OMAKAITSE

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Reigo

Post by Reigo » 12 Aug 2003, 12:00

Maxis wrote:
From late 1943 with a pool of new OK recruits, OK cadres and volunteers, german Orpo succesfully formed 6+1 Grenzschutz-Regimenter: again a very hard effort for OK; but this effort was not the last one.
The Border Defence Regiments were formed from the mobilized men in 1944.

Here's some additional information about Estonians in German army.

In the summer-autumn of 1941 there was formed five Sicherungsgruppen in the 18th Army: nr. 181-185. The men were volunteers. In Narva there was the Ersatz Sicherungsgruppe. In February 1942 also the 186th Sicherungsgruppe was formed. It did not achieve full strenght and wasn't sent to the front. In autumn 1942 it was disbanded and men sent to the reserve group in Narva. Two companies from the Estonian groups acted independently: companies nr 13 (183th Group) and 17 (184th group). On 1st May 1942 the Estonian Sicherungs units had 4050 men. By the beginning of November 1942 the Sicherungsgruppen were formed into Ostbattalions nr. 658, 659, 660 and Ostkompanie nr. 657 (former 13th Sicherungs company). In Narva the reserve unit also was renamed accordingly. On 1st August 1943 the Estonian Ost Btls were given under Waffen-SS but this institution wasn't really interested in them. In April 1944 on the base of the 660th Btl the 3rd Btl/46th SS Rgt was formed. On the base of 658th Btl the 1st Btl/47th SS-Rgt was formed and on the base of 659th Btl the 2nd Btl/47th SS-Rgt was formed. The 657th company was divided between the units of 20th SS-Div.

AG "Nord" formed in 1941 from volunteers several Schuma units: Estnische Schutzmannschafts-Abteilung Dorpat, Fellin und Poltsamaa (in the beginning of 1942 the units recieved numbers 37, 38, 39 and the name Sicherungs Btl). Also a Bau-Abt (from the beginning of 1942 42nd Sich Btl) was formed and a reserve abt in Tartu (from the beginning of 1942 the 41st Sich Btl). SD formed the Pleskov Schutzmannschaft (from the beginning of 1942 the 40th Sich Btl). The units (except the reserve units) were in action in Russia. In 1943 the Sich Btls were subordinated to the Orpo and the name Polizei Battailon was started to use. In 1943 the 39th Btl was disbanded, men were given into 3rd SS-Brigade and 287th Polizei Btl. The 37th, 38th and 40th Battalions were sent to the Daugavpils area in July 1944 as the 2nd Estonian Police Regiment. In August the regiment was disbanded. 37th and 38th Btl were sent to the Tartu front. 40th Btl was disbanded in August and men were given to other units. The memebers of these battalions, which arrived later Germany, were given into the 20th SS.

In autumn 1941 the SS and Polizei Führer in Estonia gave the order to form Wacht Scutzmannschaft Battailons. The men were volunteers. The 29th Btl was at first in guarding duties in Tallinn, then in March 1942 was sent to the Leningrad front, where it was until January 1943. Then was brought to Estonia and disbanded due losses and because many had left to the Estonian Legion. The 33rd Btl was sent to the Leningrad front at the beginning of 1942 where it remained until December 1942. Then it was disbanded in Estonia. The 30th, 31st and 32nd Btls were probably formed in 1942 and disbanded by January 1943. Probably they didn't achieve full strenght and were located always in Estonia. The 34th Btl was disbanded already in 1942 and the men were given into the 36th Btl. The number 34 was given to an another Estonian unit which had been in Org "Todt". The 35th Btl was formed at the beginning of 1942, but soon the men from this unit were sent to the 33rd Btl. In spring 1943 part of the men from the disbanded 33rd Btl were transfered to the 35th Btl and it was renamed as the 35th Reserve Schutzmanns. Btl. It was then located in Tallinn and in the end of summer 1944 was evacuated to Germany. The 36th Front Schutzm. Btl. was formed from the end of 1941. In 1942 sent to Belorussia, then in Ukraine guarded POWs, then to the front near Stalingrad and lost there 39 KIA, 97 WIA, 11 MIA. In the beginning of 1943 it was transported to Estonia and was disbanded.

By August 1942 in the Org "Todt" there were six Estonian companies (volunteers) - 1000 men - in the area of Pskov. Four of these companies were subordinated to OT Estonian Defence Commando. They secured the construction works against partisans. In 1942 the commando was renamed into 34th Scutzmannschaft Front Btl and subordinated to Orpo. It seems that the unit was also renamed into 34th Police Btl.

Under the Kriegsmarine there was Estonian Coast Defence Rgt. Formed from volunteers in autumn 1941 and disbanded in the spring of 1942.

In Germany in 1941 was formed Polizei Btl "Ostland" (from the beginning of 1942 - 304th Polizei Btl) which included Estonians (two companies) and Latvians (one company) who had gone to Germany in 1940-41. By September 1943 all the Estonians were removed this unit.

In a previous post I have mentioned already the battalions formed from Omakaitse (nr. 29-33). Since they were subordinated to Orpo their title was Polizei Btl. The 30th Polizei Btl participated in battles on the Narva front until March 1944, then it was on the coast guard. Also the 31st and 32nd Btls were on the Narva front. The 33rd Btl participated in battles against the Soviet landing in Mehikoorma area (January 1944). The battalions nr. 30-33 were disbanded in summer 1944 and the men were given into 37th, 38th and 40th Polizei Btl. It seems that the 29th Btl was completely destroyed on the Narva front in February 1944.

In 1943 and at the beginning of 1944 several police units were formed (at first named as Schutzm Btls but in December 1943 all were renamed into Polizei Btl). 286th Btl formed from field police in May 1943. It got also men from the disbanded 36th Front Schutzm Btl. In autumn fought against partisans in Poland and Belorussia then at fought at the Nevel front. About 200 men returned to Estonia and then got back their former posts. The battalion was after that manned with mobilized men and was used in coast-guard. Most men remained in Estonia during the German retreat. 287th Polizei Wacht Btl was formed from the men of 33rd, 36th Schutzm Btl, 39th Sich Btl and Estonians who deserted from the Red Army at Velikie-Luki (over 1 800 Estonians from the 8th Estonian Rifle Corps were captured there - mostly deserters). Later also mobilized men were sent to this unit. The btl guarded different objects (including POW and KZ camps). The btl was evacuated to Germany and the men given into 20th SS. 288th Polizei Füsilier-Battailon was formed in 1943 from the men of several disbanded units and from mobilized men. In September the btl was in Vilno then fought against the partisans in Belorussia. Later in Estonia had coast-guard duty and largely remained in Estonia. There is little information about 289th, 291st, 292nd Polizei Füsilier-Battailons. It seems that they were at the Narva front in 1944. Nothing is known about the 290th and 293rd Polizei Btl.(were they even formed at all?). 286th, 288th, 291st and 292nd btls were subordinated to the 1st Estonian Police regiment in April 1944. The regiment had coast-guard duty (Gulf of Finland in the Narva area). By July the regiment was disbanded and on the basis of the staff the staff of the 2nd Estonian Police regiment was formed.

I have found also a mention of the1st Estonian SS Special Company.

In 1944 five Construction-Pioneer Battalions were formed from Russians who were citizens of Estonia in 1940. The members were mobilized.

There was also the SD 1st Special Battalion formed from Estonians. It is known that at the end of 1943 it fought against partisans in Belorussia.

In February 1944 seven border defense regiments were formed (1-6 and Rgt "Tallinn"). Rgt "Tallinn" (2007 men) was sent to the Narva front on 13th February (later disbanded and men sent to the 20th SS). There was also training-reserve regiment for the BD regiments (on 1st April renamed into 1st Estonian SS-Reserve Regiment).

The Estonian units on 1st April 1944 (the list obviously is not complete and it doesn't include most of the Omakaitse):
20th SS-Division - 5 000 men (the estimation is for May 1944)
The reserve units of the 20th SS-Division in Klooga - 9 157 men
Rgt "Tallinn" - 1 647 men
1st Border-Defence Rgt - 2 501 men
2nd B-D R - 2 520 men
3rd B-D R - 2 646 men
4th B-D R - 2 152 men
5th B-D R - 2 386 men
6th B-D R - 2 577 men
1st Estonian SS-Reserve Rgt - 2 986 men
Major J. Lääne's training unit in Tartu - 585 men
Reserve units by the staffs of the Omakaitse in Viljandi, Tartu and Pärnu (subordinated to the 1st Estonian SS-Reserve Rgt) - 4 372 men
Police Battalions nr 29-34, 37, 38, 40, 42 - about 4 000 men
286th Police Btl - 692 men
288th Police Btl - 198 men
289th Police Btl - 600 men (estimation for 1st March 1944)
SD 1st Special Battalion - 500 men (estimation for 1st March 1944)
Three SD training companies - 400 men (estimation for 1st March 1944)
Jagdkommandos - 612 men
Custom Border Defence Btl nr. 43-45 - 600 men (estimation for 1st March 1944)
Four construction-pioner battalions - 2 361 men (Russians actually)
Estonian air units and flight school - 700 men (1st March 1944)
35th Reserve Battalion - 400 men
41st Reserve Battalion - 600 men (1st March 1944)
Btl "Narva" - 100 men
Ost Battalions nr. 658-660 - 800 men
Other smaller units and services - about 1 000 men

Alltogether about 52 000 men and it seems taht this number doesn't include wounded in hospitals. Also it doesn't include most of the Omakaitse.

MAXIS

Post by MAXIS » 12 Aug 2003, 19:39

Hi Reigo

Many thks for infos. I have checked my files and updated. But some little doubts remained
Reigo wrote: The reserve units of the 20th SS-Division in Klooga - 9 157 men
I think SS-Ausbildungs und Ersatz Regiment (or Bataillon) 20. Could you confirm?
Reigo wrote: 1st Estonian SS-Reserve Rgt - 2 986 men
I think Ersaz-und Ausbindungs-Regiment 1 (Viljandi Tagavara Rugement or 1 Tagavara ja Valiaroppe Rugement) with 37-38 and 287 Estnische-polizei-bataillons ( and not Estnische-Grenzschutz-Ersatz-Regiment). Could you confirm?
On yr opinion, was this regiment formally under Orpo or under Waffen-SS? (for me was the first one, but not 100% sure).

Reigo wrote: Major J. Lääne's training unit in Tartu - 585 men
I have a Maj. Theodor Laane in Narva as Co. of local OK unit (Estnische-Selbstschutz-Regiment Narva ??) with theorical strenght of 1000 men till September 1943. Is it the same man and unit? If not what title of Laane’s unit?

Reigo wrote: Four construction-pioner battalions - 2 361 men (Russians actually)
were they under Wehrmacht? I have no data about bataillons like this, connected with Orpo: instead I have so-called Estnische-Bau-Pionier-Bataillone 1-5 (1-4 disbanded on December 1944, fifth probably before) under Wehrmacht: were they the same units?

Reigo wrote: Btl "Narva" - 100 men
Bataillon “Narwa”
I think you talk about SS-Ersatz-bataillon “Narwa” (then III/Regiment Reval), not (ex) SS-Freiw-Pz-Gren-Btn “Narwa” (then Fusilier-Bataillon/20).
Could you confirm Ersatz Narva assigned to 20 SS too? (possible but not 100% sure as Bender/Taylor)

OOOOO

Have you any idea of so-called POLIZEI-KAMPFGRUPPE “BREUL” assigned to 20 SS between january 45 to march 45?
Estnische-Schuma-bataillon 50: quoted by Tessin. Any idea about it? (fm September 42 to June 43)

Many thks again

Max

MAXIS

Post by MAXIS » 12 Aug 2003, 20:20

MAXIS wrote:
Reigo wrote: 1st Estonian SS-Reserve Rgt - 2 986 men
I think Ersaz-und Ausbindungs-Regiment 1 (Viljandi Tagavara Rugement or 1 Tagavara ja Valiaroppe Rugement) with 37-38 and 287 Estnische-polizei-bataillons ( and not Estnische-Grenzschutz-Ersatz-Regiment). Could you confirm?
On yr opinion, was this regiment formally under Orpo or under Waffen-SS? (for me was the first one, but not 100% sure).
My confusion with files :roll: : pls consider as deleted!

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 14 Aug 2003, 11:15

Hello!
Reigo wrote:

The reserve units of the 20th SS-Division in Klooga - 9 157 men

I think SS-Ausbildungs und Ersatz Regiment (or Bataillon) 20. Could you confirm?
It should be SS-Ausbildungs und Ersatz Regiment 20.
Reigo wrote:

1st Estonian SS-Reserve Rgt - 2 986 men

There were plans to subordinate the BD Regiments to SS. From 1st April the Ersaz-und Ausbindungs-Regiment 1 was renamed as the 1st Estonian SS-Reserve Rgt. Later also the BD Regiments got title SS.

Reigo wrote:

Major J. Lääne's training unit in Tartu - 585 men

I have a Maj. Theodor Laane in Narva as Co. of local OK unit (Estnische-Selbstschutz-Regiment Narva ??) with theorical strenght of 1000 men till September 1943. Is it the same man and unit? If not what title of Laane’s unit?
I have no idea. The information about Major J. Lääne's training unit in Tartu comes from an archival source. Do you use the "Eesti Vabadusvõitlejad II maailmasõjas"?

Reigo wrote:

Four construction-pioner battalions - 2 361 men (Russians actually)

were they under Wehrmacht? I have no data about bataillons like this, connected with Orpo: instead I have so-called Estnische-Bau-Pionier-Bataillone 1-5 (1-4 disbanded on December 1944, fifth probably before) under Wehrmacht: were they the same units?
I guess they are the same (but only a guess).

Reigo wrote:

Btl "Narva" - 100 men

Bataillon “Narwa”
I think you talk about SS-Ersatz-bataillon “Narwa” (then III/Regiment Reval), not (ex) SS-Freiw-Pz-Gren-Btn “Narwa” (then Fusilier-Bataillon/20).
Could you confirm Ersatz Narva assigned to 20 SS too? (possible but not 100% sure as Bender/Taylor)
It should be the SS-Freiw-Pz-Gren-Btn “Narwa”. It was subordinated to the 20th SS only on 18th April. BTW the Rgt Tallinn included battalions Viljandi, Pärnu and Tartu. I think the SS-Ersatz-bataillon “Narwa” is the reserve unit of Ostbattalionen in Narva (remember the Ostbattalionen were formally under SS).

OOOOO
Have you any idea of so-called POLIZEI-KAMPFGRUPPE “BREUL” assigned to 20 SS between january 45 to march 45?
Estnische-Schuma-bataillon 50: quoted by Tessin. Any idea about it? (fm September 42 to June 43)
About Breul: I have only information from Michaelis' book (Estonian edition): on page 96 he writes that when the KG Rehfeldt was disbanded on 1st March 1945 then 180 men from this KG were sent into the Police KG Breul. This KG Breul was leaded by police hauptmann Breul and the KG included West-Prussian II Police Regiment. The KG was sent to the front in Silesia near Tillowitz where also the 20th SS was nearby. Anyway from here I got the impression that KG Breul was sent to the front in March.
But on page 98 Michaelis writes that on 26th January 1945 the 20th SS was reinforced with the Police KG Breul.

Also here's a piece of information from Michaelis:
on 15th May 1942 the Estonian Sicherungsgruppen were subordinated to Orpo and they got the title Schutzmanns. Btl 281-286. Soon they were again subordinated to Wehrmacht and were formed into Ost Battalions.

Do you have any information about:
SD 1st Special Battalion
1st Estonian SS Special Company
Police Battalions 290 and 293

Best Regards,

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 14 Aug 2003, 11:35

Sorry, forgot to answer this:
I don't know anything about this unit. Maybe it existed only on paper and wasn't really formed?

MAXIS

Post by MAXIS » 14 Aug 2003, 17:36

Hi Reigo

POLIZEI-KAMPFGRUPPE “BREUL”
We have the following infos:
Bender/Taylor states that KG Breul joined 20 SS between 22/1/45 and 20/3/45 (a bit generic!) and Michaelis (I’m sure that he frequently used Bender/Taylor as source) also talks about january 45.
Tessin, instead, states that POLIZEI-REGIMENT 2 was assigned to XL Panzer-Korps in Slesia till March 45, but never quote a KG Breul (as it was not existing...). Then (fm March) PR 2 disappeared fm Tessin’s......

Consequently we could suppose (but this is a speculation only) that Polizei-Regiment 2 remained active (as organized regiment) until late February, (on 22/2/45 II/Polizei-Regiment 2 was assigned to V SS-Gebirgs-Armee-Korps) then was reorganized/absorbed as/into KG Breul. Then, on late March, KG Breul was assigned to 20 SS: in this way, I agreed with yr impression.

ESTNISCHE-POLIZEI-BATAILLON 50
Effectively this Btn was quoted by Tessin only, disbanded on Juni 1943 and between September 42 March 1943 in Tallinn. On “Estonian Freedomfighter on WWII” btn was mentioned, but lack of informations.....
Ancillary number “50” was assigned to KdO Reval but if this number was used effectively, remains a mistery....

ESTNISCHE-POLIZEI-BATAILLONE 290 and 293
Looks at my PM

SD 1 SPECIAL-BATAILLON (zbv?) & 1 Estnische-SS Special Kp
No infos about: I would to know more......

ESTNISCHE-SICHERUNGSGRUPPEN
I’m disconcerted...... 8O
I knows that Sich-Gruppen 181-186 were reorganized into Ost-Bataillonen 657-660 on October 1942; a gap seems to exist between data 15/5/42 (quoted by Michaelis) and October 1942: a gap, during which, Orpo in Estonia could have opened ancillary numbers Schuma 281-286.....
But, as for my infos, numbers 281-285 were assigned to Lettonia (Kdo Riga) not Estonia.....
(But we have to consider that in Lettonia numbers 281-285 were used beginning fm late 1942 and this seems to confirm Michaelis thesis – and this would explain a lot of things.....)
Any idea about?

MAJ LAANE’S UNIT and OK
Looks at my PM

OOOO
About Ostbataillone under SS jurisdiction:
I imagine this fact happened during 1944 when all tiny (and formal) differences between two stucture disappeared into emergency situation: is it right?

Thks a lot
Max

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 14 Aug 2003, 18:09

ESTNISCHE-POLIZEI-BATAILLON 50
Effectively this Btn was quoted by Tessin only, disbanded on Juni 1943 and between September 42 March 1943 in Tallinn. On “Estonian Freedomfighter on WWII” btn was mentioned, but lack of informations.....
Ancillary number “50” was assigned to KdO Reval but if this number was used effectively, remains a mistery....
One should be aware that the "Estonian Freedomfighter on WWII” is not always a very accurate source. It has been pointed out that it contains many mistakes.
But, as for my infos, numbers 281-285 were assigned to Lettonia (Kdo Riga) not Estonia.....
(But we have to consider that in Lettonia numbers 281-285 were used beginning fm late 1942 and this seems to confirm Michaelis thesis – and this would explain a lot of things.....)
Any idea about?
Sorry,I can't add anything more.
About Ostbataillone under SS jurisdiction:
I imagine this fact happened during 1944 when all tiny (and formal) differences between two stucture disappeared into emergency situation: is it right?
They were given under SS already on 1st August 1943.

Best Regards,

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 26 Dec 2006, 17:45

Hey guys,

I've read somewhere, don't ask me where, I really can remember, that the Ost-Ersatz-Bataillon 'Narva' was integrated into the 20. Waffen-Grenadier-Division in April 1944. It's commander was a Wehrmacht-officer and also the officers within the Bataillon-HQ were Wehrmach-officers. This Bataillon wass formed around survivors from the Regiment 'Reval' and it was destroyed at the Tannenberg-linien. The other name for this unit was 'Einheit Fischer'.

I don't know if this Bataillon was the samen as SS-Feld-Ersatz-Bataillon 20 or as SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 'Narwa' but I just wanted to share this info with you.

Maybe somebody with some more knowledge about the 20. Waffen-Division can help us with this.

Greetings,
Mike

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 26 Dec 2006, 19:28

Hi Everyone -

When reading this, one thing is certain: a definitive history of the 20th Division has yet to appear in English or German. Perhaps one of our members who speaks German and Estonian can remedy this historical "void."

George

Arensburger

Post by Arensburger » 27 Dec 2006, 14:31

Mikedc wrote:...I've read somewhere, don't ask me where, I really can remember, that the Ost-Ersatz-Bataillon 'Narva' was integrated into the 20. Waffen-Grenadier-Division in April 1944. It's commander was a Wehrmacht-officer and also the officers within the Bataillon-HQ were Wehrmach-officers.... I don't know if this Bataillon was the samen as SS-Feld-Ersatz-Bataillon 20 or as SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 'Narwa' but I just wanted to share this info with you.
Maybe somebody with some more knowledge about the 20. Waffen-Division can help us with this.
Yes of course, this name „Narwa” making many misunderstandings. Actually there was well known SS-Freiw-Pz-Gren-Btn “Narwa” belonged to the „WIKING” division. Remains of this battalion, after the battles of Tšerkassy, were transferred to the 20. division and become SS-Waffen-Füsilier Battalion 20. From the book of Bat. Narva:
Our unit was reinforced detached SS armored grenadier battalion called «Narva» and it belonged to the division «Wiking». Our neighbors were the famous regiments «Westland» and «Germania».
Georg Eberhardt, the battalion commander, was proud of his men: «I have had the best soldiers in Europe under my command, but I have never before seen such desperadoes as Estonians» (which certainly was meant to express admiration). He had no cause for disappointment, the battalion was excellently trained for battle. They were effective elite soldiers waiting for their turn.
After the fierce battles at Cherkassy the battalion was sent to Estonia and after a rest it was moved to Kehra. The new men of the reinforcement soon acquired the spirit of the experienced fighters of the «Narva». Although the «Narva» had officially become the Twentieth Fusilier Battalion, the old name still persisted. For instance, Commander of the Corps Felix Steiner used this name in his address to the battalion fighters before the decisive battles at Auvere.
At Auvere a number of recently trained men joined the battle, nevertheless, the battalion deserved credit for its achievements. In his memoirs General Steiner attaches special importance to these battles: «One had the impression that the days at Verdun and on the Somme of World War I had returned. In these days thousands of soldiers were killed in the Sinimae Hills...»
The sanguinary battles in the Sinimae Hills, the most extensive and violent in Estonia during World War II, caused substantial damage to materiel and heavy losses in manpower. The Third Armored Corps together with the Estonian units, which made up one third of the men, were positioned in the «Tannenberg Linie», facing the overwhelming Red Army forces and blocking their offensive in North Estonia. This line of defense stemmed a rapid advance of the Russians on Tallinn and enabled thousands of Estonians to flee to the West.
In these battles the battalion «Narva» suffered a great misfortune: Oskar Ruut, who fulfilled the duties of the battalion commander, was killed in action.
At Krivasoo the command of the battalion was taken over by First Lieutenant Hando Ruus, the most popular officer in the «Narva». But by that time the commander-in-chief had decided to give up Estonia.
On September 18 Major-General Franz Augsberger addressed the commanders of regiments: «The present moment is the most grievous in my life. Performing my duty I am obliged to give orders to the Estonian soldiers who dearly love their fatherland that they should surrender their country to the hated enemy — communist Russia. I understand clearly what it means for your country and your people. War is cruel and nobody knows what the future has in store for him...»
For the battalion «Narva» the war came to an end on the approaches to Ambla on September 22.
This was the story of one unit called "Narva" (Narwa in German)
Story of another "Narva" beginning in 1941
Reigo wrote:In the summer-autumn of 1941 there was formed five Sicherungsgruppen in the 18th Army: nr. 181-185. The men were volunteers. In Narva there was the Ersatz Sicherungsgruppe. In February 1942 also the 186th Sicherungsgruppe was formed. It did not achieve full strenght and wasn't sent to the front. In autumn 1942 it was disbanded and men sent to the reserve group in Narva. Two companies from the Estonian groups acted independently: companies nr 13 (183th Group) and 17 (184th group). On 1st May 1942 the Estonian Sicherungs units had 4050 men. By the beginning of November 1942 the Sicherungsgruppen were formed into Ostbattalions nr. 658, 659, 660 and Ostkompanie nr. 657 (former 13th Sicherungs company). In Narva the reserve unit also was renamed accordingly. On 1st August 1943 the Estonian Ost Btls were given under Waffen-SS but this institution wasn't really interested in them. In April 1944 on the base of the 660th Btl the 3rd Btl/46th SS Rgt was formed. On the base of 658th Btl the 1st Btl/47th SS-Rgt was formed and on the base of 659th Btl the 2nd Btl/47th SS-Rgt was formed. The 657th company was divided between the units of 20th SS-Div.
Actually the name of this Ersatz Sicherungsgruppe was Estnisch Ersatzsicherungsgruppe 179, estonian soldiers called this unit as “East Battalions essential unit in Narva”. By renaming in end of 1942, this unit got the name Ost Ersatz Batallion "Narwa".
In April 1944 all Estonian Ost-Batallions were transferred to the 20. Waffen-SS Estonian Division and divided into the regiments 45; 46 and 47. All members of former Ost-Battalions had do change Wechrmacht uniform to the SS uniform and they become to the full members of waffen SS.
But Ost Ersatz Batallion "Narwa" survived those reforms and this unit continued his work as before. Formally they belonged to the 20. Waffen-SS Estonian Division, but they did not change the uniforms. Part of this unit was incorporated to the 300. Infanterie-Division z.b.V. and become as Panzer Zerstörer Kompanie „Narwa” in this division.
During the summer 1944 Ost Ersatz Batallion "Narwa" educate and train 3 courses of soldiers and with soldiers of the last course went to the front line at the time of the Russians summer-campaign at the Narva front.
SS-Feld-Ersatz-Bataillon 20 is another unit.

Arensburger

Re: OMAKAITSE

Post by Arensburger » 22 Mar 2007, 19:46

MAXIS wrote:On mid-1944 in Estonia Regiments were formed and bataillons, directly fm Omakaitse (Selbstschutz) network. Those bataillons & regiments takes their title fm district in which they were formed, or fm commander's name.
Is there anyone who knows details about?
How many bataillons and regiments were formed? When? Where they fought?
Infos welcomed about Omakaitse network fm 1941 to 1944 also.
Every detail will be greatly appreciated
http://www.historycommission.ee/temp/pd ... 05-806.pdf
Source - Sich.-Div. 207, Kriegsgliederungen des estn. Selbstschutzes, 18.06.1943, Ia Az. 55 Nr. 961/43 geh., BA MA RH 26-207 / 22b.
COMMANDERS AND STRENGTH OF THE OMAKAITSE TERRITORIAL REGIMENTS AND BATTALIONS ON 15 MAY 1943
unit - commander - number of men

1. TALLINN TERRITORIAL REGIMENT (COMMANDER COLONEL JOHAN PAUL), 10 COMPANIES
1st Battalion (Captain Eduard Saulep) 495
2nd Battalion (Captain Jaan Laas) 467

2. HARJU COUNTY TERRITORIAL REGIMENT (CAPTAIN EVALD SAIDRA), 39 COMPANIES
1st Battalion in Keila (Major Rudolf Kukeste) 674
2nd Battalion in Kloostri (Captain Boris Sepling) 410
3rd Battalion in Nissi (Captain Arnold Välja) 489
4th Battalion in Kohila (1st Lieutenant Emil Heinaru) 264
5th Battalion in Pirita-Kose (Captain Johannes Soobik) 408
6th Battalion in Kiiu (Major Karl Lind) 532
7th Battalion in Kose (Captain Ernst Aastalu) 747
8th Battalion in Rapla (Major Richard Lessel) 515
9th Battalion in Loksa (Captain Aleksander Lehiste) 332

3. LÄÄNE COUNTY TERRITORIAL REGIMENT (MAJOR AUGUST KÕRGMA), 27 COMPANIES
1st Battalion in Haapsalu (Captain Valdemar Veelmaa) 624
2nd Battalion in Risti (1st Lieutenant Paul Pärtel) 573
3rd Battalion in Märjamaa (Lieutenant Artur Saaliste) 609
4th Battalion in Lihula (Captain Rudolf Rünk) 665
5th Battalion in Kärdla (Hiiumaa, Lieutenant Richard Saaliste) 348

4. SAAREMAA TERRITORIAL REGIMENT (CAPTAIN PEETER KANGRO), 12 COMPANIES
1st Battalion in Kuressaare (Lieutenant Rätsep) 412
2nd Battalion in Kihelkonna (Lieutenant Heino Linsi) 445
3rd Battalion in Leisi (Corvette Captain Alfred Pupp) 427

5. PÄRNU COUNTY TERRITORIAL REGIMENT (MAJOR PAUL LILLELEHT), 28 COMPANIES
1st Battalion in Pärnu (Captain Robert Pärlist) 285
2nd Battalion in Tori (Captain Kaarel Sillamik) 1130
3rd Battalion in Kilingi-Nõmme (Captain Mats Mölder) 1398
4th Battalion in Pärnu (1st Lieutenant Peeter Ennet) 963

6. VILJANDI COUNTY TERRITORIAL REGIMENT (MAJOR ANTON PORI), 29 COMPANIES
1st Battalion in Viljandi (1st Lieutenant Merilai) 1126
2nd Battalion in Mustla (Lieutenant Piir) 449
3rd Battalion in Paistu (1st Lieutenant Mihkel Oiderma) 414
4th Battalion in Suure-Jaani (Captain Johann Matson) 457
5th Battalion in Võhma (Captain Johanes Multer) 465
6th Battalion in Põltsamaa (Captain Hartvig Reinvalla) 532

7. VALGA COUNTY TERRITORIAL REGIMENT (MAJOR AUGUST SANDER), 8 COMPANIES
1st Battalion in Valga (Captain Arnold Jakustant) 588
2nd Battalion in Tõrva (Captain Arthur Nolk) 383

8. VÕRU COUNTY TERRITORIAL REGIMENT (CAPTAIN AUGUST TIIVEL), 20 COMPANIES
1st Battalion in Võru (Captain Eduard Karjel) 307
2nd Battalion in Antsla (Major August Leisk) 313
3rd Battalion in Rõuge (Captain Erich Matteus) 233
4th Battalion in Põlva (Captain Juho Taimre) 227
5th Battalion in Veriora (Lieutenant Randloo) 286

9. PETSERI COUNTY TERRITORIAL REGIMENT (MAJOR VALTER PEDAK), 10 COMPANIES
1st Battalion in Petseri (Lieutenant Colonel Karl Abel) 54
2nd Battalion in Värska (Captain Richard Riitsaar) 313
3rd Battalion in Uus-Irboska (Captain Julius Kannelaud) 209
4th Battalion in Laura (Major Karl Kukk) 217

10. TARTU COUNTY TERRITORIAL REGIMENT (LIEUTENANT COLONEL HUGO JAANSON), 55 COMPANIES
1st Battalion in Tartu (Captain Meinhard Niinepuu) 278
2nd Battalion in Tartu (Captain Kristjan Parres) 371
3rd Battalion in Tartu (Major August Uder) 1532
4th Battalion in Elva (Major Kusta Vesilo) 1231
5th Battalion in Otepää (Major August Kala) 403
6th Battalion in Ahja (Captain Juhan Jüriste) 670
7th Battalion in Jõgeva (Major August Kitsapea) 1405
8th Battalion in Mustvee (Lieutenant Colonel August Kivi) 1381
9th Battalion in Kallaste (Captain Enn Laasing) 800

11. JÄRVA COUNTY TERRITORIAL REGIMENT (MAJOR JOHANNES JAAGUND), 15 COMPANIES
1st Battalion in Paide (1st Lieutenant Herbert Puupill) 733
2nd Battalion in Türi (Lieutenant Theodor Unt) 601
3rd Battalion in Järva-Jaani (Lieutenant Henn Ründva) 823
4th Battalion in Tapa (Captain Roman Uudelepp) 575

12. VIRU COUNTY TERRITORIAL REGIMENT (CAPTAIN JAKOB VASKA), 32 COMPANIES
1st Battalion in Rakvere (Major Peeter Kahja) 682
2nd Battalion in Kadrina (Captain August Valdur) 578
3rd Battalion in Haljala (Major Eduard Paurman) 549
4th Battalion in Kunda (Captain Juhan Kallaste) 646
5th Battalion in Väike-Maarja (1st Lieutenant E. Kaurla) 704
6th Battalion in Viru-Roela (Lieutenant Jõgis) 432
7th Battalion in Lüganuse (Major Eduard Raudsepp) 903
8th Battalion in Jõhvi (1st Lieutenant Ants Tammaru) 1205
9th Battalion in Iisaku (Captain Anton Kuuspalu) 635

Semenov

re

Post by Semenov » 22 Mar 2007, 22:16

Great infos Arensburger!
regards

Carnaro

Post by Carnaro » 22 Mar 2007, 22:58

I agree. Great infos.

this old post (my God, 4 years are already passed!) required times to allow the documents to emerge.

Arensburger, do you think is it possible to receive to Italy the volumes of the Commission? (I have tried with an e-mail, I'm waiting for a reply...)

Max

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 26 Mar 2007, 16:17

Maybe it is possible for you to obtain the volumes via internet bookshops?

For example:

http://www.apollo.ee/product.php/1010409

Carnaro

Post by Carnaro » 26 Mar 2007, 21:35

Hi Reigo

Thks my friend, this is a gift!
Order placed! :D

Max

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”