Churchill at the Führerbunker

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
scotisle

Churchill at the Führerbunker

Post by scotisle » 13 Apr 2013, 21:32

churchill-chair-numbered.jpg
Many people have seen this image of Churchill sitting on a chair outside the radio station at the Führerbunker. I'm wondering if anyone can identify anyone else in the photo?

1. Brigadier Lewis Lyne
2. Unknown, possibly Brigadier J. M. K. Spaulding
3. UK PM Winston Churchill
4. General Alan Brooke
5. Unknown
6. Unknown
7. Unknown
8. Unknown, possibly Georgi Zhukov
9. Unknown

Any IDs would be appreciated. Thanks!

phylo_roadking

Re: Churchill at the Führerbunker

Post by phylo_roadking » 13 Apr 2013, 21:46

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 685683.stm
Mr Churchill, accompanied by Foreign Minister Anthony Eden and his daughter Mary Churchill, was greeted at the Brandenburg Gate by Colonel-General Gorabotov, the Soviet Military Governor of Berlin.

The US President was driven in the summer heat through battle scarred avenues and past refugees camping out on the roadside.His car stopped at the ruins of the old Reichs Chancery from where Hitler made his speeches.

He declined an invitation by Soviet Major-General Sidnev to inspect the building and drove on.

When Mr Churchill arrived, he was also greeted by the major-general, and his party got out of the car and walked through a crowd of amazed onlookers whispering: "It's Churchill, see the cigar."

At a guess, then, one of the Soviet officers will be Sidnev???
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 13 Apr 2013, 21:48

Another view of the Visit...

http://www.infocenters.co.il/gfh/multim ... /12554.jpg

It's a BIG, well-detailed pic so I didn't try to shrink it.

One of the civilians will be Alexander Cadogan, Permanent Secretary at the Foreign Office, who accompanied Winston on the visit. Looking in Brian Lavery's Churchill Goes To War:Churchill's Wartime Journeys - another two of the British uniformed figures would be Gen. Ismay, and a Captain Richard Pim of the Ulster division of the RNVR; Pim was seconded to Churchill as his aide when he became First Lord of the Admiralty, and with promotion to captain followed him to Downing Street in 1940. He was in the bunker party...but must have been in Army BD.

In regards to your initial picture, however...http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/212 ... lth-scares
The young Russian soldier suddenly held on to the unsteady, elderly man who had paused for breath. Then, walking very slowly, he helped him towards a battered chair propped against a bullet-riddled wall. Perched on the very edge of the chair, the man mopped his brow with a huge handkerchief – and then lit a large cigar.

The shaky figure was Winston Churchill and he had just been on a personal pilgrimage of triumph to Hitler’s bunker in Berlin, where the Führer had committed suicide alongside his new bride, Eva Braun. It was May 1945.
Last edited by phylo_roadking on 13 Apr 2013, 22:14, edited 3 times in total.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 13 Apr 2013, 22:01

gambadier

Post by gambadier » 14 Apr 2013, 06:34

I don't think No 4 is Brooke, he has a beret which seems to be something other than dark blue with a badge that is clearly not that of general officer. Not sure about No 8 being Zhukov, the chin looks about OK but the nose doesn't look like Zhukov.

scotisle

Post by scotisle » 18 Apr 2013, 15:28

Okay, thanks to everyone for their input. I think this is the identification:

1. Brigadier Lewis Lyne
2. Unknown, possibly Brigadier J. M. K. Spaulding
4. General Alan Brooke (Alan Brooke was definitely there - I don't know who else this might be - Harold Alexander?)
5.Lord Moran, (Charles Wilson) Churchill's personal physician
6. Unknown
7. Unknown
8. Soviet General Alexander Gorbatov
9. Soviet General Alexsei Sidnev

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 18 Apr 2013, 17:23

Scotsisle, I'm not sure about Lord Moran - http://www.librarything.com/author/moranlord

scotisle

Post by scotisle » 18 Apr 2013, 17:31

Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 5.26.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 5.26.06 PM.png (94.36 KiB) Viewed 3350 times
Lord Moran was there; Here's the relevant page from his diary. I was wondering, who would be confident enough to pull Churchill off the chair? His personal physician. If you add glasses to the photo you posted, it looks like him. He was in the Royal Medical Corps so he would have worn a uniform.

But the ID is a guess, of course, I'm not 100% sure of anyone but Churchill.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 18 Apr 2013, 19:39

But did Moran wear glasses? The few pics online of him would indicate no - whereas whoever that is was wearing them daily.

Also - regarding the BD, he was the Dean of St Mary's Hospital Medical School from 1920 to 1945! He was in the RAMC in the First World War...

scotisle

Post by scotisle » 18 Apr 2013, 23:16

Well, the webmaster at unithistories.com says my other IDs for #1 and #4 are wrong, so I wouldn't be surprised if #5 is wrong too. So here's where we are:

1. Unknown
2. Unknown
4. Unknown
5. Unknown
6. Unknown
7. Unknown
8. Soviet General Alexander Gorbatov
9. Unknown, possibly Soviet General Alexsei Sidnev

I'm pretty sure it's Gorbatov because I have a photo from Univ. of Texas with him and Simpson and he's wearing the same uniform.
http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth18333/

But other than that, I'm no further along than when I started :-)

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 19 Apr 2013, 00:57

Just noticed something...

Take a look at the big pic I posted up....http://www.infocenters.co.il/gfh/multim ... /12554.jpg

...the "no.4" in your pic is wearing a sidearm! And I can't help noticing again that whatever it is, that's not khaki he's wearing; would it be one of Churchill's police bodyguards? I also note he wasn't priviledged to go into the Bunker with him, he was one of the group that had to wait outisde!

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”