Axis maps of Tunisia

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
kartmann_109

Axis maps of Tunisia

Post by kartmann_109 » 29 Dec 2003, 16:42

I'm searching for maps and info regarding the front line on specific dates, mainly around Kiarouan but if anyone knows where anything can be sourced I'll be very grateful.

Tom.

Kriegsberichter

maps

Post by Kriegsberichter » 02 Jan 2004, 10:42

Most likely they used pre-war maps, reprineted during the war. Forinstance for the battle in Holland they used old Dutch pre-war maps. The same maps the Dutch Army used. Some of these maps were updated during the war. The British did the same I think. They used original Tunisian maps later updated.
For doing research for war-diary's and mapreferences you must know first what scale they did use.
The British used several different scales of the same are (to make it more complex!)
Forinstance Kairouan 1:200.000 (GSGS 4227 Tunisia Serie, sheet 11) The map is also named Kairouan, But there are also bigger maps (smaller scale's (1:100.000 and 1:50.000).
You can contact and ask them for other maps as well:
Defence Geographic and Imagery Intelligence Agency, Defence Geographic centre, Block A, Goverment Building, Hook Rise South, Tolworth, SURBITON, Surrey KT6 7NB in the U.K. What the costs are I do not know. I do have the index for Tunisia of all scales but did not order any yet
What specific battle are you researching? (I doing research after 1 (British) Para Battalion which fought in the Mateur - Beja Sidi N'sir and Djebel Mansour area).

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”