Help on Point 103. 12th SS/Panzer Lehr

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
martyn powell

Help on Point 103. 12th SS/Panzer Lehr

Post by martyn powell » 28 Jul 2004, 01:04

Hi All

For the past year and a bit i have been researching the 24th Lancers,which was part of the 8th Armoured Brigade in Normandy.
I am now looking for information from the German side of the fighting around Point 103.
Point 103 was an area of high ground overlooking the valley of the river Seulles,the town of Tilly-sur-Seulles and St Pierre.This area was occupied by units of the 12th SS and Panzer Lehr Divisions.
The little information i have so far is that the 12th SS might have been under the command of a Max Wunsche?.And the Panzer Lehr under a General Bayerlein?.
What i am looking for is who was in command of the 12th SS and Panzer Lehr units in this area,unit strengths,IE-Number of Tigers,Panther,Mark IV,Panzer Grenadier Regiments etc etc.
If someone can tell me what books would be the best to have with this information, or if at all possible personal accounts of fighting around Point 103.
Thank you for your help
Martyn

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 28 Jul 2004, 12:09

Hi

Have you had a look at Michael Reynold's 'Steel Inferno', for starters? That should give you a good overview of the actions of 12.SS, although not Panzerlehr.

There are also numerous websites dedicated to both of these formations, so a quick Google will help a lot.

E.g. http://www.wssob.com/ (currently offline) is probably one of the best for the Waffen-SS

martyn powell

Post by martyn powell » 28 Jul 2004, 17:11

Hi Andreas

Thank`s for the reply. "Steel Inferno" for some reason it never cross my mind, thanks
As you say the wssob.com is offline,but Frank DeLaglio`s web site has been a great help.

Thanks
Martyn

Patrice

Post by Patrice » 28 Jul 2004, 18:06

Hello.
There are some informations and pictures in" Bataille de Normandie Normandy invasion 11 juin-29 aout 1944 " Album Memorial
Edition Heimdal.
Patrice.

martyn powell

Post by martyn powell » 29 Jul 2004, 07:28

Hi Patrice

Thank`s for the reply.I will look it up

Thanks
Martyn

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”