Santader, North coast of Spain.

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Jez

Santader, North coast of Spain.

Post by Jez » 10 Aug 2003, 16:37

Can anyone share any details about the role played by the Legion Italiana in the taking of this place by the Nationalist forces?

Regards, jez

Rodrigo

Post by Rodrigo » 15 Aug 2003, 00:41

Hi Jez:

After capturing Bilbao, the Nationalist forces in the North of Spain switched their offensive towards Santander. The Nationalists, who were led by General Fidel Davila, advanced westwards through the Cantabrian Mountains. Despite the large numbers of troops General Mariano Gamir had under his command, Republican resistance was weak. This weakness was due, in the main, to poor training and a shortage of weapons.

On the opening day of the Santander offensive August 14, 1937, six Navarrese Carlist brigades under General Solchaga assaulted the line held by the XVth Republican Army Corps in the rugged Cantabtrian mountains. The Nationalist advance planned on taking the Castillian port of Santander while the Santandaristas were determined to hold out until help from the Republic could arrive.

The Navarrese attack, backed by German Condor Legion planes, broke the back of the Republican resistance, routing XVth corps before it. The front had collapsed and two days later, Reinosa and its armament factory fell to the Carlists. Santander lay on the plains before them.

Italian troops participating in the Nationalist northern offensive broke through the Republican front in Santander along the coastal areas. But in the Cantabrian mountains, it was a different story as Republican troops fighting a grim battle were determined to hold the Italians off. The Republican forces were able to hold up the Italian forces by their fierce stand, but in the end, the preponderance of Italian artillery and air support pushed the Santandaristas back and the Italians captured the crucial Escudo pass, the gate to Santander.

On 23rd August with the Nationalist forces inexorably marching westwards, the Basque forces in the Republican army surrendered to General Ettore Bastico, the chief of the Italian Forces at the North Front. Further resistance was impossible, and the basques leaders began to abandoned his troops and and flew to safety in France.

Around 25.000 soldiers, 3000 officers and several hundred officials of the Basque army and administration concentrate in at Santoña, a little fishers port near Santander the Basques finally agreed to surrender to the Italians. In accordance with the agreement made, Basque political personalities embarked on two British ships, the SS Seven Seas Spray and the SS Bobie, under Italian protection.

On 27 August, with Nationalist warships blockading the port, on Franco's orders, General Fidel Davila told the Italians to disembark the refugees, which they refused to do, although they advised the Basques to go ashore. The prisoners were held by the Italians for four days until 31 August, when Mussolini himself ordered to General Ettore Bastico to hand them over as Generalísimo Franco wanted.

60,000 Republican prisoners were captured along with their materiel. A good number of these went on to join the Nationalist army.

Rodrigo

Post by Rodrigo » 15 Aug 2003, 00:56

Visit my web. Sorry all in spanish

-The italian military cemetery at Escudo's Pass: http://www.geocities.com/afterthebattle/italianos.html

-The fall of Santander: http://www.geocities.com/afterthebattle/santander.html

Jez

Post by Jez » 18 Aug 2003, 14:50

Excellent!

I have just been to Santander for my holidays.

I noticed the memorial with the Fäsces (i think this is the correct terminology) next to the bar area. It is in perfect alignment with the Church further up the hill. A great monument.

Although someone has ripped of the message plate under the Legion Italiana (which probably had something with Mussolini on it) it is an outstanding tribute to the fine people of Santander who keep this monument in these ever increasing politically correct days!

The people of Santander are an example of proud, decent honourable European people who still honour their traditions and heritage!

I know because i saw it for my own eyes.

European people on the whole should take a leaf out of their book!

Kind regards, jez

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 21 Aug 2003, 00:03

Well,Ive got two different points of view:
The official history says that italians fought bravely at "El Escudo" and had a great number of casualties.The "Cementerio de los Italianos" allthough long time empty (All bodies were recovered by the Italian Government and sent to Italy) is a proof of this.BUT,my Brothers Father in Law that fought at "El Escudo" in the republican side says: "Corrian como conejos"-They ran like rabbits...Whos right? I bet that 95 years old man is :lol:
The fact that the Italians were the first in occupy Santander City is another different matter...It is said that the nationalist command delayed the spanish troops to allow the Italians being the first as a compensation for the disaster of Guadalajara.Anyway Italian tanks were the first Nationalist troops in Santander.There was no fight in the city as the Italian newspapers claimed.All Republican troops being disarmed and in the "Plaza de Toros"-Bullfight Place?????Sorry dont know the exact translation.
I agree with you that Santander is one of the Finest places of the World :lol: :lol: :lol:
Greetings from Santander

Jez

Post by Jez » 21 Aug 2003, 00:56

Thanks.

I wish i was back in Santander. 8) :D

P.S. Surely, 65+ years on, the monument wouldnt be still there if the Italians had fabricated the battle there?

regards, jez

Rodrigo

Post by Rodrigo » 21 Aug 2003, 17:01

In Spain exist after the war more than 15 cemeteries where there buried the italians from the Mussolini's Legions.
The two main cementeries were Campillo de Llerena (Badajoz) and Puerto del Escudo (Santander) but in 1940 the italian goverment wants that all is fallen were moved to one place, and was chosen the city of Saragossa. There was constructed the Sacrario Militare Italiano.

Check my webs

Campillo http://www.geocities.com/afterthebattle/italianos2
Sacrario militare http://www.geocities.com/afterthebattle/sacrario

Jez

Post by Jez » 21 Aug 2003, 22:06

Thankyou Rodrigo.

A very moving piece of evidence of the human element of Italian involvement.

Regards, jez

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”