Your opinion?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Eistir

Your opinion?

Post by Eistir » 03 Feb 2004, 12:24

NEW YORK - Elizabeth Fried says she survived eight months at the hands of Dr. Josef Mengele and his Nazi cohorts. Injections given, blood taken. When it was over, she was sterile.

Yahoo Article
Mon Jan 26, 3:51 AM ET
By LARRY NEUMEISTER, Associated Press Writer

Fried, now 88, is one of almost 1,800 Jews who have come forward for the first time with accounts of being Hitler's human guinea pigs during World War II.

Their stories, told to Jewish groups dispersing money from Holocaust court settlements, prove that thousands more were tortured under the guise of scientific research than previously thought, according to an expert.

A few of the written testimonies submitted to a settlement committee in the last year are being released Monday, said Gideon Taylor, executive vice president of the Conference on Jewish Materials Claims Against Germany.

So far, 1,778 Jewish victims of Nazi medical experiments from 33 countries have responded.

"We certainly didn't expect this number," Taylor said of the 1,778 who responded, many noting that they were less interested in the $5,400 payouts that will begin getting mailed this week than in having their stories known.

Taylor said such a large number of people making claims indicates there were thousands more who either died during the experiments or have died in the years since. "Our knowledge has been significantly broadened," he said.

Data collected from the claimants show there were about 178 different types of medical experiments conducted in more than 30 camps and ghettos. Some victims were not Jewish, including a group of Polish nuns, Taylor said.

"It's a glimpse into one of the most shocking parts of the Holocaust," he said. "You just read these testimonies. It forces you to believe the unbelievable. These people have been through hell. There's no other way to describe it."

He said it was "closer to torture than it is to anything you could call medicine."

In submissions likely to change the way history books chronicle one of the worst horrors of the Holocaust, several victims have agreed to let their names be released.

Among those was Polish-born U.S. resident Hyman Turenshine, 76, who said he remained silent for years about the sterilization experiments he underwent in Auschwitz in 1944 — but was motivated to speak out by those who suggest the Holocaust never occurred.

Written statements by Turenshine and others who are speaking out will be given to Holocaust institutions, including the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington.

"Every day when I go to wash or shave, I look down at the number tattooed on my arm and am reminded and haunted by everything that happened," said Turenshine.

"The payment isn't what's important to me. Instead, our stories need to become part of a permanent historical record," he said.

Fried said Mengele included her in his experiments for eight months in 1944 because she was a twin. She said the experiments took away her ability to have children.

"Dr. Mengele took blood often and gave me injections. He never looked me in the eye. I also had to clean and cook for him as if I were his maid," she wrote.

Others wanted to remain anonymous.

A 76-year-old man described repeatedly being cut by a Nazi doctor and nurses with unsanitized instruments so they could see how wounds responded to various medicated creams and liquids.

Another 73-year-old woman told of Mengele pulling her from a line of people headed to the gas chambers at Auschwitz to go to his laboratory, where she was injected with drugs and chemicals or where "they made cuts into my body and left the wounds open for them to study."

"I was used as a guinea pig for medical experiments," she writes. At another point, she says, "As bad as the experiments were, without them I would not be here today to write this."
----------------------------------------------------------

One 82-year-old man described an experiment in which the Nazis unleashed dogs with poison on their teeth to chase him and another man and rip flesh from their legs.

Should I belive it? :?

Eistir

Post by Eistir » 03 Feb 2004, 15:44

Sorru guys I didn't noticed that there was that topic allready.Strange story anyway.

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 03 Feb 2004, 20:29

Nazi medical experiments are well enough documented, there are plenty of books out there about them, try amazon if your skeptical.

Eistir

Post by Eistir » 03 Feb 2004, 21:10

Is there any documents about "poison dogs"?Please introduce us all with those.

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 03 Feb 2004, 21:20

Eistir wrote:Is there any documents about "poison dogs"?Please introduce us all with those.
None that I know of, but plenty of Nazis were sadists, this isn't something oh so special to think up. If they can put babies into acid, I doubt putting poison on a dogs teeth is beneath them.

xcalibur

Post by xcalibur » 03 Feb 2004, 21:57

Kunikov wrote:
Eistir wrote:Is there any documents about "poison dogs"?Please introduce us all with those.
None that I know of, but plenty of Nazis were sadists, this isn't something oh so special to think up. If they can put babies into acid, I doubt putting poison on a dogs teeth is beneath them.
"babies into acid"? Any credible source for this?

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 03 Feb 2004, 22:07

xcalibur wrote:
Kunikov wrote:
I really have no time to search through all my books but it is documented, you can try 'I was a doctor in Auschwitz' by Dr. Gisella Perl if it's not there perhaps "The Nazi Doctors" or "The Holocaust Chronicle" otherwise you'll have to ask me again in the summer when I can look through all my books. Oh, also any books about Mengele's experiments on Kids, I have another one about only twins it might be mentioned there but I forget the author and name of the book, sorry, that's the best I can do on such short notice.

xcalibur

Post by xcalibur » 03 Feb 2004, 22:18

Kunikov wrote:
xcalibur wrote:
Kunikov wrote:
I really have no time to search through all my books but it is documented, you can try 'I was a doctor in Auschwitz' by Dr. Gisella Perl if it's not there perhaps "The Nazi Doctors" or "The Holocaust Chronicle" otherwise you'll have to ask me again in the summer when I can look through all my books. Oh, also any books about Mengele's experiments on Kids, I have another one about only twins it might be mentioned there but I forget the author and name of the book, sorry, that's the best I can do on such short notice.
Thanks...

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 03 Feb 2004, 22:43

xcalibur wrote:
Kunikov wrote:
xcalibur wrote:
Kunikov wrote:
Thanks...
http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/deathcamps.html
There is a reference to acid there but only once and not in the sense that I posted...but there are other types of 'experiments' listed there, perhaps that will be of help as well.

Dan

Post by Dan » 04 Feb 2004, 00:39

Buchenwald
1. Inmates were skinned for their tattoos (Fischer, 1995)
Kunikov, with respect, if sites like what you linked to didn't exist, they would be invented by anti-Semites to make the holocaust look like a big fake.

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 04 Feb 2004, 01:16

Dan wrote:
Buchenwald
Kunikov, with respect, if sites like what you linked to didn't exist, they would be invented by anti-Semites to make the holocaust look like a big fake.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what your trying to say?

Dan

Post by Dan » 04 Feb 2004, 01:22

That you are either totally uneducated conserning the holocaust, or you are brainwashed. When it comes to holocaust denial, you do more harm than good, because you spread lies and exaggerations.

xcalibur

Post by xcalibur » 04 Feb 2004, 01:31

Kunikov wrote:
Dan wrote:
Buchenwald
I'm sorry, I don't understand what your trying to say?
That the survivor stories about decorative articles and book covers being made of human skin has been debunked. In other words, there was no flaying of prisoners for the manufacture of these articles.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 04 Feb 2004, 22:48

Please avoid personal remarks in posts.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”