ITALIAN UNIT TRANSLATION.

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Snoopy
In memoriam

ITALIAN UNIT TRANSLATION.

Post by Snoopy » 30 Jan 2004, 09:32

Hello!

Can anybody translate the following into English for me:

“FANTERIA AUTOTRANSPORTABILE”?? and
“FANTERIA AUTOTRANSPORTABILE TIPO AS”??

What is the difference between the two?

Also:
“FANTERIA AVIOLANCIABILE”

Thanks for you help -

FB

Post by FB » 30 Jan 2004, 10:12

AUTOTRASPORTABILE litterally means "than can be transported by motorized means (auto)". Thus it must NOT be confused/listed with/as a mechanized unit.

AUTOTRASPORTABILE TIPO AS means the same os above but TIPO AS means Africa Settentrionale (AS) kind. I know that Regio Esercito modified the OoB and TO&E of its Divs at some point during the war, and those new Divs were called "TIPO AS"

FANTERIA AVIOLANCIABILE means "Infantry that can be launched from planes (AVIO)", and could bear (but I'm not shure) the same difference with a Para Unit that the above Autotrasportabile has with a Mechanized unit

Lupo Solitario will certainly be a lot more precise than me about all this.

Best regards

Snoopy
In memoriam

Post by Snoopy » 30 Jan 2004, 10:23

Thanks for the help FB!

I've been bothering the heck out of my friend Lupo lately so thought I'd try and find out a few things on my own.

FANTERIA AVIOLANCIABILE means "Infantry that can be launched from planes (AVIO)", and could bear (but I'm not shure) the same difference with a Para Unit that the above Autotrasportabile has with a Mechanized unit

Could this be like the British glider units or American airmobile divs? i.e.: they were moved by plane but did not jump out of them?

best regards -

FB

Post by FB » 30 Jan 2004, 12:09

As you might have learned, in the military world most about anything can happen :lol: so I guess that it coud be what you said but I doubt it because grammatically speaking the "LANCIABILE" part of AVIOLANCIABILE bears the meaning of the "jump" (Lanciare = to throw, and military speaking, to drop) and not simply that of the transportability by an airplane. Practically speaking it implies more the drop with a Parachute (better: the possibility to do so) than simply the Airborne (and I know that the famous Para Divs in the U.S. Army. like the 101st and the 82nd were/are called Airborne... but my dictionary says that Airborne = Aero/Aviotrasportabile... so I guess that the term you used, Airmobile, is more appropriate than Airborne)

Airborne = Aerotrasportato/Aviotrasportato (NOT "...trasportaBILE that means, again, tha CAN be transported by plane, NOT that it actually IS transported).

I hope to have not confused you more instead than clarify things.

Best regards

daveh

Post by daveh » 30 Jan 2004, 21:40

from
http://www.1jma.dk/articles/1jmaarticle ... lyarmy.htm
AIR LANDING DIVISIONS

The concept was for an infantry division to be specially trained and equipped for transportability in aircraft. They were to disembark on airfields that had been secured by airborne troops. The 80th "La Spezia" air landing division was the only infantry division so trained, and like the Italian airborne divisions, it was formed with the sole aim of taking part in the invasion of Malta. As this invasion never took place, the division ended up on the frontline, fighting as ordinary infantry, and came to an end in Tunisia.

Snoopy
In memoriam

Post by Snoopy » 31 Jan 2004, 14:02

Hi Dave!

THANKS FOR THE THREAD!!!!!

REALLY VERY INFORMATIVE AND A BIG HELP!!!!

Best regards -

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”