The German question

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Davey Boy

The German question

Post by Davey Boy » 23 Apr 2002, 15:13

A member of this forum has just asked whether I can forgive the Germans for the things they did to Poland "before I was born" (http://thirdreichforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1698). Umm...yes and no.

I can't forgive the people who committed the crimes, the hard nosed Nazis. Why should I? They're bastards and deserve all they get.

But I don't think there's any need to forgive the Germans who weren't involved in any of the crimes, especially the youngsters. They didn't do anything wrong.

What about Germany, not just the people, but the country and culture as a whole? Can I forgive and forget. Hmm...that's a tough one. It's not just a question of taking into account what happened during WWII. I'd have to go back the Prussian rule of western and northern Poland.

I don't think very much of the Prussians at all. In my opinion, they were just above the Nazis on the scum scale. After all, they hated the Poles and made life miserable for us (that's what first soured the relations between our two nations). So there you have it, the German hostility was not just a Nazi phenomenon, it spanned a great many years, several generations and different political and economic climates.

Now, I know Germany has made a great effort to bury its Nazi and imperialistic past. Kudos to that. And I've liked most of the Germans I've met in my life (including on this forum). In fact, I think Germany's a very cool place to visit (not to steal cars or anything, so don't worry Landser). But looking back at what the Prussians and Nazis did, shouldn't I feel that there's something there to be wary of? I think so. There's a definite pattern. It can't be ignored despite of Germany's recent transformation.

Am I wrong? If so, can someone please explain to me why?

mike262752

Post by mike262752 » 23 Apr 2002, 20:37

groups of people through out history have taken advantage and walked on other groups of people. Should blacks hate America? Should Indians hate America? Should the Chinese hate America? Should Mexico hate America? Should America hate the British? Should the Irish hate the British? Should France hate Germany? Should Russia hate Germany? Should Germany hate Russia?

the list could go on forever.

If ever group/nation kept grudges there would be constant wars. Look at Isrial and Palastine.

mike

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 24 Apr 2002, 04:35

mike262752 wrote:groups of people through out history have taken advantage and walked on other groups of people. Should blacks hate America? Should Indians hate America? Should the Chinese hate America? Should Mexico hate America? Should America hate the British? Should the Irish hate the British? Should France hate Germany? Should Russia hate Germany? Should Germany hate Russia?

the list could go on forever.

If ever group/nation kept grudges there would be constant wars. Look at Isrial and Palastine.

mike

It's not a matter of keeping grudges. It's a matter of being smart.

mike262752

Post by mike262752 » 24 Apr 2002, 05:08

its not being smart when your paranoid about the Nazis rising to power again.

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 24 Apr 2002, 07:01

mike262752 wrote:its not being smart when your paranoid about the Nazis rising to power again.
I'm not paranoid about Nazis raising to power again. I'm paranoid about Germany harming Poland again. Like I said, their despotism in Poland spanned many years and several different political and economic climates. I'm saying there is something there that goes beyond Nazi Germany. Capisce?

MadJim

poland

Post by MadJim » 24 Apr 2002, 08:51

Germany won't harm Poland again- even though Poland was given land it had no right to - and threw about 9 million Germans out of their homes - some of which had been ethnically German for 3 or 400 years. Germanys way now is to write a check. As a European friend said: the new Germany is interested in bringing down borders - not raising new ones. Modern Germans have no stomach for eastern adventures.

Davey Boy

Re: poland

Post by Davey Boy » 24 Apr 2002, 09:37

MadJim wrote:Germany won't harm Poland again- even though Poland was given land it had no right to - and threw about 9 million Germans out of their homes - some of which had been ethnically German for 3 or 400 years. Germanys way now is to write a check. As a European friend said: the new Germany is interested in bringing down borders - not raising new ones. Modern Germans have no stomach for eastern adventures.

Well that's my general assessment of the situation. But there's nothing wrong with being cautious. And there's certainly nothing wrong with reminding some Germans of what happened in the past.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 24 Apr 2002, 10:21

I gave the thread a chance, but it is only going off topic.

/Marcus

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”