Anne Frank...

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Timo

Anne Frank...

Post by Timo » 24 Apr 2003, 22:42

Despite new research Dutch historians did not manage to identify the person(s) who betrayed the Frank family to the Germans in 1944. This is the main conclusion of the report following this new research from the Dutch Institute for War Documentation (NIOD), which will be presented tomorrow.

The NIOD researched the case for the third time, following two recent books about Anne Frank, in which two new suspects were presented. However, the NIOD says it's out of the question that any of the know three suspects is guilty.

PolAntek

Post by PolAntek » 25 Apr 2003, 00:56

Some time ago I recall seeing a program where it was said that much of the Anne Frank story is a clever fabrication by her father or another close relative. I remember that the evidence presented was quite compelling, although I haven’t heard anything about this since. Is this some revisionist attempt or is there substance to this?

Emerson Begolly

Post by Emerson Begolly » 25 Apr 2003, 01:55

What ever became of the Gestapo agent who captured Anne Frank and her family?
I would like a name, important life dates, and post war life; a brief biography would be nice.
IN ENGLISH PLEASE!!!!

Thanks,
Em.

Timo

Post by Timo » 25 Apr 2003, 02:00

Is that an order? :?

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 25 Apr 2003, 02:36

PolAntek wrote:Some time ago I recall seeing a program where it was said that much of the Anne Frank story is a clever fabrication by her father or another close relative. I remember that the evidence presented was quite compelling, although I haven’t heard anything about this since. Is this some revisionist attempt or is there substance to this?
I think the book as published takes considerable literary-artistic license, which makes the "diary's" historical value questionable. However, it doesn't change its literary value.
:)

Mike K.

Post by Mike K. » 25 Apr 2003, 02:48

I've only seen the old movie, in my Junior High History class.

I think that was the extent of our WWII course.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 25 Apr 2003, 03:05

We had to read the Diary of Anne Frank in school and then we were treated to U.S. Army Signal Corps atrocity newreels about the liberation of the concentration camps. We also saw a Zionist film about the ill-fated ship St. Louis that the Americans wouldn't take and the British refused into Palestine. The passengers were sent back to Germany to be gassed.
:roll:
The Dachau Gaschamber.

"Although this picture, taken on April 30 by T/4 Sidney Blau, is captioned as the gas chambers being examined by a Seventh Army soldier, they are in fact the decontamination rooms for the clothing removed from the dead located at the extreme western end of the crematorium building ..." (Mollo, Andrew. After The Battle magazine., No. 27, 1980, page 17)

http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/camps/dachau

chalutzim

Post by chalutzim » 25 Apr 2003, 13:38

Scott Smith wrote:(...) The passengers were sent back to Germany to be gassed.
Oh really?

http://www.blechner.com/ssstlouis.htm

chalutzim

Post by chalutzim » 25 Apr 2003, 13:43

Scott Smith wrote: (...) I think the book as published takes considerable literary-artistic license, which makes the "diary's" historical value questionable. However, it doesn't change its literary value.
Maybe Victor Klemperer's diary also has a "questionable historical value"? :?

Timo

Post by Timo » 25 Apr 2003, 14:14

See how once again mentioning the name Anne Frank triggers another "is the diary a hoax" discussion :roll:

Gentlemen, the thread is about who betrayed the Frank family, not to go over the absurde questioning of the authenticity of the diary once more.

jeff
Banned

Post by jeff » 25 Apr 2003, 16:04

using a 'biro' is the absurd part, poor old otto the call of cash must have been to strong to resist

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 25 Apr 2003, 16:21

chalutzim wrote:
Scott Smith wrote:(...) The passengers were sent back to Germany to be gassed.
Oh really?

http://www.blechner.com/ssstlouis.htm
Well, your source says:
Only few of the those who were taken in by the other countries would survive their later occupation by the Nazis.
What I remember from the film is something like "sent back to Germany as a present for Hitler's gas chambers," or something to that effect. The film ended with a happy ending for survivors in Israel fighting for a foothold inside a sea of Arab tyranny.

chalutzim wrote:
Scott Smith wrote:(...) I think the book as published takes considerable literary-artistic license, which makes the "diary's" historical value questionable. However, it doesn't change its literary value.
Maybe Victor Klemperer's diary also has a "questionable historical value"?
Unless it was "massaged" for literary purposes it would be a primary source, although retrospective and not contemporaneous.
Last edited by Scott Smith on 25 Apr 2003, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

chalutzim

Post by chalutzim » 25 Apr 2003, 16:29

Scott Smith wrote:What I remember from the film is something like "sent back to Germany as a present for Hitler's gas chambers," or something to that effect. The film ended with a happy ending for survivors in Israel fighting for a foothold inside a sea of Arab tyranny.
Scott, I'm alluding the fact that they were refugees (in France, Holland and Belgium), and not passengers, when they were sent back to Germany. That ones which found refuge in Britain obviously weren't sent to camps.

chalutzim

Post by chalutzim » 25 Apr 2003, 16:52

Timo, have you already read this article? If not, I'm afraid you won't find any new fact, though.

http://www.annefrank.nl/news/uploads/ACF19F.doc
Timo wrote:This is the main conclusion of the report following this new research from the Dutch Institute for War Documentation (NIOD), which will be presented tomorrow.
Where I can find this report? Thanks.

Timo

Post by Timo » 25 Apr 2003, 17:45

I just checked. Both the Dutch and English text of the report can be downloaded from the NIOD site

http://www.niod.nl

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”