Did Churchill send secret letters to Mussolini?

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
don1

Did Churchill send secret letters to Mussolini?

Post by don1 » 09 Jan 2003, 19:41

I have twice read notes recently concerning rumours of Winston Churchill writing secret letters to Benito Mussolini urging him not to join the Axis forces. Is there any definite proof that such documents existed? It was also said that Otto Skorzeny gained copies of these papers during his kidnapping of Il Duce from an Italian prison. The claim is that he exchanged these just after the war with Churchill in Vienna.

PZ VI
Banned

musslini and churchill

Post by PZ VI » 10 Jan 2003, 08:31

i dont know, but i read that otto skorzenny knew about churchill's surrender offers to germany. apparently Skorzenny had someone outside prison who would spill the beans after the war, that churchill wanted to surrender earlier on. so Skorzenny was set free, and set up financially in Spain and eventual obscurity.

varjag

Post by varjag » 11 Jan 2003, 05:22

That Churchill and the British govt. put pressure on Mussolini both before and after Italy's entry into the war seems certain. But that Churchill wanted to surrender to Hitler - I wanna see proof of before I change a long held opinion. THAT would really rock modern history to is't very foundations!

gabriel pagliarani

"CARTEGGIO CHURCHILL/MUSSOLINI"

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 16 Jan 2003, 13:06

There is no legend or "rumors" in it. Any modern State registers the in/out coming of any"diplomathical envelope" submitted from Country to Country, applying to it a procol ID. All the letters Churchill wrote to Mussolini are registered in Archivio di Stato della Repubblica Italiana, here in Rome. There is a lack ( a registration or protocol ID without the corresponding envelope) for about 20/30 letters dated 1938 and upper.
Surely those letters are the same that Mussolini held in the second hand-bag a little before his death in Dongo affair. This hand-bag containing all the State Archive of RSI was never found till 1985: during that year GB gov.ment submitted part of these documents back to Archivio di Stato della Repubblica Italiana. Nobody knows actually if the stolen Churchill's envelopes returned or not: Italian Gvnmt ordered the full secret extension as State Security Priority to be maintained for other 50 years at last! Understood?What kind of proofs are available for what? Varjag, the evidencies you need now will be at your disposition only after our death.

varjag

Post by varjag » 17 Jan 2003, 04:28

Thanks Gabriel - I thought as much.And won't hold my breath. ANYTHING that relates to British negotiations with Hitler touches a very raw nerve in London - perhaps our grandchildren will get a look in...we won't.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”