Is the book "The Black March" fiction or non-ficti

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Yossi

Is the book "The Black March" fiction or non-ficti

Post by Yossi » 20 Apr 2003, 05:49

I recently came across the book Black March by Peter Neumann in a used book store and am reading it. I had heard good things about it in the past but now that I'm reading it I increasing doubt that it is a true story as I've read it is and that it may well be fiction. I've noticed some glaring "mistakes"....when I now look it up online I haven't found a definative answer anywhere but I did see this in a review for the book Masters of Death
Rhodes also uses two excerpts from the alleged autobiography "The Black March" by Peter Neumann. Unfortunately, as I understand it, Neumanns book was long ago revealed to be a fake -- the name is a pseudonym and the author never served in military or SS.
So is it or not? I thought the experts here would know for sure and I'd like to know if what I strongly suspect is true (BTW I found the book in the store in the history section not with novels).

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: "The Black March" - Fiction or Non-fiction?

Post by Robert Rojas » 20 Apr 2003, 07:09

Greetings to both brother Yossi and the community as a whole. In reference to your inquiry of Sunday - April 20, 2003 - 4:49am, you might consider reviewing a thread entitled as EARLY N.K.V.D. ATROCITIES which is located within the HOLOCAUST & WARCRIMES section of the forum. The thread's author is cousin Benoit Douville and its creation date is Thursday - March 20, 2003 - 2:47am. The subject of the literary work entitled as THE BLACK MARCH is discussed within the body of this thread. Since yours truly is a participant in this "discussion", I will forego any PRO or CON position on the subject. I would suggest that you review the thread's contents and draw your conclusions about the authenticity of this work. That's my two pfennigs on the subject. In anycase, I would like to bid you a wonderful day from sea to shining sea.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :)

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 21 Apr 2003, 04:19

Definitely fiction. If the entire book is not completely fiction than much of it must be. His father being taken away because he objected to his rebellious daughter marrying an SS officer? His falling in love with a Jewish girl who has to go into hiding, only to sneak back on leave to see her? Going to a "stud farm" to further the "master race"?

No, this book goes way over the top. It is an interesting novel to read, and since you have not finished I won't comment on the ending, but you can bet it is just as dramatic as the rest of the book.

I rank this book right alongside "The Long Walk" about a Polish officer and his British, American and other nationalities of freinds who escape from Siberia and hike all the way to India. Across Siberia in the winter and some desert (the Gobi?) during the summer. And this is supposed to be a true story.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”