Romania denies Holocaust

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
chalutzim

Romania denies Holocaust

Post by chalutzim » 17 Jun 2003, 20:25

By Shamillia Sivathambu
(Filed: 14/06/2003)

The Romanian government issued a blunt denial yesterday that the Holocaust hit the country during the Second World War, defying historical accounts of a campaign of anti-Semitic persecution orchestrated by its pro-Nazi wartime regime.

The statement, issued by the Public Information Ministry, startled Jewish leaders in Romania, where 250,000 Jews were killed or deported to concentration camps under the rule of Marshal Ion Antonescu.

"We firmly claim that within the borders of Romania between 1940 and 1945 there was no Holocaust," the ministry said.

The statement came a day after Romanian authorities released wartime archives to the Holocaust War Memorial Museum in Washington.

Jewish leaders questioned the assertion and criticised the Romanian government for failing to reflect the truth.

"You cannot say there weren't victims," said Ernest Neuman, a Jewish community leader in Timisoara.

Historians have documented numerous accounts detailing the deportation and execution of Jews in Romania. Most died in camps in the former Soviet Union. But several pogroms spilled Jewish blood on Romanian soil.

In June 1941 up to 12,000 people in the north-eastern city of Iasi are believed to have died as Romanian and German soldiers swept from house to house killing Jews.
@http://www.arts.telegraph.co.uk/news/ma ... wrom14.xml

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 17 Jun 2003, 21:05

I guess we can ban "Romania" from the forum.

Nice post though.

Sam H.

Post by Sam H. » 17 Jun 2003, 21:30

Hate to see this come out, have to wonder about the timing.

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 18 Jun 2003, 01:17

I think this post belongs to the "Warcrimes & Holocaust section". Anyway, it's sad to see that a country like Romania denied the holocaust considering the fact that they were a lot of anti-semetism in Romania and that the holocaust really happened there. Romania should be like Poland and recognized the truth who admitted the crime of Jedwabne commited by the Poles against the Jews during World War II. The President Alexander Kwasniewski apologize fo the crime.

Dan

Post by Dan » 18 Jun 2003, 04:34

Romania officially adimitted there was a holocaust in Romania because
Last year, Romania outlawed fascist and xenophobic organizations and symbols, and a monument honoring Holocaust victims was erected with government support. Critics said the moves were part of a drive to secure American support for Romania's NATO bid.
They had no choice, given current the people now running current American foreign policy.

http://famulus.msnbc.com/FamulusIntl/ap ... reg=EUROPE

Brig

Post by Brig » 18 Jun 2003, 04:41

I'm sorry, the Germans were anal-retentive about efficiency, so I'm sure their paperwork on the matter doesn't lie. Romania couldn't have possibly obtained and destroyed all such German documents

Le Géant Vert

Post by Le Géant Vert » 18 Jun 2003, 06:25

Brig wrote:I'm sorry, the Germans were anal-retentive about efficiency, so I'm sure their paperwork on the matter doesn't lie. Romania couldn't have possibly obtained and destroyed all such German documents
This is the strangest word i've ever heard of my life!!! :lol: What does it mean???

And the decision of Romania is simply stupid. What is the goal to close the eyes on past? As I always say to myself: 'Past is only there to remind us to not make the same mistake we already did' :|

Brig

Post by Brig » 18 Jun 2003, 06:27

Le Géant Vert wrote:
Brig wrote:I'm sorry, the Germans were anal-retentive about efficiency, so I'm sure their paperwork on the matter doesn't lie. Romania couldn't have possibly obtained and destroyed all such German documents
This is the strangest word i've ever heard of my life!!! :lol: What does it mean???

And the decision of Romania is simply stupid. What is the goal to close the eyes on past? As I always say to myself: 'Past is only there to remind us to not make the same mistake we already did' :|
means uptight, precise, has to have everything absolutely perfect, slave to routine or code, etc. Like those people who are 'neat-freaks' as they call them, have to wipe doorknos before twisting, etc

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 18 Jun 2003, 06:39

It's a Freudian term that shocks people who have never heard it before. Here is a definition:
The Dictionary wrote: anal-retentive

Psychology~ Indicating personality traits, such as meticulousness, avarice, and obstinacy, originating in habits, attitudes, or values associated with infantile pleasure in retention of feces.
Compare with:
The Dictionary wrote: anal-expulsive

Psychology~ Indicating personality traits, such as conceit, ambition, and generosity, originating in habits, attitudes, or values associated with infantile pleasure in the expulsion of feces.
:roll:

Brig

Post by Brig » 18 Jun 2003, 06:42

I've never been too fond of Freud. too sexually-oriented in his analysis, I think because he was the sexually frustrated one, not the patients. However, he did contribute some good to the psychological world

Jeff O

Post by Jeff O » 18 Jun 2003, 08:08

Brig wrote:I've never been too fond of Freud. too sexually-oriented in his analysis, I think because he was the sexually frustrated one, not the patients. However, he did contribute some good to the psychological world
yeah....but his mom was hot.

Victor

Post by Victor » 18 Jun 2003, 13:24

This would not be the first or the last dumb thing this government did. Even though they are technically right, since there were no death camps on Romanian soil, the fact that the camps in Trans-Dnestra were under Romanian administration and that the Romanian authorities were responsible for what happened there has little relevance. It is not important if the camps were near Bucharest or near Tiraspol. What is important is what happened there and those directly responsible (camp commanders, guards etc) should be pointed out.

demonio

Post by demonio » 18 Jun 2003, 14:27

Reality check. They were very anti semetic on the whole and a local specialty was to throw the Jews off the Carpathian Mountains. (hope my geography is right)
Last edited by demonio on 18 Jun 2003, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

chalutzim

Post by chalutzim » 18 Jun 2003, 14:44

Benoit Douville wrote:I think this post belongs to the "Warcrimes & Holocaust section". (...)
Sorry, Benoit, but I guess Mr. Wendel, rightly in my opinion, would think the topic more related to today's politics, so I've posted it here.

Victor

Post by Victor » 18 Jun 2003, 17:26

demonio wrote:Reality check. They were very anti semetic on the whole and a local specialty was to throw the Jews off the Carpathian Mountains. (hope my geography is right)
Yes, the Carpathians are in Romania, but I never heard of throwing Jews off them. Maybe you can elaborate.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”