Japanese soldiers' identification tags

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Sewer King

Japanese soldiers' identification tags

Post by Sewer King » 16 Nov 2008, 18:42

I have tried to find out about Imperial Japanese soldiers’ identification (ID) tags.

Surprisingly, no ID tags are shown in Nakata and Nelson’s extensive photo guide Imperial Japanese Army and Navy Uniforms and Equipment. Neither is this basic thing covered in the US Army TM-E 30-480 Handbook of Japanese Military Forces, 01 Oct 44.

There must be much more, but almost all I have been able to find are a few line drawings and short explanations. Identification tags from other armies and navies, and in several wars, are fairly-well covered in militaria literature. Not surprisingly, there has even been a separate source book for the silver warrant discs of German police and Gestapo.

But again, there seems to be little about Japanese ID tags that is easily available, translated, or in original English. It is as if they are not widely known abroad – nor understood, even today -- as much as those of the other World War combatants.

I have the impression that Japanese tags are also less seen in collections, maybe even in Japan, because:
  • They became relics of the fallen soldiers, and so did not go to the collector market.

They were worn on fabric tapes rather than metal chain necklaces, and so might have been lost more often with the death of a soldier in combat.

Prisoners-of-war might have discarded their IJA tags?

The tags did not have other uses as in other armies, such as showing the wearer’s blood group, or casualty data at aid stations.

Maybe some surviving soldiers did not want to keep them after the war ended? Unless, they were helpful or necessary for demobilization or other veterans’ administration.
The following is from an unofficial introductory paperback booklet for US soldiers by the Infantry Journal, How the Jap Army Fights (New York: Penguin Books, 1942; sixth printing, 1943). This was one of a series about the Allied and Axis forces. Most are written in an informal style for the average soldier, often in first-person anecdotes. That is why it surprises me to see it report details of Japanese ID tags – while the official War Department Handbook of Japanese Military Forces did not.

From page 164-166:
What was the Japanese name for soldiers' ID tags?

What metal were the tags made of? What size?
  • Since Japan was comparatively rich in copper I would have expected brass, at least early in the war. Those of the wartime German Army and Navy were typically zinc and brass respectively. The WW2 US Army used stainless steel, while the US Navy and Marine Corps originally used Monel alloy (before changing to stainless steel too). The British soldier wore one tag each of brass and fiber.
Were they normally worn around the waist, or sometimes around the neck? Their design implies that the tape was threaded through a hole at each end of the tag, then tied flat against the soldier’s body. If worn round the waist, they would have had to be tied close enough so they would not fall down to the fundoshi (underwear)?

-- Alan

Akira Takizawa

Re: Japanese soldiers' identification tags

Post by Akira Takizawa » 17 Nov 2008, 04:00

> I have the impression that Japanese tags are also less seen in collections, maybe even in Japan, because:

They are not so rare as you say. They are often found in Japan.

http://www13.ocn.ne.jp/~seiroku/ninsikih.html

> The following is from an unofficial introductory paperback booklet for US soldiers by the Infantry Journal, How the Jap Army Fights (New York: Penguin Books, 1942; sixth printing, 1943).

The information in this book is not accurate. The typical ID tag of enlisted men has three lines - unit name, company number and serial number. Below is the example of ID tag of enlisted men.
soldier.jpg
soldier.jpg (49.02 KiB) Viewed 24500 times
Officer's ID tag has two lines - rank and person name. Person name is written in full name.
officer.jpg
officer.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 24501 times
> What was the Japanese name for soldiers' ID tags?

認識票 (Ninshikihyo)

> What metal were the tags made of? What size?

They were generally made of brass and measure 1 3/4 in., by 1 1/4in.

> Were they normally worn around the waist, or sometimes around the neck?

It was hanged from neck or worn around the neck and armpit like a sash.

Taki

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 17 Nov 2008, 06:08

Ultimately why these tags were required.

This photo wasn't published until 1964.Fallen soldier,I think from Nomonhan in 1939.

If anyone finds this offensive I can remove.
Attachments
fallen.jpg
fallen.jpg (96.58 KiB) Viewed 24479 times

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 22 Nov 2008, 19:08

Thanks for the corrections, Taki – it is more evidence of gaps and mistakes about Imperial militaria in English-language books. Whereas German uniforms and equipment are accurately and widely-covered in English, down to fine details, official orders, and variations. If I could find no better than these obscure unofficial drawings, it still seems strange that there are no official ones for such a simple and basic thing.

Like the water filters, ID tags might be one of those equipments that remain less understood this way if it was not for help from you and others.

It is said that there are many more Japanese swords outside of Japan than inside it, because they were lost in wartime, or they were brought out of the country during occupation. I had thought that ID tags might be the reverse, found inside Japan but seldom outside it, and not sold abroad. If some of them returned to Japan with cremated remains of soldiers who had worn them, it seemed to me that foreigners would be unlikely to come across them. Gordon Rottman wrote in his Osprey Men-at-Arms volume 95 Japanese Army Infantryman 1937-45 (Osprey 2005), page 58:
... In theory the remains of a fallen soldier were returned in a white-shrouded box (shiroki no hako) in the form of ashes, the ”spirit of the war dead” (eirei). In reality the dead were cremated en masse on the battlefield and ashes scooped at random into the boxes, the soldier remaining united with his fallen comrades. The soldier’s identity tag or a final letter written by him may have been included as “relics of the fallen” …
Although I now understand that they are easily seen in Japan today, any soldiers’ ID tags may have been plain-looking and unreadable to Allied troops who came across them in wartime or postwar. Japanese guns, swords, bayonets, and flags would have been more interesting to them. The same has been said of the Vietnam War where US troops brought back relatively few pieces of the plain North Vietnamese and Viet Cong military clothing, compared to weapons.

Here are other modern-day photos of reported Japanese military ID tags, said to be battlefield finds. Can they be judged from these photos?
  • If they are authentic, why the rectangular shapes of the upper two tags here?

Are any of them readable? Someone else had tried to translate them in that thread.
-- Alan

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 23 Nov 2008, 02:17

> If they are authentic, why the rectangular shapes of the upper two tags here?

Because they are not soldier's ID tags. I copied from my reply to an inquiry from Arthur.

Right top
It is not a dog tag. "Pulp" is engraved on it. Probably, it is a name
plate of worker in pulp factory.

Left top
It is also not a dog tag. It is a plate of dedication to temple or shrine.

Right bottom
Kaname 2232 (125th Infantry Regiment)
5th Company
Soldier No. 40

Left bottom
Isao 11907 (12th Field Artillery Regiment)
2nd Battery
Soldier No. 36

12th Field Artillery Regiment was deployed in Hokkaido. It is curious that
this tag was found on Karafuto.

Taki

stulev

Post by stulev » 23 Nov 2008, 16:54

KANAME indicates that the 25th Infantry Regiment was part of the 88th Division and ISAO 12th Field Artillery Regiment was part of the 42nd Division.

Taki how complete is you list of unit id number -- my list has maybe 20000 entries with some duplication when like the 25th Infantry Regiment were attached to boith the 88th Division and also to the Karafuto Mixed Brigade both KANAME or like 2300 23rd Field Ordnance Depot used Tomi when attached to the 23rd Army or OKI when attached to 17th Army. --- but a lot of numbers are unlisted or unidentified on my list.

Stuart

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 23 Nov 2008, 17:13

Thanks still again, Taki. Sometimes the best discussions arise when someone like Arthur has an original artifact, someone like you has the deep knowledge, and others the deep questions. Everyone benefits, including the forum as a whole.

When did Japan first adopt ID tags for her troops?
  • Other armies were generally wearing them by the time of World War I. In the US Civil War, a variety of privately-made tags were bought and worn by some individual soldiers. Then by the Spanish-American War, private tags were worn by some entire regiments. Finally, the entire US Army adopted the first standard dog tags for all its soldiers in the 1900s.

Although not sure, I have the impression that armies began to issue dog tags because of the rise of large modern conscript forces, and the overseas colonial wars of the late 19th century. Like the US at the time, Japan had only recently begun to modernize her military and send it overseas in strength for the first time.
Akira Takizawa wrote: 12th Field Artillery Regiment was deployed in Hokkaido. It is curious that this tag was found on Karafuto.
When German soldiers were transferred to from one unit to another, they sometimes continued to wear their original tags for a time. Maybe this was common for Japanese troops, also? Especially later in the war when new units were organized from stragglers, remnants, and survivors.

The Japanese soldier’s blood type was not marked on his ID tag, but this may not have been commonly done by various other armies at least until World War II, by which time blood transfusion had become more routine. The US War Department Handbook of Japanese Military Forces makes passing mention of older transfusion methods in some use by the IJA. In this forum we have dismissed a dubious idea that the IJA had theorized grouping its soldiers by their blood type. But in any case was a soldier’s blood type durably marked anywhere on his person, since it was not on his dog tag?

The single round hole in one end of the ID tag from Taki’s photo would show that this one was hung from a cord, rather than a fabric tape threaded through two opposing slots as in other tags.

Compared to IJA soldiers’ ID tags, were there any differences in those of Japanese –-
  • -- Navy personnel? The wartime German Navy sailor wore the same design of oval tag as his Army comrade, but his was made of brass not zinc, and had different information on it.

-- Pilots and aircrews, whether Army or Navy? As a comparison, German crewmen of Luftwaffe planes and Army Panzers wore theirs on fine steel twist-chains, instead of the woven cords used by ground troops. This prevented loss of the tags if the wearer’s body was burned in a fire or crash.

-- prewar and wartime soldiers? Although their design is very similar, German Army ID tags of World War I can be told apart from those of World War II by the different information on them. US Army tags of World War I are similar to interwar ones, but might be told apart in a similar way.

The wartime Infantry Journal drawings of ID tags are inaccurate for World War II. But, might they be more like IJA tags from earlier times, from around World War I for example? Sometimes, information that is incorrect was simply outdated, when its reporter did not know any better and thought it was still true.
Akira Takizawa wrote:Because they [the rectangular ones] are not soldier's ID tags. I copied from my reply to an inquiry from Arthur.

Right top
It is not a dog tag. "Pulp" is engraved on it. Probably, it is a name plate of worker in pulp factory.
This would mean a workman in a paper or lumber mill, in the far north?

Did any other Japanese civilians ever have to wear some kind of ID tags in war zones, or in war-related work? Such as:
  • merchant sailors under military or naval command
    South Manchuria Railroad workers,
    Policemen, firemen, air-raid wardens
    Red Cross
    paramilitary groups like the Seinendan (Youth Corps)
Peter H wrote: Ultimately why these tags were required. This photo wasn't published until 1964. Fallen soldier, I think from Nomonhan in 1939.
This couldn’t be from Nomonhan, which was in summertime? The casualty is wearing winter battledress. Although there had been many earlier, nameless skirmishes with the Soviets along the Manchurian border.

The original wartime source of the photo would have some small interest. If Japanese, was there a policy about casualty photos shown or not shown back home in Japan? If not Japanese it would be either Soviet or Chinese, and could that have any remote connection with the late publication date?

-- Alan

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 23 Nov 2008, 18:48

> When did Japan first adopt ID tags for her troops?

> When German soldiers were transferred to from one unit to another, they sometimes continued to wear their original tags for a time. Maybe this was common for Japanese troops, also?

I don't think it is common in the Japanese. Japanese ID tag had unit name. It is useless in different unit.

> But in any case was a soldier’s blood type durably marked anywhere on his person, since it was not on his dog tag?

Blood transfusion had not been common in the Japanese until the WWII ended. So, the blood type was not necessary.

>
  • -- Navy personnel?

IJN did not use ID tag. They identified dead body by name plate of uniform.

> Pilots and aircrews, whether Army or Navy?

I don't know about them.

> prewar and wartime soldiers?

ID tag did not change since it was adopted.

> This would mean a workman in a paper or lumber mill, in the far north?

On Karafuto, there were pulp factories. The tag would be used in one of these factories.

> Did any other Japanese civilians ever have to wear some kind of ID tags in war zones, or in war-related work?

I don't know. But, I have never heard that the ID tag was used by others than army.

Taki

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 24 Nov 2008, 03:52

stulev wrote:Taki how complete is you list of unit id number -- my list has maybe 20000 entries with some duplication when like the 25th Infantry Regiment were attached to boith the 88th Division and also to the Karafuto Mixed Brigade both KANAME or like 2300 23rd Field Ordnance Depot used Tomi when attached to the 23rd Army or OKI when attached to 17th Army. --- but a lot of numbers are unlisted or unidentified on my list.
My list is the same. It was made by Yomiuri Shimbun journalist. His list has many errors.

Taki

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 24 Nov 2008, 04:57

Alan

The first war dead photo was published in Japanese newspapers in September 1944.Before that nothing was shown of those who had fallen.The photo in question is the one below but it still doesn't show any faces

Peter
Attachments
dead.jpg
dead.jpg (79.46 KiB) Viewed 24266 times

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 23 Feb 2009, 08:12

Photo from The Bone Man of Kokoda,Charles Happell.
This 'dog tag'(or identification disc) was found by Nishimura in 1982 and reads:'8426 First Lieutenant Munenori Kuwabara'.He was a medical officer with the Nankai Shitai..
Attachments
tag.jpg
tag.jpg (100 KiB) Viewed 24060 times

stulev

Post by stulev » 24 Feb 2009, 16:02

I list the unit for code number "8426" as the 55th Divisions number 1 field hospital.

cloudy-joe

Post by cloudy-joe » 07 Mar 2009, 11:50

Dear friends, would you be so kind to help me with the identification of this dogdag?

Toku 4307 - this is one of the Kwantung Army units?
And what does katakana イ sign means?

You also wrote about "list of japanese units id numbers, made by Yomiuri Shimbun journalist"
Is it possible to find this list in the Internet?
Attachments
dogtag.jpg
dogtag.jpg (10.4 KiB) Viewed 23855 times

stulev

Post by stulev » 07 Mar 2009, 14:43

TOKU was the code used for the KWANTUNG DEFENSE ARMY but I do not have number 4307 on my list(Which is far from complete)so I can give no information on the unit. - the code numbers were introduced in 1940-41 so your dog tag is later then that.

Stuart

stulev

Post by stulev » 07 Mar 2009, 14:48

And what does katakana イ sign means?
this would indicate the platoon/company/squad that owner is assigned to and then his number is 7

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”