Axis aircraft carriers Aquilla & Graf Zeppelin

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Simon Gunson

Post by Simon Gunson » 05 May 2004, 10:32

I was interested to learn recently that Aqilla had two steam catapaults.
Did Graf Zeppelin have catapaults too ?

Also how did they intend to arrest aircraft ?
I've seen a photo of a Fleischer aircraft similar to a Ju-87 stuka which had an arrester hook. Does anybody know much on the topic ?

Also what was the real reason they never put these boats to sea ?
Attachments
Ju87 catapault.jpg
Ju87 catapault.jpg (19.15 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
ju87 fold wing.jpg
ju87 fold wing.jpg (9.99 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
Graf Zeppelin carrier.jpg
Graf Zeppelin carrier.jpg (34.43 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
Last edited by Simon Gunson on 05 May 2004, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisMAg2

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 05 May 2004, 10:44

For the Graf Zeppelin:
After the loss of battle ship Bismark, the Kriegsmarine did not see any possibilitiy or was not allowed any further sea/ ocean offensive operations. With this the carrier was obselete.
This is what I understand.
Regards
Christian M. Aguilar

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 05 May 2004, 12:47

I was surprised to hear that the AQUILA was going to get steam-catapults.I thought they were a post-war British patent...did some Italians beat the Brits to it? As for the G/Zeppelin Chris is entirely right - it had no prospects after the BISMARCK episode. And - one might add, also before it - it was built as a German gesture to 'keep up with the Jones'es' - but Germany lacked the time and experience to ever turn it into a battleworthy carrier. The same goes for AQUILA.

DrG

Re: Axis aircraft carriers Aquilla & Graf Zeppelin

Post by DrG » 05 May 2004, 15:00

Simon Gunson wrote:I was interested to learn recently that Aqilla had two steam catapaults.
The Aquila had 2 compressed air catapults made by the German company Demag. Also the Sparviero (a smaller aircraft carrier under construction in 1943) had 1 catapult, but I don't know of what kind (probably a Demag too).
Also how did they intend to arrest aircraft ?
All the aircrafts (Reggiane RE 2001OR Ariete, FIAT G.50bis/OR Freccia for Italy and the Junkers Ju 87C-0 Stuka, Messerschmitt Bf 109T and Fieseler Fi 167A for Germany; in April-May 1943 Italy ordered 12 Fi 167 and a Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri elycopter, thus also them would have been used on the Aquila) had arrest hooks.
I've seen a photo of a Fleischer aircraft similar to a Ju-87 stuka which had an arrester hook. Does anybody know much on the topic ?
It was the Fieseler Fi 167A-0, a biplane with a fuselage very similar to the Ju 87.

Some links:
Italian Carriers (a detailed text about the delopement of carriers in Italy)
Drawings and photos of the Aquila:
http://digilander.libero.it/shinano/Ita ... uttivo.htm
http://digilander.libero.it/shinano/Ita ... metria.htm
http://digilander.libero.it/shinano/Ita ... grafie.htm
Drawing and photo of the Sparviero:
http://digilander.libero.it/shinano/Ita ... grafie.htm
German Naval Aviation
German Aircraft Carriers

Simon Gunson

Post by Simon Gunson » 06 May 2004, 11:57

Thanks for those links DrG. I assumed they were steam catapaults and did not think they were compressed air. Doesn't pay to assume things.

The Brits therefore solved the steam issue with two long rubber balloons I think which closed behind the steam driven shuttlecock to prevent steam pressure escaping. Yeah Varjag I was surprised and then i found the photo of a Stuka launch.

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”