Q: Kriegsberichter Cameras?

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Double Dare

Q: Kriegsberichter Cameras?

Post by Double Dare » 04 Jun 2003, 19:29

What cameras, for both motion and still photography, were most commonly used? Also, does anyone know where I can find photos of these cameras?
Any assistance in the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Nick

Panzerrat

Post by Panzerrat » 04 Jun 2003, 22:51

Hi
i had to rip a bit of Camera History from my own website for this so please be patient....to date i still have not found any information on Leica Cameras but here is a little bit about Ziess....also i include a photo of my Russian Leica IId copy & an Original pre war Leica IId....
Regards............
Ziess & the Contax Brand
By 1937, work on civilian products slowed to a stop while gunsights and bombsights took precedence. It is said that work on the Contax SLR continued during lunch breaks and other personal time. Unfortunately, all of the Contax SLR prototypes were lost during the war.
The Dresden camera works were destroyed by Allied bombing on the night of February 14, 1945. This bombing ushered in a difficult time in the history of Carl Zeiss Foundation. At the close of the war, Patton's Third Army occupied Jena and its prize; the Carl Zeiss factories. This action set the stage for the safe revival of the Jena works but the Treaty At Yalta decreed a pull-back of the American lines to positions further west. Jena and Dresden now fell under Russian occupation, taking almost the entire Carl Zeiss Foundation with it.
The withdrawing U.S. Army recognized the technological importance of Carl Zeiss and assisted in the removal of 126 key management and crafts-people from what was to become East Germany. The relocated Carl Zeiss employees, including the entire board of directors were relocated to the Contessa manufacturing facility in Stuttgart, West Germany. One of the first orders of business for the relocated board of directors was to officially relocate the Carl Zeiss Foundation to the Stuttgart offices. Thus, it was the position later, that the Carl Zeiss Foundation was an entirely West German company.
Meanwhile, in the eastern sector, the Russians were claiming reparations by dismantling 94% of the remaining Carl Zeiss tooling and factories. It has been said that the trains stretched for miles over a period of several months, back to the motherland, U.S.S.R.. This relocated tooling became the Kiev camera works, which produced low quality copies of the Contax and other Zeiss Ikon products for many years thereafter.
Even with the looting of the Dresden / Jena facilities by the Russians, the first component of the Carl Zeiss operation to be revived after the war were the original factories in Jena. They, also known as Carl Zeiss, introduced a small series of cameras labeled "Carl Zeiss Jena". These were assembled from parts on hand and the proceeds from their sale was also confiscated as reparations by the U.S.S.R.
Attachments
LEICA 1939.jpg
LEICA 1939.jpg (25.88 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
LLuft.jpg
LLuft.jpg (16.62 KiB) Viewed 1548 times

Double Dare

Post by Double Dare » 06 Jun 2003, 20:54

Most illuminating, Panzerrat.
Thanks very much.

Nick

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 06 Jun 2003, 20:58

Thanks for sharing that info and photos Panzerrat.

/Marcus

Return to “Other Equipment”