Looking for Crete Veterans

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Patrick Delatte

Looking for Crete Veterans

Post by Patrick Delatte » 07 May 2002, 01:39

I am a graduate student doing research on WWII in the Mediterranean. I am looking to get in touch with veterans from the 1941 Mediterranean theater, either Axis or Allied. I am particularly interested in contacting veterans from the battle of Crete in May 1941. If anyone out there knows how I can get in touch with one of these veterans, I would be very grateful. Also, if anyone knows where I can find first hand accounts, journals, letters, etc. of the same subject I would be interested in copies of those items as well. Happy for any help I can get! 8O

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 07 May 2002, 12:03

I can go down to library and look through the Divisional history of New Zealand units in the battle. And I'll provide any pictures I can. I've always been interested in Crete, especially since as a New Zealander, and we served at Maleme, the main point of battle.

I'm the grandson of a Crete vetran, however he passed away long before I was born. And didn't leave any photos or journals :(

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 07 May 2002, 14:00

I am also very interested in any pictures from Crete.
My father was stationed there until May l945.
Always looking for maybe someone whom might have known
him or of him?

Annelie

Matt Gibbs

Recent prog

Post by Matt Gibbs » 07 May 2002, 15:17

I saw a programme recently on TV here in the UK which had some of the veterans of the Crete operation from the invasion forces. There was a group of ex Fallshirmjager who were given a special trip in the restored SwissAir Ju52. I believe the programme was made recently but I don't know more than that at the mo, except the ex paratroopers has some kind of association, which you might be able to get in touch with.
Regards

rkoy

hello all

Post by rkoy » 07 May 2002, 16:41

go to http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com and find Eric Queen he has extensive research and contact with german paratroopers maybe he can help.........rodney

MadJim

warcrimes

Post by MadJim » 09 May 2002, 05:53

You might want to try looking at "The Wehrmacht War Crimes Bureau" By Alfred DeZayas, University of Nebraska Press. It has a chapter on crimes committed against Wehrmacht personell during the battle.

MadJim :mrgreen:

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Kreta pictures...

Post by Christoph Awender » 09 May 2002, 07:37

Hello!

Some Kreta fotos from my collection...

Gebirgsjäger-Gefechtsstand

Exhausted paratrooper...

The village CHANIA

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 09 May 2002, 10:19

Christoph,

Very nice photos.

/Marcus

Erich

Post by Erich » 09 May 2002, 15:19

Patrick :

Have you made comtact with Greg Way at his Fallshirmjäger seite ?

E

Patrick Delatte

Post by Patrick Delatte » 14 May 2002, 03:02

All,
Thank you for the tips and photos! Still greatful for any help that I can get finding first hand accounts, either written or through interviewing veterans.

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 17 Jun 2002, 13:27

In Austria live some paratrooper-veteran too, not just in Germany.

von tunzelmann

Re Crete vetrans

Post by von tunzelmann » 15 Jul 2005, 09:49

My step father Frank Davis was a driver with the New Zealand Division. He wasw captured on Crete after several weeks hiding in the mountains. \the New Zealnders whyo had not surrendered were fed by the locals and to this day hold them in high estem. The New Zealanders surrendered after leaflets were dropped over the mountains. The leaflets advised allied servicemne that any Cretans hoarbouring or assisting them would be shot. The New Zealanders as a consequence surrendered to Austrian mountain troops. My step father said he was well treated by the Austrians, however when they arrived in Greece all their valuables were stolen from them and several were beaten and kicked by SS troops as they were entrained for Stalag VIIIB Lamsdorf in Poland near Katowice.
He was posted on the Maleme perimeter during the battle. The New Zealnaders had very few machine guns but were fortunate to recover some Fallschirmjaeger weapon cannisters which contained at least one MG 34 which was used against the attackers.
I hope this information is of use.
Richard

Six Nifty .50s

Re: Looking for Crete Veterans

Post by Six Nifty .50s » 16 Jul 2005, 13:45

Patrick Delatte wrote:I am a graduate student doing research on WWII in the Mediterranean. I am looking to get in touch with veterans from the 1941 Mediterranean theater, either Axis or Allied. I am particularly interested in contacting veterans from the battle of Crete in May 1941. If anyone out there knows how I can get in touch with one of these veterans, I would be very grateful. Also, if anyone knows where I can find first hand accounts, journals, letters, etc. of the same subject I would be interested in copies of those items as well. Happy for any help I can get!

These titles contain many personal experiences of Crete veterans:

NASSE, Jean-Yves. Fallschirmjäger in Crete. Histoire & Collections, 2002.
FORTY, George. Battle of Crete. Ian Allan Publishing, 2001.

mike smythe

Post by mike smythe » 22 Nov 2010, 06:11

gday, im working on a forum dedicated to the battle of crete, if anyone would like to join here is the link. the forum will be constantly updated and improved. cheers mike

http://operationmercury.freeforums.org

JonS

Post by JonS » 19 Apr 2011, 04:13

Staff Sergeant Jim Seymour was eating his breakfast when the Battle of Crete began.

It was May 20, 1941 and Seymour was one of hundreds of New Zealand soldiers caught up in the brief, furious battle for the tiny Mediterranean island during World War II.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4904103 ... e-of-Crete
An elderly Kiwi war hero is going into battle again – this time against the Government.

Major General W B "Sandy" Thomas, 91, won a Military Cross after his exploits during the Battle of Crete in May 1941 and has been invited back by residents of Galatas to address them on the 70th anniversary of a famous bayonet charge in which he was wounded.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standar ... say-thanks
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-star-time ... e-veterans

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”