Stalin Sought Peace Treaty With Hitler?

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Starace

Stalin Sought Peace Treaty With Hitler?

Post by Starace » 27 Nov 2009, 14:29

I point you to do documented evidence in the Russian, Swedish, Bulgarian and German archives that Stalin tried to surrender to Germany in late 1941: ceding essentially the same territory Lenin did in 1918. He also tried to cut a deal with the Finns, returning territory captured during the Winter War if they would drop out of the war (only fears of German occupations kept the Finns from accepting this offer). Stalin tried AGAIN in spring 1942 when it looked like the Germans were about to cut the USSR in two at the Volga.

Taken from here:
- http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 953AARk9pm
The person that wrote that claims to be a military historian. Is there any truth to this?

feildmarshall_rommel

Re: Stalin Sought Peace Treaty With Hitler?

Post by feildmarshall_rommel » 14 Jan 2011, 11:54

yes, it is the truth. When I first heard of Stalin attempting to make contact with german operitives it blew my mind. i dont have an exact link but on youtube.com there is a great documentary series entitled"War of the Century" i do believe it was the 4th or 5th installment it speaks of this matter. Its a great documentary of the war on the eastern front 1941 to 1945. i hope this helps ur quest to find the truth on this matter.

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 23 Jan 2011, 14:16

I believed Stalin's last attempt to parley (via Madame Kollontai, the Soviet ambassador to Sweden) with Hitler was after the Third Battle of Kharkov in 1943 (where several Soviet corps was wiped out) but before the Battle of Kursk.

It seems Hitler contemplating of a peace agreement, but insisted that Germany could only negotiate from the position of strength (meaning a major and substantial victory against the Soviets in the Eastern Front war), and decided that Battle of Kursk was the avenue for it. However it wasn't to be since the Germans did not achieved the victory they wanted at Kursk (despite the II SS Panzer Korps tactical victory in terms of casualties and losses against the Soviets at Prokhorovka)

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 23 Jan 2011, 20:48

Sudoplatov wrote an account in 1953 about probes via Bulgarian Embassy in June 1941, although we he didn't describe exact territorial concessions. As for negotiation in 1942, they most probably mean so-called Mtzensk meeting, which is a fake and fantasy from the beginning to the end. Regrading the Finnish affair see the letter of 4 August 1941 here:
http://books.google.ru/books?id=Cu6mqGH ... 41&f=false

feildmarshall_rommel

Post by feildmarshall_rommel » 01 Feb 2011, 05:26

the documentary"War of Century" claimed that after Keiv was in german hands in 1941 during Operation:Barbarossa Stalin felt that German cause is the East would soon become a succes as in Poland in 1939 and France in 1940, that he was going to ask for armistance terms, but Russian General Zhukov , i do believe, had talked him out of it. And as far as I remmember from the documentary it led to the Soveit counter-assult that had pushed the Wehrmacht from within sight of the Kremlin. And ive also heard of what Art said in his previous post of Hitler maybe seeking the same during the kursk offensive in 1943. Kursk couldve been a success but with the allies landing in Italy in 1943, hitler ordred the 2nd SS panzer Korps to withdraw from the east and was to be sent to Italy to reinforce the Italian boot, thus weaking operation: Zitadelle. Ill get that link from youtube that talks more in depth of the 1941 armistance situation....

LWD

Post by LWD » 01 Feb 2011, 14:57

From 41 up until at least some time in 44 a cease fire was likely to favor the Soviets. If as part of the negotiations all Staling gets is a cease fire of a couple of months he is likely to be in a stronger position than he would have been otherwise. That may have been the real objective of "negotiating" for a peace treaty. Of course this is just MO as to a possiblity.

feildmarshall_rommel

Post by feildmarshall_rommel » 04 Feb 2011, 20:45

heres is that link about the stalin peace attempt in 1941, its begins to tell the story at about 7:00 mins in to it.
this is the link for the 2nd installment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StYywx7Uzok
And it finishes the story of the attempt in the 3rd installment ..

LWD

Post by LWD » 04 Feb 2011, 21:26

As a general observation unless the material is inherentlly visual I find video references to be pretty marginal and often suspect.

feildmarshall_rommel

Post by feildmarshall_rommel » 05 Feb 2011, 09:17

LWD wrote:As a general observation unless the material is inherentlly visual I find video references to be pretty marginal and often suspect.

I agree, but it does atleast give a little bit of creditbility to the subject of the armistance attempt. But, Im sure that there is more research to be done to make sure that this story is accurate.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”