How did Hitler get his tooth moustache?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Panzermahn

How did Hitler get his tooth moustache?

Post by Panzermahn » 10 May 2004, 06:28

Hi,

just want to ask that how did Hitler get his rather infamous tooth moustache?

There are rumours that he copied it from Charlie Chaplin....is this true?

MAX_theHitMan

Post by MAX_theHitMan » 10 May 2004, 11:53

It´s a quite interesting question.
Back then , in those times, it was in "style" to have that type of moustache. Adolf was not the only guy in town with "whiskers" like that.

It´s also an interesting coincidence that Charlie Chaplin was born on the same date has Adolf H. or vice-versa.
I have read in a couple of biographies on him, that he was a big fan of Charlie´s movie. At least he had good taste in movies.

Charlie Chaplin will never be duplicated... ever. He was a true comedic genious. http://members.aol.com/FenixFlyte/chaplin.html
Attachments
Great Dictator Chaplin.jpg
Great Dictator Chaplin.jpg (12.61 KiB) Viewed 11885 times

panzertruppe2001

Post by panzertruppe2001 » 10 May 2004, 18:44

There is an story about Hitler's moustaches. I suppose these kind of moustaches were fashion in the twenties because the next story that John Toland mentioned in his biography of Adolph Hitler

Early thirties. Hitler was yet a famous politician. Somebody (i suppose an image advisor) suggested him that he must change his moustaches because they were old fashioned. Hitler replied that this kind of moustaches would be fashion again because he used them

Samuel Mitcham

Moustache

Post by Samuel Mitcham » 11 May 2004, 06:55

One of the earliest Nazis was an engineer and crackpot economist named Gottfried Feder. Hitler liked Feder's theories concerning "interest slavery" and admired Feder's toothbrush moustache, so he shaved off the sides of his own moustache and the famous Hitler moustache was born. It had nothing to do with Charlie Chaplin.

Incidently, Feder fell from grace long before the Nazis took power. He had only a very minor post in the Nazi administration.

Mertsi

Post by Mertsi » 12 May 2004, 14:33

Hitler liked that type of moustache because he thought his nose was so big. Small moustache below his nose made it look a bit smaller. Find a photo of Hitler and cover his moustache with your finger and see, his nose sure looks giant, a bit like Pete Townshend's :)

I don't remember the source I read that from. Could have been Werner Maser's Adolf Hitler. But that sounds like a good theory to me. After all, Hitler knew a lot about arts and had a good eye for things like this.

regards

Mertsi

Mikko H.

Post by Mikko H. » 13 May 2004, 11:52

It´s also an interesting coincidence that Charlie Chaplin was born on the same date has Adolf H. or vice-versa.
Not quite: AH was born on 20 April 1889, CC on 16 April 1889.

BTW, another of those interesting accidents of history: philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein attended to the same school as Hitler did in Lintz in 1904-05.

Pieter Kuiper

Post by Pieter Kuiper » 15 Sep 2005, 00:53

Hitler may have modeled his hairdo based on a painting by Franz von Stuck:

Die wilde Jagd - The wild chase - 1889

British Sapper

Post by British Sapper » 15 Sep 2005, 04:51

Hitler's moustache was commented on when he was challenging for power in the Weimar Republic. He was told it was 'unfashionable', which it was in 1933.

Others like Oliver Hardy had the same style 'tache. I actually think that Ernst Roem looked very much like Oliver Hardy too.

Regarding Chaplin as a comic genius.............I thought he was rubbish. About as funny as toothache. I was interested to read that both Chaplin and Stan Laurel/Jefferson migrated on the same boat from Southampton, England, in 1910, according to the records on the NATIONAL ARCHIVES website

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

Stan Laurel never spoke to Chaplin again, after he accused Chaplin of stealing his tramp sketch.
Last edited by British Sapper on 16 Sep 2005, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

British Sapper

Post by British Sapper » 16 Sep 2005, 02:59

Pretty sure that Hitler knew about the rumours of Chaplin being jewish also, I have seen the name Thonstein 'crop up', though I have never seen any real evidence. I was rather thinking this jewish thing was circumspect until I remembered reading the fact that Charlie Chaplins body was dug up in Switzerland and re-buried by some Rabbis in the late 1970's according to the DAILY TELEGRAPH.

So would Hitler have copied Chaplin ?

(Both Chaplin and Stan Laurel were members of FRED KARNO's CIRCUS.)

British Sapper

Post by British Sapper » 17 Sep 2005, 01:19

Here is more evidence that Chaplin could well have been jewish, so again, Hitler would be very unlikely to have liked him or his moustache.

Go east along Mile End Road passing the Genesis Cinema on your left. At one stage this was known as the (13) Paragon Theatre of Varieties and among the people who performed there was the young Charlie Chaplin (he billed himself as the “Hebrew” comic) and the young Barnet Winogradowsky (later Lord Delfont).

http://www.jeecs.org.uk/walks.html

Eckart

Re: Moustache

Post by Eckart » 18 Sep 2005, 12:19

Samuel Mitcham wrote:One of the earliest Nazis was an engineer and crackpot economist named Gottfried Feder. Hitler liked Feder's theories concerning "interest slavery" and admired Feder's toothbrush moustache, so he shaved off the sides of his own moustache and the famous Hitler moustache was born. It had nothing to do with Charlie Chaplin.

Incidently, Feder fell from grace long before the Nazis took power. He had only a very minor post in the Nazi administration.
Notice that Hitler wore the little moustache long before he joined to the Party, even before he knew Feder. Hoffmmann's historical photo of the Odeonplatz taken during the day of the declaration of the 1st World War shows Hitler with the toothbrush moustache. During the first war, Hitler wore the moustache longer, probably because that kind of moustache was much used, lots of his comrades wore it and he liked to wear it too, but this is only a speculation.

Regards.

philipp0408

Post by philipp0408 » 18 Sep 2005, 13:15

In "The Rise of Evil" they showed the time when the Reds and the Nazis clashed together, ath the time when the Bolshewiks came to power in Russia. Hitlers friend said, that Hitler needs a significant symbol, whith which the people will associate with him. And so the saw some Red propagandaposter with Lenin on it. The thought, that Lenin was famous for his significantm oustache, so Hitler needs his own style. So he cut his moustache.

Dont know if this is true. Sounds a little bitt cheap propaganda.

G.

Post by G. » 19 Sep 2005, 01:25

AHs stache was a result of having to wear gas masks in WW1..The style was to have a big stache but it also made for a poor seal for mask to face,,hence the shaved off sides. , G.

Eckart

Post by Eckart » 19 Sep 2005, 01:45

Photo taken in August 2nd, 1914, before he joined the army and before he enter to the Party. Hitler wearing already the little moustache:
Attachments
Odeon.jpg
Odeon.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 10673 times

jmh8300

Post by jmh8300 » 22 Sep 2005, 00:40

Here is a very amateurish photoshop of Hitler "without" his moustache. What a huge konk!
Attachments
clean.jpg
clean.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 10539 times

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”