An Einsatzgruppen Inquiry

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Raistlin

An Einsatzgruppen Inquiry

Post by Raistlin » 06 Mar 2004, 04:18

Hi All,

I am new here so I hope this is the right place to put this.

What happen to the men of the Einsatzgruppen and Sonderkommado's who were not high ranking officiers ( Untersturmfuhrer or higher)? I mean the enlisten men. Were there trials for them? Did they face the same punishment as say Blobel? Or did they just disappear back into the woodwork?

Raistlin

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 06 Mar 2004, 04:40

Raistlin -- With the exception of the military tribunals of the USSR, I don't think I've never seen anyone below the rank of NCO as a defendant in a case arising out of Einsatzgruppen activities. In fact, it seems to me that the overwhelming number of defendants were junior and field grade officers commanding units (Einsatzkommando; Sonderkommando) or sub-units (Teilkommando).

Raistlin

Post by Raistlin » 06 Mar 2004, 04:56

Hi Mr. Thompson,

So you don't think any of the shooters (enlisted) were ever brought to justice. If you know how did so many killers escape justice? Was it on account that the Russians were after officiers only. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Russians really go after the SS after the war? Please any help would be geartly appreciated.

Raistlin

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 06 Mar 2004, 05:18

Raistlin_TheDarkOne from Somewhere -- You asked:
So you don't think any of the shooters (enlisted) were ever brought to justice.
I said that, outside the USSR, I don't remember having read of any Einsatzkommando enlisted men put on trial. That may well have happened in West Germany, but the information available to me does not give the rank, nor in many cases, does it even give the last name of the defendant.
If you know how did so many killers escape justice?
Volume. If you start with the assumption that an NCO commands 10-15 men, and a second lieutenant commands 40 men, you can see that if everyone is prosecuted the prosecutor is going to have a very large case load. Also, it was very difficult to identify and track down even the junior officers and NCOs. Finally, the judges (and popular opinion) were more sympathetic to defendants who had no command responsibility.
Was it on account that the Russians were after officiers only.
I don't think this statement is accurate.
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Russians really go after the SS after the war?
They certainly went after Nazi war criminals, at least until about 1952.

You concluded:
Please any help would be geartly appreciated.
The interested reader can find the German Einsatzgruppen trials summarized at:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=23398

Raistlin

Post by Raistlin » 06 Mar 2004, 05:33

Hi Mr. Thompson,

I am thankful for the help.

Raistlin

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”