A benefit of 70. Infanterie-Division's deployment on the Walcheren and Beveland peninsulae, was the fact that the rich dairy products of the area proved to be a great asset to the diet of the 'Magenkranken'.
Concerning the soldiers with hearing problems, no doubt they were at a great disadvantage in combat: one can only imagine the troubles with issuing orders, let alone the danger of not being able to hear incoming fire.
Before its commitment in the battles for the Scheldt estuary, 70. Infanterie Division first saw action in the Ghent (Gent) area, where it fought to delay the 7th Armoured Division and later 1st Polish Armored Division, in order to allow the remains of the 15. Armee to pull back and form a bridgehead on the South bank of the Scheldt estuary.
Following overview was put together from information out of the excellent "Gent, september '44", by J-P Marchal.
On September 4th, 15. Armee ordered the 70th ID's Stab, its Infanterie-Regimenter 1018 and 1020, Füsilier- and Pionier- Bataillone along with two leichter Artillerie-Abteilungen to move from Vlissingen via Breskens to the Ghent sector ('Raum Gent').
On September 5th, IR 1018 took position South of the city, while IR 1020 slowly took up positions to its East along the Scheldt, stretching as far as Wichelen (a village between Ghent and Dendermonde).
On September 6, 15. Armee's defense lines were shifted to the Ghent-Terneuzen, Gent-Brugge and Brugge-Zeebrugge canals. IR 1018 gave up its positions South of Ghent, thereby allowing the Desert Rats to enter the city center, and redeployed to Ghent's Northern quarters. There the Gent-Terneuzen and Gent-Brugge canals are connected by another canal, called the 'Verbindingsvaart'. This canal was first crossed by 1/5th Queens on September 8th, but IR 1018 kept up a stubborn defense against the Brittish (later Polish) bridgehead till September 14th (according to Polish war diaries, elements of 3.FJ-Division fought alongside IR 1018 in the area, with about 50 Fallschirmjäger used as scouts by each infantry battalion). The rest of 70. ID was ordered on September 10th to move back to its old positions on Walcheren and Beveland. The crossing of the Scheldt estuary was carried out between September 15th and 22th via Terneuzen and Breskens. General Daser admitted having lost up to about 1/3rd of his division's strength in the Ghent bridgehead.