Waffen SS and the KZ system

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
tomalbright

Waffen SS and the KZ system

Post by tomalbright » 24 May 2002, 15:27

To put this well-worn topic in perspective and put an empircal spin on this debate, lets put some numbers into the mix from my research on the SS-TV and KZ officer corps.

Of approximately 26,000 Waffen SS officers who served from 1939-45, around 500 or so either served in the prewar or wartime KZ system; this represents 2% of the total W-SS officer corps.

Of the 500, approximately 33% were medical personnel; of the non-medical officers, 50% served in the prewar system, mostly in the guard battalions (only 8% served in camp administration at some point in their SS-TV service, this being representative of the overall ratio of administrative-to-guard personnel in the prewar camps), and never came back to the camp system; amongst this group were famous and highly decorated commanders like Simon, Becker and Bochmann. 25% of the non-medical SS officers served in both the pre-war and wartime KZ system (examples: Paul-Werner Hoppe, Richard Baer and Anton Kaindl) , with the remaining 25% having served only in the wartime KZ system (example: Otto Foerschner (served in the prewar SS-VT, SS-Wiking Division). Any questions, please e-mail me, my data base is a work in progress, but my work on W-SS officers who served in the KZ system is well along.

regards
Tom

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 25 May 2002, 16:36

Could you give any source for your numbers?

tomalbright

Waffen SS and KZ system

Post by tomalbright » 25 May 2002, 18:20

My sources:

Berlin Document Center SS Officers personnel files at National Archives in College Park, MD

John Moore's Comprehensive list of Waffen SS officers on CD-ROM

French Maclean's "The Camp Men", which I used as the basis of my initial research,; it is error-laden at times, but a great starting point.

regards

Tom

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”