Waffen-SS: RK and DKiG Winner - ID required....please!

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Matt Gibbs

Waffen-SS: RK and DKiG Winner - ID required....please!

Post by Matt Gibbs » 01 Sep 2003, 17:59

I have another officer who I would like to try and identify, and if someone could browse their info I would appreciate it. He is also a DK winner so hopefully someone can help me, this guy is also an APB winner. He also has what looks like the IAB and the Golden HJ honour badge too...
must have been around a bit...
Regards
Matt Gibbs
Attachments
Who3.jpg
Who3.jpg (7.31 KiB) Viewed 5255 times

Doppelkopf

Post by Doppelkopf » 01 Sep 2003, 20:15

Hi Matt!

I thought you would know this one: SS-Obersturmführer Erich Kühbandner.

Regards

Matt Gibbs

Who..???

Post by Matt Gibbs » 01 Sep 2003, 22:23

Err..you're saying these two are the same person..?
How come I cannot see the similarity..? Maybe it's my eyes.
Can you identify your source for me..? Pretty please...
I wasn't aware of Kühbandner winning the DK.
Cheers
Matt
Attachments
kuhbandthree.jpg
kuhbandthree.jpg (9.7 KiB) Viewed 5205 times

Doppelkopf

Post by Doppelkopf » 01 Sep 2003, 23:11

Can you identify your source for me..? Pretty please...
OK Matt, since you said pretty please - this picture is also in Rolf Michaelis's "Die Gebirgs-Divisionen der Waffen-SS" (probably the best source on the Karstjäger).
I wasn't aware of Kühbandner winning the DK.
This has been troubling me ever since I saw this picture.

Regards
Doppelkopf

Matt Gibbs

Troubled

Post by Matt Gibbs » 02 Sep 2003, 18:00

Hmm, yes, me too. Looks like further research required...anybody else got a clue or has the photo got mixed up somewheres...?
Many thanks for the replies folks..!
Regards
Matt Gibbs

Matt Gibbs

German Cross Winner Question...

Post by Matt Gibbs » 03 Sep 2003, 15:57

Can anyone on the Forum say whether Kühbandner recieved the german Cross or not..? Is there a good book in english detailing all the DK winners of the Waffen SS..?
Any information greatly welcomed.
It is interesting to not that in February 1945 when he met Himmler for the APB award ceremony he is not wearing the DK in the photographs but has al his other medals and medal bar...
I am wondering why the picture i posted has been ID'd as Kühbandner when I was never aware he won the DK. Is this possibly a case of mistaken identity somewhere along the line..? Any info's to clear up the mystery, DK award date etc etc would be interested to hear!
Kind regards
Matt Gibbs

K.Kocjancic

Re: German Cross Winner Question...

Post by K.Kocjancic » 03 Sep 2003, 17:09

Matt Gibbs wrote:Can anyone on the Forum say whether Kühbandner recieved the german Cross or not..? Is there a good book in english detailing all the DK winners of the Waffen SS..?
I think that Mark Yerger is writing something about this.

Matt Gibbs

Hmmm

Post by Matt Gibbs » 10 Sep 2003, 01:06

I am wondering if my question has actually met with a blank of head scratching.? I thought that the DK winners were actually pretty well written about over the years and someone might have something on this..?
A contact for the author rolf Michaelis might be useful as I could contact him and check the course for the id of the picture in his book!

If not then perhaps someone could give me the awards and deatils of Helmut Prasch who is someone else I am wondering this might be..? As Kocjo mentioned the figure witht he overseas cap has been identified as Prasch in another book... this is confusing me now! 8O

Regards
Matt Gibbs

Matt Gibbs

Hello folks

Post by Matt Gibbs » 17 Nov 2003, 12:59

for thsoe who have bothered to scroll down this far, Kocjo has a reference that the tropical hat wearing 'possible kuhbandner' has also been identified as Helmut Prasch, see his seperate post about this, does anyone have a positive ID on Prasch and Kühbandner, a photo from the personnel file OR can advise me on where to get a copy of these personnel files from..???

You think one of these published authors would be able to get it right wouldn't you..?? grrrr

regards

Matt Gibbs

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 18 Nov 2003, 18:30

Mr. Stefano Di Giusto just wrote to me, that he is sure that, that is Prasch not Kühbandner.

Regards,
Kocjo

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 18 Nov 2003, 18:32

Doppelkopf, from where do you know that's Kühbander on both photos?

Maybe is Prasch man (with Edelweiß insignia visible) on the first photos and Kühbander is that man on other photo???? :? :? :?

Regards,
Kocjo

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 19 Nov 2003, 01:34

This is Kühbander.

==========================================================================================

And this is Prasch.

Mistery solved.

John P. Moore

Helmut "Prasch"

Post by John P. Moore » 19 Nov 2003, 04:05

I can find no record of the existence of a Helmut Prasch or Brasch. Can someone please provide some details about this fellow that would confirm he really existed?

Matt Gibbs

Prasch or not

Post by Matt Gibbs » 19 Nov 2003, 13:39

Hello again folks,
John - just out of interest I have NO record of Erich Kuhbandner recieving the DK and if this is him then when did he recieve it, can you tell from your records perhaps..??? Since the picture is also in Rolf Michaelis's Die Gebirgs-Divisionen der Waffen-SS, as mentioned above I asume this source is correct, can anyone comment further.? Kocjo, I will only think the mystery is solved when I know Kuhbandner recieved the DK! :D

My source for SS Obersturmführer Helmut Prasch is the 22nd february 1945 Berlin Edition of the Völkischer Beobachter which covered the 1st Presentation of the Bandenkampfabzeichen in GOLD - presented by Himmler to Prasch, Kühbandner and 2 other SS troops.
The article states that the Reichsfuhrer presents the award to 4 members of the SS who were fighting in the Adriatisches Küstenland.

Can you use this info to find any further information..? I am not sure if there is any spelling error in the article but that is how it is spelled in the photocopy I took from the archives. I'd love to know more, specially as he was a Gold award winner of the BKA!

Kind regards
Matt Gibbs
PS I just realised this is my 1000th post 8O

K.Kocjancic

Re: Prasch or not

Post by K.Kocjancic » 19 Nov 2003, 15:45

Matt Gibbs wrote:PS I just realised this is my 1000th post 8O
Congrats! :D
John P. Moore wrote:I can find no record of the existence of a Helmut Prasch or Brasch. Can someone please provide some details about this fellow that would confirm he really existed?
Only info that I have on him (besides Matt's) is here.

Regards,
Kocjo

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”