Polish Army Equipment, 1919-1939

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
sylvieK4

Polish Army Equipment, 1919-1939

Post by sylvieK4 » 26 Feb 2004, 14:24

From what I understand, many of the Mauser rifles used by the Polish Army during the interwar period were pre-1918 stock, were manfactured by either German producers prior to 1918, or by the Polish government operating on the same site once the original factory found itself inside the post-WWI national boundaries.

But what about other field equipment? Is it the same story for Polish army issue gas masks and mess kits? From images of these items, they look of similar design to those used by the German military. Were all of these items manufactured inside Poland or were they imported at any point from neighboring countries?

Does anyone know what factories produced the Polish uniforms (including hats, boots, etc)? From the German uniform and militaria sections here on the forum, we can see that such items have numerous manufacturers inside Germany alone. Were there Polish monopolies for production of uniform items, or scores of smaller concerns? (Does any one manufacturer stand out?) Were any uniforms/ devices imported from other countries?

Thanks.

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 26 Feb 2004, 18:25

Hello Sylvie....

In the early days of the II Republic, weapons were catch-as-catch can.... Austrian, French, Russian, German, whatever it took.... Naturally, there had to be a push to standardize...

The Danzig Mauser Werk was handed to Poland as reparations, and moved to Radom.

Still, though the Radom Mauser became the standard weapon, many second line units used older stock, and the Berthier rifle was not uncommon in 1939, and in the resistance later.

Ogorek

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 26 Feb 2004, 20:35

Thanks, Ogorok, for your reply. :)

I didn't realize the use of the Berthier rifle was so wide-spread, into 1939. (I imagine the soldiers would have preferred the Mauser if given a choice.)

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 26 Feb 2004, 21:03

Again... the Berthier was not uncommon among reserve units.

A late friend, a member of Kedyw, captured a number of them in a raid on a German police post... his outfit began the Warsaw Uprising armed partly with Berthiers, and a wheeled Russian Maxim machine gun....

The Berthiers were quickly replaced by captured Mausers, due to ammunition problems, but the Maxim soldiered on until they had to retreat to the Old Town.

mark67

Post by mark67 » 27 Feb 2004, 00:24

According information on 1st July 1938, Polish Army possed rifles as:
Mauser mod 98a - 59 500 pcs
Mauser mod 98 - 241 000 pcs
Mauser mod 29 - 300 849 pcs
Mauser mod 98 (short)- 263 099 pcs
Mosin mod 91/98/25 - 76 445 pcs
Berthier mod 16 - 41 949 pcs
Berthier mod 07/15 - 23 974 pcs
Label mod 86/93 - 145 222 pcs
Berthier mod 16 (short) - 18 436 pcs
Berthier mod 92 - 8 421 pcs
Mannlicher mod 90 - 1551 pcs
Mannlicher -Mauser mod 88 - 19 311 pcs
Mannlicher -Mauser mod 88 (short) -1679 pcs
Anyway Mauser variations were basic rifle of Polish Army, Mosins and some Berthiers were in use by Police, and other para military units. Rest was in mobilisation reserves as out of date weapon.

mietek

Post by mietek » 16 Apr 2004, 00:14

He everybody, it's my first post here :D

When we talk about Polish equipment we should remember that before 1918 Poland didn't exist, additionally on the Polish territory were heavy fighting 1914-18, when Poland get independence in fact most of industry was destroyed, was lack of money, resources,...

At the same time the war with Russia has started 1919-20, so was high demand for military equipment. In service was all, what was possible to find. The main sources were:
- ex Russian, Austrian, German army
- all leftovers from military warehouses (like Japanese Arisaka rifles used by Russians, captured Italian Mannlicher-Carcano used by Austrians. old 11mm Mauzers, Werndl etc.)
- weapon and equipment of Polish Army in France (blue army) of General Haller - they arrived to Poland fully equipped (incl. FT-17 tanks)
- when war 1920 started, Poland bought weapon - mostly French, but also widely were used US (uniforms, equipment, some weapon) and British (LeeEnefield rifles, uniforms). However there were problems to send it to Poland - in Germany was strong pro-communist movement, so transports were often stopped in Germany.

During war 1920 was used all what was possible to find, but generally troops which were in German army used German stuff, in Russian - Russian. New battalions formed in ex. German regions used also German weapon - many soldiers served before in different armies so was better to provide for them weapon what they already know, of course that terrible mix creates huge problem to supply soldiers on the front - different types of ammunition etc.

Just after 1918 factories starts to produce weapon, first mostly they fixed old one, but also some new equipment end uniforms were designed

End of 20' Polish army standardized weapon. Some was sold (like LeeEnefield to Baltic countries, or traded: exchange with Finland - Mosin for Mauser). Mosin were rechambered for Mauser ammo, same Russian artillery 76,2mm to 75mm etc.
New models were introduced in years 20/30 (rifle wz 29, Mg CKM wz 30, helmet wz 31, mess tin wz 31, breadbag wz 33, etc.). Most of it was designed in Poland, however in some cases based on ww1 (shovels like Austrian, bayonets similar to German etc.).

1939 - most of equipment was designed and produced in Poland. Only some troops used older one:
- cavalry used Adrian helmets
- tank troops Adrian tanker helmet
- one brigade used German (and probably Austrian too) m 16.

Uniforms were made in Poland, in some cases troops could issue older things from ww1 (canteens, mess tins etc.), also because in lack of equipment soldiers took private gear with them (ww1, produced for scouts, civilian) but it was not common.

Weapon (as was written before) mostly made in Poland, older Mauser made in Germany (often reworked). French weapon (Berthier, Lebel, LMG) was send to National Defense "Obrona Narodowa" and infantry. Other models were used by pre-military training organizations than used in 1929
Artillery was produced in Poland (like AA, AT guns on Bofors license) or ww1, same with planes, tanks, armored cars.
Only weapon or equipment what Poland import: tanks (R-35 from France), battleships, submarines, heavy artillery (costal), small number of infantry weapon (mostly for testing – Suomi MP, 13,2mm Hotchkiss HMG). Poland exported to Spain helmets, Mg CKM wz. 30, gas mask to Romania, Bofors guns, fighter planes to Turkey....

If you heave some more detailed questions just ask.....

mietek

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 16 Apr 2004, 00:34

Thanks, Mietek, for that informative reply, and welcome to the forum! :D

I am sure you will enjoy participating in our little community, here online. I know I have enjoyed your first post! Again, welcome. :)

mietek

Post by mietek » 24 Apr 2004, 00:16

Thanks sylvieK4 :D

I'm sorry I couldn't answer. I went abroad.

Pictures of Polish soldier equipement you can see:

http://28pp.prv.pl/ than "Ekwipunek"

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » 24 Apr 2004, 03:22

Slightly off-topic, being concerned with Polish aircraft guns, but this article on my website might be of interest: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Polish%20Guns.htm

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and Discussion forum

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Re: Polish Army Equipment, 1919-1939

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 19 Jun 2009, 23:25

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”