Luigi Fuccia - Italian Hero in the Spanish Civil War

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
JLEES

Luigi Fuccia - Italian Hero in the Spanish Civil War

Post by JLEES » 02 Mar 2003, 16:29

Hello,
I just read a short blurb in a book about Captain Luigi Fuccia, who led his tanks in two assaults on the enemy line and was awarded, posthumously, the first Medaglia d'oro al valore militare in Spain. Fuccia volunteered for the Spanish Civil War and was killed during the Battle of Guadalajara, in April 1937. Furthermore, there was only 20 of these medals given during the Spanish Civil War. I tried doing a Internet search to find a picture of Fuccia and to my surprise there is still a large number of streets throughout Italy bearing his name. I've been trying to find a picture of Fuccia. Does anyone have a picture of this warrior they can share on the Internet?
thanks,
James

Lupo Solitario

Post by Lupo Solitario » 02 Mar 2003, 23:11

dear James

moved by your post I've done a little research on my own. All the quotes about streets named after Luigi Fuccia refer to the little town of Marcianise near Caserta where Fuccia came from.
The Fuccia's tank still exists and is exposed at the italian cavalry museum at Pinerolo, a pic at
http://www.mrhorse.com/museo/Museo017.htm
and the motivation for gold medal is findable at
http://www.quirinale.it/onorificenze/De ... rato=13788 (in italian sorry)
while it seems there's no a pic of himself anywhere

ciao
Lupo

gabriel pagliarani

SHAME

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 03 Mar 2003, 00:23

Ah, Ah! Thanks lupo.. incredible site! There is written litterarly "...gold medal released by Italian Republic, in the while during 1937 Italy was still a Kingdom! And watch the reason of the release: "..by cause of his own everlasting faith in fascism..." Not so fair for an anti-fascist republic born by cause of the resistance! This site has been cured by idiots: next time avoid to point it at the attention of foreigner guests: it is a shame. :x

JLEES

Captain Luigi Fuccia

Post by JLEES » 03 Mar 2003, 00:30

Lupo,
I have the Italian card issued around the time of the Spanish Civil War that depicts a soldier. There is no writing on the back of the card which would indicate whom this is and this tells me he must have been someone well known during the time period. I believe this might be Captain Luigi Fuccia since he was the first posthumously hero of the conflict. The only thing the card does state on the real side is Littorio Divisione, Battalglione Mitraglieri "Palella." Was Fussia in this battalion? Just by looking at this postcard what type of uniform is he wearing? Is this the uniform of someone in Armor?
Thanks,
james

JLEES

The Image

Post by JLEES » 03 Mar 2003, 00:31

I forgot to add the image.
james
Attachments
Forum8.jpg
Forum8.jpg (176.56 KiB) Viewed 1618 times

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”