Italian Generals

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
AJK

Italian Generals

Post by AJK » 20 Jun 2002, 19:54

I am currently researching the Generals of the Italian Army during the 1914 - 1945 period. There are a couple of websites that provide partial lists of Generals during WWI and during WWII, but the information they provide is limited.

Do any of the readers of this forum have access to Italian Army rank lists (Annuario Ufficiale delle Forze Armata) for any of the above-mentioned years? I am specifically looking for information on the officers of General rank.

Thanks in advance.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 21 Jun 2002, 21:17

Victor Madeja's book "Italian Army Order of Battle 1940-44 published by Valour has some 11 pages listing from A-Z all Italian General officers of both the Army & CCRR.

:D Andy from the Shire

AJK

Italian Generals

Post by AJK » 21 Jun 2002, 22:07

Thanks Andy. I already have the book, which is pretty useful. The US Army microfilms contain even more information, but both these sources concentrate purely on the war (WWII) years. I am trying to fill out the gaps in my files on the pre-war Generals, and at this stage, after many years of scouring publicly available materials, I think only the official rank lists from the Italian archives can help. I have a standing invitation to visit the archives to study these lists, but living in the USA, I don't know when I will be able to take up the offer. In the meantime, I was hoping (even though it's a long shot) that one of the readers might have access to some of this information.

Turiddu

Post by Turiddu » 08 Jul 2002, 04:59

Wow! how lucky you are AJK!!!
If I had that invitation I would go... I also do some research on Italian Foreign policy under Mussolini and I think I have some data, but not in that level you mention...

One of the main problems is that post fascism governaments have hidden the files or even distroyed them... a pity isn't it true?

Southern greetings!

AJK

Italian Generals

Post by AJK » 08 Jul 2002, 15:53

Hi Turiddu!

I don't doubt that some (or even a lot) of foreign policy materials from the Mussolini era have been buried or destroyed by successive post-war governments trying to change the color of their past. However, as regards military records, I am sure that these remain intact. I have already received copies of naval rank lists from the pre-war era, and the only reason that the Army archives could not send me photocopies of their lists is the volume of work involved. Hence the invitation to visit and look for myself. I will definitely do so at some point, the only question is that of finding the time.

Best wishes from the USA!

AJK

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”