudzienko and staying in that area in the period 21.9 - 4.10.1939 it is hard to believe them to be in the Krasnobród-area.

Unless the unit's (1. Kav.) historie is lying.

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 10 May 2010, 13:41

According to my sources via Myszyniec (defended by one squadron from 5th uhlan rgt.) - Dylewo - Drazdzewo was attacking a strong Kampfgruppe of 1. Kav.Brig., while the rest attacked via Chorzele - Krzynowloga Wielka.

According to the history of the town, Chorzele was captured yet at 6:00 AM on 01.09.1939:

http://www.gminachorzele.fr.pl/index.ph ... Itemid=113

Are you sure that entire 1. Kav.Brig. was attacking via Myszyniec? Then who captured Chorzele? 12 Inf.Div.?
Unless the unit's (1. Kav.) historie is lying.
What's the exact name of this book? Is this history of 1. Kav.Brig. or only history of Reiter-Regiment 1. or 2.?

Btw - for example the history of 2. Pz.Div. by F. J. Strauss also doesn't provide full description of combats of this unit in Poland. Especially that Strauss only describes combats of Pz.Abw.Abt.38, Pz.Rgt.3 and Pz.Rgt.4. But even combats of these three units are not fully described as he doesn't describe for example combats near Rawa Ruska, near Kamionka Strumilowa or near Mosty Wielkie, he only marks these fights on the map of division's operations.
it is hard to believe them to be in the Krasnobród-area.
They were certainly not in the Krasnobrod area. Either it must have been some divisional cavalry unit or the story is fictional. Maybe mounted soldiers from some divisional Aufkl.Abt. Probably they were from 68. or from 8. Inf.Div.

As far as I know divisional Aufkl.Abt. had 49 trucks & cars, 50 motorcycles and about 260 Reitpferde each.

1. Kav.Brig. was not taking part in combats in that area from 21 to 27 IX (2nd battle of Tomaszow). On the German side there were 27., 68., 8. and 27. Inf.Div., 2. Pz.Div. & 4. Lei.Div. + other non-divisional units from 14. Army.

Ypenburg

Post by Ypenburg » 10 May 2010, 16:58

I'll do some scanning this week and send you all pages in pdf by PM (via download-link).

I'm pretty sure that most of the time people mention 1.Kav. they do so because it was the one and only German Kav.Div. at that time.
And thus they forget most Aufklärungs-Abteilungen had Reiter-Schwadronen and many other units had Reiter-Zügen.
Not that it makes a big difference, since the Reiter-Schwadronen came from regular Kavallerie-Regiments, but fighting 1. Kav.Div. sounds better then fighting an Aufklärungs-Abteilung :wink:

Steinbrugge

Post by Steinbrugge » 01 Mar 2011, 17:49

Firstly Hello I am new to this forum but hope to be of some assistance to the op.
I have recently acquired this photo album which was bought some 35 years ago in a junk shop in Odessa, it reputedly features members of the 1st cavalry brigade who took part in the cavalry charge mentioned in the original post.
My german is not good enough to understand all of the regimentskommandeur`s intro so would really appreciate a translation.
I have included a couple of pics from the album which has 47 in total all featuring the men and horses from 3 Kompanie.
If anyone finds this to be helpful then I can let them have digital copies of some more of the pics

Cheers all :D :D

Harv
P1010973.JPG
Attachments
P1010975.JPG
P1010969.JPG

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 01 Mar 2011, 21:31

:welcome:

Thanks for sharing those photos.

/Marcus

Ypenburg

Post by Ypenburg » 02 Mar 2011, 02:56

Picture's combined with the text (Kompagnie i.s.o. Schwadron, date and places =1.Kav. was still in Holland on 15.5.40=) make me believe the album is from an infantry-unit, not Cav.

Steinbrugge

Post by Steinbrugge » 02 Mar 2011, 12:33

You could be correct I make no pretence of having any expertise in this matter.
If it helps the pic on the page entitled "The history of my company" shows the author/owner and with magnification you can make out the insignia on his left arm say "SUD WURTEMBURG", I read somewhere that the cavalry was organised into 3 groups nord sud and ost and that Wurtemburg was a cavalry unit ? as I said though I am really new to this type of thing, normally only collecting rings and other personal items.
I have put another 3 pics up, gotta say though if this IS an infantry unit then this guy was obsessed with horses as pretty much all 47 pics are of mounted troops !! brrrr give me motorised transport anyday :D :D
Attachments
P1010986s.jpg
P1010985s.jpg
P1010984s.jpg

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 02 Mar 2011, 13:07

Hello,

As said above the text refers to a infantry company. Infanterieregiment 191 forced the river Chiers at Blagny on May 15th so the text refers to 3.Kp./Inf.Rgt.191.

On the photo he wears a Hitlerjugend uniform so it has nothing to do with his Wehrmacht unit.
Strange is the large number of horses on the photos which does not fit to the infantry company as there were not as much horses in one company. Probably an improvised mounted detachment of the regiment etc..

/Christoph

Steinbrugge

Post by Steinbrugge » 02 Mar 2011, 13:55

Excellent info Christoph.. Thanks, at least I now know what I have !!!
I am sending the other pictures to Marcus for whatever use is deemed beneficial.
Thanks for your help.
Harv

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 07 May 2012, 23:46

German heavy cavalry in the 1939 campaign in Poland: :milwink:

Probably these guys captured some museum.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”