Japanese meddlings in Mongolia 1940-45?

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Mait

Japanese meddlings in Mongolia 1940-45?

Post by Mait » 07 Aug 2003, 22:22

Hello.

I am interested in Japanese politics in The Great East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere and areas around it. But I have not been able to find almost any sources about Japanese politics in Mongolia, especially AFTER the border conflicts with Soviet Union. Can anybody enlighten me in the subject? Or point out sources in internet?

I know the Japanese had some political movement or armed force in Manchukuo for uniting Mongolia (in my Estonian sources i see their leader in 1945 as Prince Te, but the spelling could be different in anglo-american sources). But thats about all I know.

Any help most warmely welcomed.

Best Regards,

Mait.

Terranix

Post by Terranix » 22 Jun 2005, 00:49

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mengjiang

That's all I can find myself--it's a subject I'd like to see some elaboration of too.

asiaticus

after Nomonhan

Post by asiaticus » 22 Jun 2005, 05:11

The Japanese did a lot in the 1930s vis a vis Mongolia but after getting their heads handed to them at Nomonhan/Khalkhin Gol pretty much put an end to the Japanese adventures in Mongolia (Peoples Republic). Mengjian which they had seized in 1937 in the first part of the China War they kept til 1945. But that was part of China.

In 1941 IIRC they signed a non agression pact with the Soviets which would have included the Mongolian Peoples Republc a Soviet ally and all their border issues were settled mostly in the Soviets favor. The Japanese had no interest in provoking the Russians again.

Read Coox's book "Nomonhan" it has a lot of detail on this.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 22 Jun 2005, 13:53

Mait -

Japanese Politics in Manchuria and Mongolia, 1931-1945

Books:
DUUS, Peter, Ramon H. Myers, Mark R. Peattie and Chou Wan-yao (eds.). The Japanese Wartime Enpire, 1931-1945. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1996.
IRIYE, Akira and Warren Cohen (eds.). American, Chinese, and Japanese Perspectives on Wartime Asia 1931-1949. Wilmington (DE), 1990.
MORLEY, James William (ed.). The China Quagmire: Japan's Expansion on the Asian Continent, 1933-1941. New York: Columbia University Press, 1983.
PRITCHARD, R. John and S.M. Zaide (eds.). The Tokyo War Crimes Trial: The Complete Proceedings of the International Military Tribunal for the Far East. 22 volumes plus a 5 volume finding aid and index. New York: Garland, 1981-87.
SUN, Youli. China & the Origins of the Pacific War, 1931-41. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1993.

Periodicals:
Asian Affairs
Asia Quarterly
China Quarterly
Japan Forum
Journal of Asian Studies
Modern Asian Studies

The multi-volume work on the Tokyo War Crimes Trial has a great deal of information on Japanese political and military activity in Manchuria and Mongolia. The other four books all have scholarly essays on the subject. You can also find numerous research essays on the subject in all 6 of the periodicals listed above.

HTH,

--Larry

Auseklis

Post by Auseklis » 22 Jun 2005, 15:16

I'm looking for informations on the same topic but 20 years before.
When Mait's fellow countryman Ungern-Khan moved into Mongolia, he was backed up by the japanese as well political as also with military adivsors.
Were the siberian operations in 1918-1922 sort of a first try to get a foot in the door of a Great East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere?

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”