759. Light Tank Battalion

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Lipton

759. Light Tank Battalion

Post by Lipton » 12 Aug 2004, 20:38

759. Battalion was the first U.S. unit to receive M24 Chaffee light tanks in December 1944. I would like to know a location where this unit fought (Ardennes, Rhineland?) after this date and some information about its fights. Also, can you recommend me some good book about it?

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 19 Apr 2005, 15:45

The book "Steel Victory:The Heroic Story of America's Independent Tank Battalions at War in Europe" by Harry Yeide may have some info.

Andy H

Michael Emrys

Re: 759. Light Tank Battalion

Post by Michael Emrys » 19 Apr 2005, 17:36

Lipton wrote:759. Battalion was the first U.S. unit to receive M24 Chaffee light tanks in December 1944.
Are you saying that this battalion was equipped exclusively with light tanks? If so, that would be a non-standard organization, I think. One source I am looking at states that in 1944 US tank battalions contained four companies of medium tanks and one of light tanks.

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 19 Apr 2005, 18:42

Grease_Spot wrote:
Lipton wrote:759. Battalion was the first U.S. unit to receive M24 Chaffee light tanks in December 1944.
Are you saying that this battalion was equipped exclusively with light tanks? If so, that would be a non-standard organization, I think. One source I am looking at states that in 1944 US tank battalions contained four companies of medium tanks and one of light tanks.
Sorry Grease, your source is wrong. Seperate Tank Battalions were organized under a number of different TO&E. One was the Medium Tank Battalion Seperate, originally with three Medium Tank Companies and then after July 1943 with three Medoium and one Light Tank Companies. Then there was the Light Tank Battalion, which retained three Light Tank Companies throughout. There were also Amphibious Tank Battalions, Special Tank Battalions (CDL and MX), and Airborne and Flamethrower Tank Battalions. :D

And actually it was either the 744th Light Tank Battalion or the 740th Medium Tank Battalion that first received M-24 Light Tanks, first recorded as of 2200 hours 25 December, although the 740th picked up theirs at a British depot prior to moving on Stavelot. Those may have been the first M-24 to actually see combat. In fact, it does not appear that the 759th received any M-24 prior to the end of hostilities - I can check the records further if you like.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 19 Apr 2005, 20:12

Hi Grease Spot

I dug this thread out from Aug 2004, as I was doing some housecleaning within the Forum. Lipton himself hasn't posted sine Feb 20th 2005

Andy H

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 20 Apr 2005, 06:46

RichTO90 wrote:
Grease_Spot wrote:
Sorry Grease, your source is wrong. Seperate Tank Battalions were organized under a number of different TO&E. One was the Medium Tank Battalion Seperate, originally with three Medium Tank Companies and then after July 1943 with three Medoium and one Light Tank Companies. Then there was the Light Tank Battalion, which retained three Light Tank Companies throughout. There were also Amphibious Tank Battalions, Special Tank Battalions (CDL and MX), and Airborne and Flamethrower Tank Battalions. :D

And actually it was either the 744th Light Tank Battalion or the 740th Medium Tank Battalion that first received M-24 Light Tanks, first recorded as of 2200 hours 25 December, although the 740th picked up theirs at a British depot prior to moving on Stavelot. Those may have been the first M-24 to actually see combat. In fact, it does not appear that the 759th received any M-24 prior to the end of hostilities - I can check the records further if you like.
Thanks for the correction, Rich. I strongly suspect that my source was referring only to the tank battalions organic within armored divisions, though he does not take care to make that distinction unambiguous.

Can you tell me how a light tank battalion would be employed? Would it be performing infantry support in the way that a medium tank battalion would (probably while attached to an infantry division), or would it be utilized for reconnaisance (possibly attached to a corps or army)?

RichTO90

Post by RichTO90 » 20 Apr 2005, 16:53

Grease_Spot wrote:Thanks for the correction, Rich. I strongly suspect that my source was referring only to the tank battalions organic within armored divisions, though he does not take care to make that distinction unambiguous.

Can you tell me how a light tank battalion would be employed? Would it be performing infantry support in the way that a medium tank battalion would (probably while attached to an infantry division), or would it be utilized for reconnaisance (possibly attached to a corps or army)?
That was the original intent. In effect the original concept was that the light tanks were the maneuver element and the medium tanks were the base of fire, exactly the same as in the Panzer division. Later it was seen that the medium tanks provided a better combination of firepower and protection, so they became both the maneuver element and base of fire. But the light tanks wer retained for situation in which their lightness and greater maneuverability were required. Eventually the two light battalions that remained were normally aattached to a corps and used to reinforce a mechanized cavalry group.

Harry Yeide

M24s and Light Tank Battalions

Post by Harry Yeide » 30 Apr 2005, 14:24

One more correction, gentlemen. The standard tank battalion (three medium tank companies and one light tank company) essentially superceded the medium tank battalion. A handful of light tank battalions were kept on the books; Steven Zaloga notes that the reason is obscure, and I can do no better than that. Light tank battaalions in the ETO were sometimes attached to infantry divisions for direct support a la the standard tank battalion, but because the Stuarts were of limited utility on the highly lethal battlefield, the light tank battalions tended to spend their time in corps reserve or performing security functions. The 740th Tank Battalion, as noted above, first used the M24 in combat in the Ardennes. I do not believe that the 759th Light Tank Battalion used the M24 in action.

Here is a quick squib on the 759th: Activated on 1 June 1941 at Fort Knox, Kentucky, under command of Lt. Col. Kenneth C. Althaus. Stationed in Iceland for eleven months and finally shipped to the United Kingdom in August 1943. Landed in Normandy on 16 June 1944 and was committed attached to 2d Infantry Division. From 21 August 1944 until end of the war, attached to 4th Cavalry Group. Passed through Chartres and crossed the Seine on 26 August 1944; crossed the Meuse River at Dinant and liberated Celles, Rauersim, Stavelot, and Malmedy. Entered Germany on 13 September. Ordered into the Ardennes in December. Spent early 1945 in defensive positions or out of the line. Reached Rhine River on 5 March at Zons. Captured series of obscure German towns in April, ending month in Aschersleben, where occupation duty began.

Cheers.

P.S. Here are some photos of 759th hardware, including M24s: http://www.lonesentry.com/photoalbums/S ... index.html

zipperheads9

Post by zipperheads9 » 22 Apr 2010, 11:24

This the info i have been looking for. I am involved with a museum ,we have an M24 it was aquired in 1946 with about another 2 dozzen ,they were to replace the M5 Stuarts for the Candian Forces. We were shipped 2 for test pe VE day ,but held off till post war for service.
I am trying to find what the M24's of the 740th looked like and what thier markings were . I had a look at the photo's that were posyed ,and it looks like those wre second batch or later to leave US factories as they apear to have the final drive access panels.
Any help on this wouls be apreciated . Would like to mark it yp as a WW2 Tank for special parades ,we have done up as it would have been marked here in Canada during the 1950's.
Thanks
Mark

binder001

Post by binder001 » 26 Apr 2010, 17:41

I beleive that Steve Zaloga mentions in one of his books or articles that the first dozen or so M24s had arrived in the ETO and were to go to the 744th Light Tank Battalion. At least two of these were in a depot where they were to be used to familiarize the US troops on the appearance of the new tank. Remember that the M24 looked completely unlike any other US tank in the ETO at the time. At the initiation of the Ardennes offensive the 740th was a battalion with no tanks, they raided depots and reportedly grabbed everything from M7 105mm HMCs to medium tanks intended for the British (and fitted with British radios). Part of this looting of depots were the two M24s. The tanks were rushed into combat, but as of this time I haven't heard any stories about them in combat. More M24s started to arrive in theater in January and the initial intent was to send them to the mechanized cavalry squadrons to beef up their firepower. Each squadron had a troop (company to anybody but cavalry!) of light tanks (Troop "F"). M24s also show up in the armored divisions arriving in 1945 (8th, 13th, 20th, 16th), then in older units (I have seen photos of them in 4th Armored Div).

The most common photo of an M24 in the 740th in from the Ardennes and shows a whitewashed M24. Becuase the M24 looked "different" a number of photos show them carrying the full star markings (not unlike the M18 GMCs when they first went into action), otherwise most WW2 M24s appear to be rather plain.

KLynne

Post by KLynne » 04 Apr 2011, 06:59

Hi!
I just found some photos my father took whilst in the 759th in WW2. Where would be the best place to find a roster of the troops? Does the 759th have reunions? Some of these photos have names on the back and I'd love to send a scan to the men or their descendants. Unfortunately, most of the names on the backs of the photos are first name only.
My father passed away in 1995 so I cannot ask him.
Thanks for any help!
KLynne

Tyler759

Post by Tyler759 » 04 Jun 2011, 10:03

Hi Klynne, my Father will be 87 this year and served in the 759th Light Tank Battalion. He misses the guys back in his old Battalion but sadly never knew how to keep in contact with anyone from the unit to keep in touch. I realize that there may not be many still alive who served in the 759th but please let me know if you or anyone else reading this post is interested in sharing pictures and/or information. My Father says that the hardest part of the war was not the bullets firing but rather he never knew if he would be seeing his friends the next day. It would be great to hear from anyone involved in the 759th. Tyler759

00crusader

Post by 00crusader » 07 Jun 2011, 01:38

Here's the link for Military .com that has a little info for the 759th, not much: http://unitpages.military.com/unitpages ... ?id=101898

AJCMD

Post by AJCMD » 13 Jun 2012, 02:58

I am looking for information and contact individuals about the 759th light tank battalion. My father served in the battalion and too many photos during that time. He was responsible for fixing the tanks. He and another guy named Gannon had a truck to repair the tanks. He did take photos of a town that the battalion occupied and the commanding officer had the townsfolk dig up and rebury recently kills POWs. I cannot figure out exactly what town this took place in Germany. I would be happy to share photos with anyone interested in the 759th. I know very little about the military but have lots of old photos from his service during the war.

byringnicole

Post by byringnicole » 14 Aug 2012, 01:11

Hi to the 3 previous users who posted about pictures from the 759th. I recently purchased a collection of photos and even the uniform for a John D. Chernous who servious in the 759th in WWII. I am a collector and I would love to share pictures with anyone who may have some pictures and or information from the same time J. Chernous was in the service. I got these from John's daughter just a few days ago and would love it if anyone who knew John Chernous would conact me.
Nicole
[email protected]

Return to “USA 1919-1945”