SS-Division “Nibelungen”

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
jarek_g

SS-Division “Nibelungen”

Post by jarek_g » 28 Aug 2003, 15:18

Hi guys,

About Division “Nibelungen”:

Order about creation of brigade / of division became given 27 March 1945. Unit had to be called "Junker-Schule-Tölz". However commander of school Bad Tölz SS-Ostubaf. Schulze wilful changed name on “Nibelungen” Unit came into forming in regions Upper Rhein im Raum Freiburg - Feldberg - Todtnau in Schwarzwald. In 12 April 1945 from SS-Grenadier Brigade „Nibelungen” / Junkerschule Tölz became formed 38. SS-Panzergrenadier Division „Nibelungen”. With unit commanded from 7 April 1945 SS-Obersturmbannführer Richard Schulze-Kossens (CO of JS Tölz and Brigade) and from12 April 1945 SS-Standartenführer Martin Stange. On commanders appointed were also in April 1945 SS-Gruppenführers Karl von Oberkamp and Heinz Lammerding, however never embraced of one's own positions.

Division composed:
SS-Panzer Grenadier Regiment 95
12.04.1945 - formed from :
I./ 95 < I. Btl. / Brig. „Nibelungen”
II./ 95 < II. Btl. / Brig. „Nibelungen”
CO from 12.04.1945 SS-Obersturmbannführer Richard Schulze-Kossens

SS-Panzer Grenadier Regiment 96
12.04.1945 - formed from :
I./ 96 < III. Btl. / Brig. „Nibelungen”
II./ 96 < IV. Btl. / Brig. „Nibelungen”
CO from 12.04.1945 SS-Sturmbannführer Walter Schmidt

SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment 97 ??

Existence of regiment uncertain. Maybe became formed from two battalions Zollgrenzschutz (who them commanded?) included to division? [info for Zollgrenzschutz: NARA T-78/413/6381230]. Instead Kurt Mehner gives, that was only staff of 97th regiment and one battalion (which?). Total infantry field strength - 2,719 men. But Nafziger in own OoB series book quoted only seven infantry battalions.

Additional units:

SS Artillerie Regiment 38
12.04.1945 - formed from SS Art.Lehr Rgt. Prag-Beneschau and II./SS Pz. Art. Rgt 10; CO from 04.45 - SS-Obersturmbannführer Hornung (name?)

SS Polizei Bataillon Siegling
mid April 1944 - formed from German cadre of 30. Waffen Gren. Div. der SS (wiesruß. Nr 1); CO SS-Obersturmbannführer Hans Siegling

SS Flak Abteilung 38
April 1944 - formed; CO SS-Hauptsturmführer Jobke (name?)

SS Panzer Jäger Abteilung
April 1944 - formed; CO SS-Hauptsturmführer Nestler (name?)

And also SS-Pionier Kompanie 38 and SS-Nachrichten Kompanie 38.
38th division surrendered to the Americans on 8 May 1945.

Who commanded 97th regiment, battalions of infantry, artillery abteilungs, engineer and signal companies? Which one was composition of regiment of artillery? Which one names has quoted by me commanders units?

Bestreg.
Jarek

Rob - wssob2

38th SS

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 29 Aug 2003, 19:35

Great info Jerek - thanks for sharing the info and your sources.

I doubt that the 97th regiment never existed.

- Rob

Timo

Post by Timo » 29 Aug 2003, 20:43

Isn't this info from an ML thread by Martin Block?

Anyway,

Hstuf. Fritz Jobke (Striegau/Schles., 04.02.1909 / SS-Nr. 188 551), Chef SS-Flak-Abteilung 38

Hstuf. Walter Nestler (Dr.) (Königswalde/Sud., 18.07.1907 / SS-Nr. 291 688), Chef SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 38

Nestler died in Germering on 12.05.1993.

Timo

Post by Timo » 29 Aug 2003, 21:02

Info provided by Martin Block…
The ONLY deliveries of armored vehicles to the 38. SS-Div. that show up in the allocation files of the Gen.Insp.d.Pz.Tr. are 10 Jagdpanzer 38 shipped on April 15 and 1 Bergepanzer 38 shipped on April 16, 1945. The records do NOT show ANY direct shipments of tanks, StuGs, le.SPWs, m.SPWs, PSWs or Pak-Sfls. This should be no surprise since a Gren.Div. der Waffen-SS wasn't supposed to have any of these vehicles.

Akira, please check again the KTB of 17. SS-Div. There's only talk about 7,5 cm Pak mot.Z. (=towed) with SS-Pz.Jg.Abt. 'Nibelungen' as far as I can see. Where did you find those SP-guns?

I checked into the brief divisional history called "Dokumentation über Soldaten der 38. Grenadier-Division "Nibelungen" der Waffen-SS" writen by Klaus Schneider in 1999 and could also find no clue on any kind of armor other than those alredy mentioned Hetzers. It seem that the division had to rely on a few 'Holzgas' trucks, bicycles and good old 'Schusters Rappen', i.e. soldiers footwear!
Info provided by Hans Weber…
I did this translation out of the unit history of GvB (Die Sturmflut und das Ende) for the Evil Commissar of the Don Front or whatever he calls himself these days aka known as the Hetzer loving David Clarke. I hope this is of some interest to the broader public, as it might shed further light on some issues in this thread. Here we go:

Pz Jg Abt "Nibelungen" was formed at Beneschau, south of Prague. First it consisted of only one Company from 7. SS-Geb Div "Prinz Eugen" which came from Yugoslavia. 95% were Volksdeutsche (i.e. "second rate" Germans, not Reichsdeutsche). It was led by Ostuf Gerstner. In Prague they got brandnew "Hetzers". They were transported by rail to Grafenwöhr. At Weiden SS-Hstuf Dr. Nestler, originally from "Nord" (6. SS-Geb Div), took over the Abteilung. It consisted now of :

1. Kp "Hetzer", Ostuf Kloppmann
2. Kp Pz. Jg. mot. Z, Ostuf Jankens
3. Kp Flak, Hstuf. Jobka

Another source (Weg der Nibelungen) states that the Abteilung came from "Nord", but I think that this is true only for the the second commander, Nestler. It confirms a Sturmbannführer Nestler as commander and lists only one Co commanded by Hstuf Jobke (sic). Strenght is approx 100 men, it capitulated on the 8th May in Mühlbach (Austria). Still in the same book we have as commander Hauptsturmführer Nestler, 1./Pj Jg Abt 38 , Hstuf Jobke and 2./Pj Jg Abt 38, Ostuf Jeskens (sic). The Hetzer company is missing. I think it got lost in combat or attached to other units later on.

In the preliminary fights for Nürnberg the Abt was subordinated to 17. SS Pz Gren "GvB". This happened on 17.4.45.

This is from the reports of "GvB" (Tagesmeldungen)

18.4.45. Richtheim, 16.00, 50 stragglers and 2 Pak 7,5 mot Z Pz.Jg. Abt. "Nibelungen" and Flak Abt II./6 slow attack with well aimed AT-fire.
17.00, enemy breaks through and reaches Loderbach, 2 Paks were blown up. 17.30 2 Paks are destroyed by Ari-fire, enemy is in Pöllingen. Enemy contained by Flak Abt II./6. Defense of Neumarkt is organized: 3 Pak mot Z from "Nibelungen" and 15 men from the Pionierzug, Pz. Gren Rgt 37. Eight "Hetzers" are ordered away from Schwand and reach - after parrying enemy thrusts on the road Neumarkt-Amberg at Lauterhofen/Trautmannshofen - Neumarkt. 1 Hetzer and a Berge Pz (Bergehetzer?) lost through Jaboattack.

20.4.45 Neumarkt is still occupied and defended by the troops mentioned above, the Flak Abt II./6 consists of 42 men acting as infantry and serving five 2cm Flak. Plus 90 men from III. Abt 27 with four 2cm Flak. There are 6 Hetzers on strength.

22.4.45 Heavy fighting at Neumarkt.

This is the testimony of the Hetzer commander: Ostuf Egon Klopfmann:

On the 18.4.45 a platoon of our Co made some American prisoners at Trautmannshofen, captured a vehicle and destroyed several. In the evening I got the order from Dr. Nestler out of Neumarkt to retreat and to take position in Neumarkt itself. Near 22.00 we reached the locality and took up positions at the fringe of the town. 3 Jagdpanzers I withdrew and ordered them to positions along the forest south of Neumarkt, which proved a very good idea later on. We would have been cut off in Neumarkt without this. On 19.4.45 the enemy got into the town with tanks and infantery from the Northeast and tried to cross the Canal with infantry. Both bridges were out. Because we were outnumbered we withdrew in the afternoon of 21.4.45 from Neumarkt. We were relieved in the evenening by elements of "GvB".

The enemy was the 65. US ID.They reported heavy resistance in Neumarkt by elements of "GvB" and the Panzerjägerabteilung "Nibelungen". Several times they reported the town taken on 21.4.45 but only on the 23.4.45 at 19.00 it was secured as they started to bombard the enemy strongholds with phosphouros. The German side states that the town was evacuated already on 22.4.45 and that the bombing was unnecessary. Not far from Neumarkt a huge ammo dump with "Grünring" chemical ammo was found. AOK 1 issued an order to "GvB" forbidding its use (I have the exact wording)...

According to the "Wochenmeldung" dated 23.4.45, "GvB" had 10 Hetzer (among this 2 in longterm repair) from "Nibelungen" under its orders. 3 Pak mot Z from the same unit are available. The Abteilung is credited with two kills (close combat9 at Neumarkt on 22.4.45

On the 23./24.4.45. the Abteilung is still with "GvB" and engaged to defend the Altmühletal. It is stationed at Beilngries. It is reinforced and forms a Kampgruppe SS-Pz Jg Abt "Nibelungen".

Then the Pz Jg. Abt disappears from the "GvB" records.I suppose the leftovers were released to support their own division in the fight for Regensburg and later retreated to Austria. As the Hetzer Co is not mentioned by the unit history of 38. Grenadier Division "Nibelungen" it could be that they were lost in the Altmühletal. As to the number of tanks in total, I don't think that it exceeded ten Hetzers. This would be the normal strenght of a Hetzer Kompanie and the layout described above follows a familiar pattern.

My source other than the book already mentioned is "Die Sturmflut und das Ende III" by Günther.

Cheers
Hans

jarek_g

SS - Pzj. Jg. Abt. 38

Post by jarek_g » 01 Sep 2003, 11:15

Hi Alls,
many thanks for yours info.
Jarek

polux

38. SS-Grenadier-Division Nibelungen

Post by polux » 11 Sep 2003, 18:00

The following information result from the Mr. Klaus Schneider's book " Spuren der Nibelungen on 1945 " Dokumentation über Soldaten der 38. Grenadier-Division "Nibelungen" der Waffen - SS. Kurt Vowinckel-Verlag, on 1999. ISBN 3 921 655 90 9.

This book indicates that of numerous resulting young men of the AHS (Adolf-Hitler-Schulen) of the age groups 1928 and 1929 were incorporated into the division Nibelungen.

38. SS-Grenadier-Division "Nibelungen"

Aufstellung : 27. März 1945

Aufstellungsraum : Oberrhein (Schwarzwald)
Freiburg – Feldberg – Todtnau

Divisionsstab : Geschwend bei Todtnau

Kommandeure : SS-Obersturmbannführer Richard Schulze
SS-Gruppenführer und Generalleutnant der Waffen SS Carl von Oberkamp
SS-Gruppenführer und Generalleutnant der Waffen SS Heinz Lammerding
SS-Standartenführer Martin Stange

Adjutant : SS-Obersturmführer Graf von Pourtales
Ia : SS-Sturmbannführer Deutschbein
Ic : SS-Untersturmführer Hermann Buhl
IVa (Versorgung) : SS-Sturmbannführer von Moliere

Bemerkung : (lt. Dr. Klickmann "Eine Dokumentation")
Die Division führte zu Beginn auch den Namen "Junker-Schule". In einem Schreiben des SS-FHA v. 9. Mai 1945 sowie in einem Fernschreiben von OKW/WFSt v. 15. April 1945 heisst es : 38. SS-Grenadier-Division "Junker-Schule Tölz (Nibelungen). In einem Divisions-Zustandsbericht der H. Gr. G – 19. Armee – v. 7. April 1945 lautet die Bezeichnung : SS-Grenadier-Division "Nibelungen".

Das Führerkorps stellte der abgeschlossene 18. Kriegsjunkerlehrgang der Junkerschule Tölz einschl. des Lehrpersonals.

Das Unterführerkorps wurde vom 4. Germanischen Vorbereitungslehrgang für die Junkerschule gestellt.

Eingegliedert in die Division wurden :

A ) Teile der 30. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (russ. Nr. 2) im raum Ingolstadt.
B ) SS-Polizei-Bataillon Siegling
C) Am 9. April 1945 verfügte das SS-FHA, dass nach Auffüllung das Begleit-Bataillon RF SS zur 38. Division kommen sollte.
D) SS-Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung (vormals 6. SS-Gebirgs-Division Nord)
Kommandeur : SS-Sturmbannführer Nestler
1. Kompanie : SS-Hauptsturmführer Jobke
Stärke ca. 100 Mann
Am 8. Mai 1945 in Mühlbach (Österreich) kapituliert.

Einsatz der Division :

A ) März 1945 bei Kehl am Rhein wurden der dort liegenden Volks-Grenadier-Division ca. 25 SS-Oberjunker als Kompanie- und Zugführer abgestellt, aber später wieder der Division zugeführt.
B ) Donaufront zwischen Ingolstadt un Regensburg. Aufklärungsabteilung vermutlich noch in Raum Oberpfalz in Einsatz.
C ) Absetzbewegungen in Richtung Süden :
Divisions-Einheiten und 95. SS-Grenadier-Regiment über Landshut – Wasserburg – Rosenheim – Chiemsee – Reit im Winkl.
D ) 96. SS-Grenadier-Regiment über Landshut – Wasserburg – Traunstein – Bad Reichenhall – Reit im Winkl.
E ) Am 8. Mai 1945 kapitulierte die Division (Stab) in Oberwössen bei Reit im Winkl, von dort durch die Amerikaner nach Tegernau (Kreis Ebersberg) verlegt – dort erfolgte die Entwaffung. Danach Verlegung ins Kriegsgefangenenlager nach Ochsenfuhrt.

95. SS-Grenadier-Regiment

Kommandeur : SS-Obersturmbannführer Markus Faulhaber (RK)
(Ertrunken in Reit i. Winkl, überführt nach Radolfzell)

Adjutant : SS-Hauptsturmführer Wiemann

Regiments-Radfahrzug : SS-Oberjunker ? Rudolf Kerstein

16. Kompanie (Pioniere) : SS-Oberjunker Hubert Kampmann

I. Bataillon

Kommandeur : SS-Hauptsturmführer Josef Biegel
(Ertrunken in Reit i. Winkl, Ruhestätte Kriegsgräberstätte Berchtesgaden, Reihe X, Grab Nr. 34)

Adjutant : SS-Untersturmführer Walter German
(Gefallen am 28. April, erstbestattet Gemeindefriedhof Siegenburg, dann vermutl. in die Heimat überführt)

2. Kompanie : ?
1. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Erich Geissler

II. Bataillon

Kommandeur : SS-Sturmbannführer Wilfried Richter (RK)

Adjutant : SS-Obersturmführer Heinrich Reinecke
SS-Oberjunker Josef Brandstätter (27. April gefallen bei Neustadt)
IVa : SS-Obersturmführer Meysing

5. Kompanie : SS-Untersturmführer Dimter (28. April verwundet bei Wöhr)

1. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Bjorn Brynjulsson (29. April vermisst bei Wöhr)
2. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Richard Eggers

6. Kompanie : SS-Untersturmführer Willi Thieme

1. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Herbert Volling
2. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Werner Drewes
3. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Werner Dietsch
(Gruppenführer Uscha. Fritz Petersen, Uscha. Fritz Weber, Uscha.Wilhelm Deichgräber)

7. Kompanie : SS-Oberjunker Tiberius Gräbeldinger
(29. April gefallen in Neustadt, Kriegsgräberstätte Hofkirchen)

1. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Gerhard Oppermann (29. April gefallen in Neustadt/Hofkirchen)

8. Kompanie : SS-Obersturmführer Heinrich Reinecke
SS-Untersturmführer Seewald

1. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Sepp Breitenberger (29. April vermisst)
3. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Julius Schafleitner (26. April gefallen, Kriegsgräberstätte Hofkirchen)

Einsatz : 26.-29. 4.45 Raum Pförring – Mönchsmünster – Wöhr – Neustadt

8. Kompanie (alt Brückenkopf-Komp.) mit unterstellten Reg.-Radfahrzeug in :
26.-27.4.45
Pförring 14 gefallene
Marching 1 gefallene
Irnsing 8 gefallene

28.4.45 5. und 6. Kompanie Brücke Neustadt Strasse 299 (Marching) Ortschaft Wöhr : 16 gefallene

28.-29.4.45 7. Kompanie Mauern – Neustadt : 12 gefallene. Rest der 7. Kompanie kapitulierte am 2. Mai in Neustadt

27.4.45 Bataillonsgefechtsstand : Bahnwärterhäuschen westlich von Neustadt. In den Abenstunden von den Amerikanern engenommen. Oberjunker Brandstätter fiel bei der Abwehr.

III. Bataillon

Kommandeur : SS-Sturmbannführer Rühle von Lilienstern (RK)

2. Kom1panie : SS-Untersturmführer Kraus

1. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Leendert de Visser

Die 12. Kompanie wurde am 27. April dem II. Bataillon unterstellt.

96. SS-Grenadier-Regiment

Kommandeur : Obersturmbannführer Walter Schmidt (RK, EL)

Adjutant : Hauptmann d. R. Otto Thimme

Rgt.-Arzt : Oberarzt d. R. Kurt Petter

Regimentseinheiten :
Granatwerfer-Kompanie : Oberleutnant d. R. Ernst W. Andrae
Flak-Einheit (vormals RAD-Einheit) : ?

I. Bataillon

Kommandeur : SS-Hauptsturmführer Ludwig Lieb

Adjutant : SS-Oberjunker Georg Mende

1. Kompanie : SS-Untersturmführer Paul Hafner

1. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Ludwig Maier
?. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Otto Prins
?. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Erwin Müller
ausserdem in der Kompanie : SS-Oberjunker Gerhard ten Boom
SS-Junker ? Egil Haga
SS-Junker Gerhard Kohl (gefallen 25.4.45 in Peising)
SS-Oberjunker Jan Reinders-Fullmer
SS-Oberjunker Helmut Ultsch

Einsatz : 25.-27.4.45 Bad Abbach, 28.4.45 Landshut

2. Kompanie : SS-Untersturmführer Müller (gefallen 26.4.45 bei Bad Abbach)

1. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Henrik Smits (vermisst bei Bad Abbach)

3. Kompanie : SS-Oberjunker Oscar Schönleber (gefallen bei Bad Abbach)

Einsatz : Bad Abbach – Lengfeld

II. Bataillon

Kommandeur : Hauptmann d. R. Wilhelm Glander
Im Stab : SS-Oberjunker Reinhard Hoppe-Kossak

7. Kompanie : Oberleutnant d. R. Dietrich Sprockhoff

2. Zug : SS-Junker Badewitz

8. Kompanie : Oberleutnant d. R. Kurt Hirsch (26.4.45 an Verwundung gestorben in Alkofen)

9. Kompanie : Leutnant d. R. Rolf Bremer

Einsatz : 25.-27.4.45 Saal – Alkofen – Lengfeld, 28.4.45 Landshut

III. Bataillon

Kommandeur : SS-Hauptsturmführer Hans-Joachim Kaschner

9. Kompanie : SS-Obersturmführer Anton Wolf (gefallen 26.4.45, Kriegsgräberstätte Treuchtlingen)

11. Kompanie : SS-Untersturmführer Hasselmann

1. Zug : SS-Oberjunker Karlheinz Bradtke (Gruppenführer Uscha. Helmut Haake, Uscha. Bodo Blum)

Einsatz : Vohburg/Donau

?. Bataillon

Kommandeur : SS-Hauptsturmführer Burgstaller

Batl.-Spiess : SS-Hauptscharführer Tudo Aumann

Folgende Zug-bzw. Kompanieführer gelten als vermisst :

SS-Oberjunker Christian Schäfer
SS-Oberjunker Helmut Sieben
SS-Oberjunker Hans Andriessen
SS-Oberjunker Franz Fussi (bei Vohburg vermisst)
SS-Oberjunker Walter Lietzau
SS-Oberjunker Wilhelm Schaal
SS-Oberjunker Fritz Bardes
SS-Oberjunker Peter Henning
SS-Oberjunker Konrad Stirnweiss

38. SS-Artillerie-Regiment
(früher Artillerie-Lehr-Regiment Beneschau)

Kommandeur : SS-Obersturmbannführer Hornung

I. Abteilung : ?

II. Abteilung :

Kommandeur : SS-Hauptsturmführer Wode

Adjutant : SS-Untersturmführer Gehm

5. Batterie : SS-Obersturmführer Schwarz

6 lFH 18/42 mit Vollketten-Zugmaschinen
Auf dem Bahnhof Cham 5.Batterie beim Entladen vom Luftangriff überrascht, das gesamte Gerät wurde zerstört.

6. Batterie : SS-Untersturmführer Garlheinz Behnke

6 lFH 18/42 mit Vollketten-Zugmaschinen
Einsatz bei Ingoldstadt, beim Pionier-Übungsplatz in Feuerstellung. Bei Haar wurde die Abteilung fast vollständig aufgerieben.
Vor Reichenhall ging die 6. Batterie noch mit 2 lFH in Feuerstellung.
Absetzbewegung im Raum Zell am See – Liezen.
Am 7. Mai 1945 Restteile des Regimentes, darunter die I. Panzer-Abteilung in Bruck a. d. Mur bein einem AK (?) zu neuem Einsatz.

SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 38

Kommandeur : SS-Hauptsturmführer Nestler

1. Kompanie : SS-Hauptsturmführer Jobke

2. Kompanie : SS-Obersturmführer Jeskens

List soldiers fallen in the field of honor. (The date of birth - date of the death, the annexation and place of the death)

Hans Stypmann 04.07.1928 – 20.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. III. Btl. 9. Komp. Reichertshofen
Gerhard Kohls 27.04.1925 – 25.04.1945 (Standarten-Junker) 2. Rgt. I. Btl. 1. Komp. Peising
Rudolf Zeitler 01.07.1929 – 25.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. I. Btl. 1. Komp. Peising
Heinrich Harreiner 29.08.1928 – 27.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. III. Btl. 8. Komp.
Wilhelm Beinker 05.08.1928 – 26.04.1945 (AHS)
Paul Klär 01.01.1929 – 26.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. III. Btl. 8. Komp. Lengfeld
Horst Bellmann 10.08.1928 – 26.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. III. Btl. 8. Komp. Lengfeld
Horst Diebow 13.10.1928 – 27.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. III. Btl. 8. Komp.
Helmut Luley 06.08.1928 – 30.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. III. Btl. 8. Komp.
Kurt Hirsch 26.04.1945 Alkofen Oberleutnant d. R.
Werner Templin 24.01.1929 – 28.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. III. Btl. 8. Komp.
Robert Barnickel 1929 - 27.04.1945
Günter Finger 24.06.1928 - 26.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. III. Btl. 8. Komp.
Manfred Krause 02.09.1928 - 26.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. III. Btl. 8. Komp. Lengfeld
Müller 27.04.1945 Untersturmführer
Ernst Kainz
Günther Reubel 29.07.1925 – 26.04.1945 (Fahnenjunker) 2. Rgt. III. Btl. Lengfeld
Alfred Bayer 23.08.1928 – 26.04.1945 (RAD) 2. Rgt. III. Btl. Lengfeld
Gotthilf Joos 25.06.1928 – 26.04.1945 2. Rgt. III. Btl. Lengfeld
Jakob Rakusch
Kurt Pfefferkorn 17.09.1928 – 26.04.1945 2. Rgt. III. Btl. Lengfeld
Bernhard Wiegmann 06.06.1928 – 26.04.1945 2. Rgt. III. Btl. Lengfeld
Robert Barnickel 15.04.1929 – 26.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. I. Btl. 1. Komp. Abbach
Helmut Baudisch 25.05.1928 – 26.04.1945 2. Rgt. I. Btl. 1. Komp. Abbach
Herbert Harich 15.07.1928 – 26.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. I. Btl. 1. Komp. Abbach
Hermann Spittler 19.09.1928 – 27.04.1945 2. Rgt. I. Btl. 1. Komp. Abbach
Otmar Biedermann 30.08.1928 – 28.04.1945 (AHS) 2. Rgt. I. Btl. 1. Komp. Landshut
Soldat Müller 1928 - 28.04.1945 2. Rgt. I. Btl. 1. Komp. Landshut
Manfred Küssner 17.05.1928 – 01.05.1945 (AHS) Maierholz
Johann Bieber 10.01.1928 – 01.05.1945 Maierholz
Günter Bräuer 28.07.1924 – 19.06.1945 gestorben an seiner Verwundung
Walter von Lasser 08.05.1929 – 30.04.1945 (AHS) Fall
Günter Schmelz 20.09.1930 – 26.05.1945 (AHS) verwundet Bahnhof Pforzen
Gerhard Pohl 12.03.1931 – 24.04.1945 (AHS) Bahnhof Pforzen
Hans Witt 25.11.1931 – 24.04.1945 (AHS) Bahnhof Pforzen

Das Regiment 96 der "Nibelungen", am Kapitulationstag, dem 8. Mai 1945, noch ca. 300 Mann stark.Ich verlieh den jungen Soldaten das Eiserne Kreuz. General von Tolsdorff, dem das Regiment in den letzen Tagen unterstellt war, sprach dann auch noch zu meinen Männern. Er bat sie, eines Tages diese Orden mit Stolz zu tragen.
Walter Schmidt im Brief vom 19.06.1992, Kommandeur 96. SS-Grenadier-Regiment

May 8, 1945, the regiment 96 of the Nibelungen counted still 300 people. I attributed to these young people soldier the Iron Cross. General Tolsdorff, to whom the regiment had been subordinated these last days, spoke to my people. He asked them to wear proudly this decoration during this day.
Walter Schmidt's letter of 19.06.1992, Kommandeur 96. SS-Grenadier-Regiment

Polux

Post Tenebras Lux

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 11 Sep 2003, 18:04

polux, great info!

Thanks for posting it!

BTW: What AHS stands for?

Camp Upshur

Post by Camp Upshur » 12 Sep 2003, 02:18

Polux,

Thanks for the informative and comprehensive post.

Does anything in you documents specifically the drowning of 95 SS Gen Rgt CO Markus Faulhaber(RK)? Location (Salzach River?), cicumstance, etc? Pesumably he drowned with Biegel? Faulhaber has proven to be a difficult officer to unvestigate.

P.S. For Kocjo: AHS =Adolf Hitler Schule

polux

38. SS-Grenadier-Division Nibelungen

Post by polux » 16 Sep 2003, 00:28

Dear Camp Upshur,

Regrettably, any information about the drowning Faulhaber and Biegel in the Mr Schneider's book.

I look for information with regard to Hauptsturmführer Jobke. I am in ownership of a document of 38. SS Division and I wish to make cross checking of dates and of places to authenticate it.

Cordial greetings.

Polux

Post Tenebras Lux

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 16 Sep 2003, 06:20

Any pic of 38th SS, somebody ???????????

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 23 Oct 2007, 20:06

In this thread there's a Obersturmführer Graf von Pourtales.
As far as I can tell he's identical to Manfred Graf von Pourtales and I just found the following about him on the internet, that for those who are interested in what happened to this officer after WW-2.

http://www.neheim-news.de/geschichte/19740624.php

Greetings,
Mike

Camp Upshur

Post by Camp Upshur » 25 Oct 2007, 09:00

Still water runs deep...

A cursory review of Graf Pourtales seems to point that he was:

A descendent of Bismark; (http://worldroots.com/brigitte/famous/h ... 280-09.htm)

A Waffen SS officer, and;

A Catholic priest !?

Does anyone have any of his military biography, he was the aide-de-camp at the Junkerschule Tölz according to Schulze-Kossens, but that's hardly an initial posting.

Mikedc

Re: SS-Division “Nibelungen”

Post by Mikedc » 30 Sep 2012, 19:25

Polux wrote:
Full name was of course Manfred Graf von Portales.
And he was already SS-Hauptsturmführer at the time he was Adjudant.
He was promoted to SS-Hstuf. der Waffen-SS on 30.01.1945 (mit Wirkung von 21.12.1944).
Source: SS-Personalveränderungsblatt 30.01.1945/page 28.

Greetings, Mike

radevich

Re: SS-Division “Nibelungen”

Post by radevich » 07 Jun 2014, 15:30

Mikedc wrote:Polux wrote:
Full name was of course Manfred Graf von Portales.
And he was already SS-Hauptsturmführer at the time he was Adjudant.
He was promoted to SS-Hstuf. der Waffen-SS on 30.01.1945 (mit Wirkung von 21.12.1944).
Source: SS-Personalveränderungsblatt 30.01.1945/page 28.

Greetings, Mike
Manfred von POURTALES SS-Nr.204 043 geb.07.03.1912
Ostuf.d.R.: 20.04.1943; SS-Hstuf der Waffen-SS: 30.01.1945 (mit wirkung von 21.12.1944)
SS-Junkerschule Tölz (04.43) (12.44)

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”