Beatings of Field Marshal Milch by British troops in 1945

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Panzermahn

Beatings of Field Marshal Milch by British troops in 1945

Post by Panzermahn » 04 May 2004, 12:50

Hi,

Field Marshal Milch, 2nd-in-command of the Luftwaffe after Goering, was severely beaten by British Royal Marines whom Milch surrendered too..The British Government were forced to apologized to Milch for this uncivilized action..

source:
David Irving's The Rise and Fall of the Luftwaffe: Biography of Erhard Milch...

Although this is not a war crime, but i'm sure its nevertheless a crime to beat a soldier or an officer who surrendered which is the violation of the Geneva Convention..

As fas as i recall, the German troops has never beaten any surrendered or captured British of American generals during the war...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 04 May 2004, 17:39

No offence, but have you considered broading your horizons and read more than just Irvings books (and similar)? Using only such sources (and the occasional antisemitic and/or denier site) hardly makes your various "another warcrime of the evil allies" posts credible.
Just a friendly piece of advice.

/Marcus

Askold

Post by Askold » 04 May 2004, 19:18

Of interesting note - wasn't Milsh of Jewish descent? I believe his name surficed in the book "Hitler's Jewish Soldiers".

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 04 May 2004, 20:47

As fas as i recall, the German troops has never beaten any surrendered or captured British of American generals during the war...

Yes, the Germans always treated captured enemy soldiers with humanity and dignity. Cases in point- Le Paradis and Malmedy. :?

You may well be right about generals. They treated generals well. As a general rule, I wouldn't want to have been a junior officer, an NCO, or an enlisted man in German captivity, however.

~ Mike Miller

Dan

Post by Dan » 04 May 2004, 22:34

Milch's mom was ethnic German, his father ethnic Jewish, but they weren't married.

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 06 May 2004, 07:48

No offence, but have you considered broading your horizons and read more than just Irvings books (and similar)? Using only such sources (and the occasional antisemitic and/or denier site) hardly makes your various "another warcrime of the evil allies" posts credible.

/Marcus
i don't think Irving's book about Erhard Milch had anything to do with Jewish holocaust..If Irving is such a anti-semite as most of the people think he is, why should he bothered to write anything about a jewish field marshal of Germany
Yes, the Germans always treated captured enemy soldiers with humanity and dignity. Cases in point- Le Paradis and Malmedy.
Michael, the two war crimes you mentioned..

Le Paradis was no doubt a crime...but it is not premeditated as it was committed at the heat of moment..Lieutenant Fritz Knoechlein was enraged at the casualties suffered by the Totenkopf SS men and especially the allegations of British using the illegal dum-dum bullets cause him to ordered the British soldier to be shot..Apart from Le Paradis, the Waffen SS men never shoot any surrendering British troops in large numbers (50+) anywhere in WW2

Massacre at Malmedy...yes, again this is no doubt an atrocity perpertrated by the Germans..but if you were referring specifically to the shootings of the captured Americans assembled at 5 Points at Baugnez crossroads, then it was a deadly misunderstanding by the young LSSAH troopers guarding the americans as the americans were seen as about to escape and the young Germans shot them thinking that the Americans are preparing to escape..But if you referred to other atrocities in the vicinity of Malmedy (not the 5 points massacre) then you are correct..Some LSSAH men shot Belgian civillians and individual american soldiers

But again, i couldn't find any examples of the evil murderous and beastly Waffen SS men beating surrendered or captured British of American generals in WW2

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 06 May 2004, 10:51

why don't you try to search for "Dmitriy Karbishev"

Englander

Post by Englander » 06 May 2004, 11:44

Le Paradis was no doubt a crime...but it is not premeditated as it was committed at the heat of moment
I think it's being proved time and time again, your interpretations count for nothing!
Apart from Le Paradis, the Waffen SS men never shoot any surrendering British troops in large numbers (50+) anywhere in WW2
So you think fifty is a fare cut-off point do you? So that rules out the Canadians murdered in Caen. But your selective memory syndrome forgot this brutal outrage!
WORMHOUDT
(Pas-de-Calais, 27/28 May, 1940)
The day after the Le Paradis massacre, some 80 men of the 2nd Royal Warwickshire Regiment, the Cheshire Regiment and the Royal Artillery, were taken prisoner by the No7 Company, 2nd Battalion of the SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler. At Esquelbecq, near the town of Wormhoudt, the prisoners were marched into a large barn, and there the massacre began. Stick grenades were lobbed in amongst the defenceless prisoners who died in agony as shrapnel tore into their flesh. When the last grenade had been thrown, the survivors were then ordered outside, there to be mown down under a hail of bullets from automatic weapons. The SS then entered the barn again to finish off the wounded. Fifteen men survived the atrocity, only to give themselves up to other German units to serve out the war as POWs. Unlike the Le Paradis massacre, the victims of Wormhoudt were never avenged, as after the war no survivor could positively identify any of the SS soldiers involved.

Orok

Post by Orok » 06 May 2004, 13:34

panzermahn wrote:

/Marcus
i don't think Irving's book about Erhard Milch had anything to do with Jewish holocaust..If Irving is such a anti-semite as most of the people think he is, why should he bothered to write anything about a jewish field marshal of Germany
Panzermann,

Marcus did not say Irving was an anti-Semite. He just suggested that you should read more books to broaden your herizon, not limiting yourself to only a few writers whose bias have been proven. Of course you can have your own opinions and judgment, but that doesn't mean you can't read books differ from your opinions critically. I have read that you are writing a book of your own, so I really expect you could exhibit more serious scholarship.

Best Regards!

Georges M. Croisier

Karbyshev

Post by Georges M. Croisier » 06 May 2004, 23:58

Karbyshev
Dmtrii M., Lieutenant-General

(1880-1945)

1926 Teacher Frunze Military Academy
1936 Teacher Military Academy of the General Staff
1941 - 1945Prisoner of War
1945 Died in Mauthausen Concentration camp

See http://www.generals.dk and you will find many others Russians or Polish generals who were executed or disapears in concentration camps from both sides !

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 07 May 2004, 02:26

The excellent site provided by Georges M. Croisier also lists French, Italian and Hungarian general officers who were detained in German concentration camps, where they died of mistreatment. This of course does not make the alleged beating of Generalfeldmarschall Milch any less of a crime, but does add a certain perspective to the claim.

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 07 May 2004, 18:48

A bit off topic but i just read again the Eddy Bauer book World War II and it has a chapter of phographers in war written by Lionel Birch.

In a story of British war reporter Jack Esten is a mention of series of photographs taken by Esten in surrender of Japanise forces in Singapore.One pic shows a British officer kicking to a head of surrendered Japanise General.Esten didn't get a permission to publish that photo.Instead a photo showing that Japanise General lying in a ground after kicking was published.The photo showing the kicking was destroyed.

I haven't seen those photos.

Regards/Juha

WalterS

Post by WalterS » 08 May 2004, 07:49

I am in 100% agreement with Englander's post above. Well done!

If Field Marshal Milch was mistreated by British troops, such mistreatment was surely not in keeping with the rules and conduct of war. Panzermahn raises this issue in yet another lame attempt to paint the Allies as the bad guys, and to establish a moral equivalency between the acts of the Allies and the crimes of the Nazi regime. In spite of himself, however, Panzermahn's post also shows that the British Government acknowledged the offense, took responsibility for it, and offered an apology to Milch.

This forum is for the discussion of war crimes. Once again, Panzermahn has failed to show that any war crime was committed. .

Dan

Post by Dan » 08 May 2004, 14:37

So if I join the army and beat the crap out of someone who surrenders is it not a war crime? I have the book somewhere, I'll have to go check to se if it says the soldiers were punished or not. I'm waiting to see what the punishment is for our soldiers are that beat, killed and raped Iraqi prisioners over the last few months. I get the feeling that their punishment's wont be as severe as if they were done back in the States, and I get the feeling that not many Allied soldiers were punished, or punished lightly for those crimes in Germany.

Panzermahn raises this issue in yet another lame attempt to paint the Allies as the bad guys, and to establish a moral equivalency between the acts of the Allies and the crimes of the Nazi regime

Do you count the Soviets as Allies?

Dan

Post by Dan » 08 May 2004, 14:51

It starts on page 299 of my book club edition. He was arrested, taken away, then some soldiers went back and looted his valuables. Then he was blamed for the conditions of concentration camps, and a commando took his Field Marshal's baton and beat his head until the baton broke. Milch's mother saw the untreated wounds and slipped him a cyanide pill and told him to take it if they tortured him again.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”