Germans died in the Sobibor uprising

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
marcWolf

Germans died in the Sobibor uprising

Post by marcWolf » 07 Oct 2004, 00:11

How many germans died in the Sobibor uprising really?
In several publications I found 12 names, but in others and in this forum too I found 6 more names. I think somes these german not was in Sobibor
Any help will be much appreciated.

SS Unterscharführer Josef Wolf
SS Scharführer Josef Vallaster
SS Oberscharführer Kurt-Rudolf Beckmann.
SS Rottenführer Karl Steubel
SS Unterscharführer Thomas Steffl
SS Unterscharführer Walter Ryba
SS Untersturmführer Josef Niemann
SS Unterscharführer ? Göttinger (or Getzinger)
SS Scharführer Siegfried Greischutz
SS Wachmann Josef Klat
SS Scharführer Friedrich Gaulstich
SS Wachmann Klaus Schreiber
SS Oberscharführer Maximilian Bree
SS Unterscharführer Ernst Berg
SS Hauptscharführer Erbert Helm
SS Unterscharführer Fritz Konrad
SS Oberscharführer Anton Nowak
SS Unterscharführer Erwin Stengelin

Thanks,
MarcWolf

Earldor

Re: Germans died in the Sobibor uprising

Post by Earldor » 07 Oct 2004, 13:20

marcWolf wrote: How many germans died in the Sobibor uprising really?
According to http://www.deathcamps.org 10 Germans, two Volksdeutsche and eight Ukranians, maybe more.
In several publications I found 12 names, but in others and in this forum too I found 6 more names. I think somes these german not was in Sobibor
Any help will be much appreciated.
The most authoritative source is here: http://www.deathcamps.org/sobibor/perpetrators.html
SS Rottenführer Karl Steubel
  • STEUBL, Karl SS-Scharführer
    25/10/1910 - 21/09/1945

BACKGROUND:
    Senior male nurse at Hartheim.

SERVICE AT SOBIBOR:
    Served as paymaster after Schütt has left the camp in August 1942. He was present, and most probably took part, in the execution of the last Treblinka-Jews who were sent to Sobibor after the demolition of Treblinka.

FATE:
    After the war he committed suicide in Linz (Austria).
SS Unterscharführer Walter Ryba
Ryba isn't on the list on ARC-website. I suppose your source for this is Raschke's "Escape from Sobibor". You might want to e-mail ARC and ask their opinion on him. They migh have forgotten him from the list.

Was he Volksdeutsche? I can't remember. It's been a while since I read Raschke's book.
SS Unterscharführer ? Göttinger (or Getzinger)
  • GETZINGER, Anton SS-Oberscharführer
    24/11/1910 - ?/10/1943

BACKGROUND:
    Born in Oeblarn / Austria. Described by his Ortsgruppenleiter as "a fanatical Nationalsozialist and fighter for the ideas of our Führer Adolf Hitler". Served at Hartheim.

SERVICE AT SOBIBOR:
    One of the supervisors at Camp III.

FATE:
    Killed some weeks before the revolt in the camp's Nordlager (northern camp), where Russian ammunition was stacked, by a hand grenade which he ignited himself by mistake. According to Gomerski, who was present, "he wanted to test a machine gun and took two or three hand grenades with him. We wanted to knock a pole in the ground, broke the hand grenade on top of it, and threw it away. Toni knocked it and was blown apart". In order to cover up this shame, an official NSDAP report of 9 December 1944 stated that he was murdered by bandits in Serbia and it was thus registered as "killed in action".
SS Wachmann Josef Klat
SS Wachmann Klaus Schreiber
Klat and Schreiber were Volksdeutsche and that is one source of conflicting numbers of Germans killed in the uprising.
SS Scharführer Friedrich Gaulstich
SS Unterscharführer Ernst Berg
SS Hauptscharführer Erbert Helm
Again, I think you should contact ARC to find out about these three. Let us know what you find out.

szopen

Post by szopen » 08 Oct 2004, 07:58

Their families should demand recompensations.

rappcom

Sobibor revolt survivor presently living in Ohio, U.S.A

Post by rappcom » 12 Oct 2004, 04:40

Ester Turner-Raab is a survivor and participant of the Sobibor uprising still living today in the state of Ohio in the United States. She was one of only roughly 50 (out of 300) who survived the revolt after escaping into the nearby woods, and then being hidden by nearby farmers until the end of the war.

She has led a good life since her days after the war, immigrating to America, getting married, raising a family and speaking when she can about her terrible experiences in Sobibor.

During her 9 and 1/2 month imprisonment in Sobibor, she was a seamstress mending "SS" uniforms, etc. As time passed, she was included in a possible escape plan with many other camp inmates, known today as the Sobibor uprising. During the uprising/escape, she was skimmed across the eye and forehead by a Ukranian guards bullet as she was scaling the 10 foot high barbed- wire fence, (she was then 19 yrs. old). She witnessed many scenes of cruelty by the "SS" and Ukranian guards while in Sobibor, particularily a baby that had arrived during one of the transports who was left in the boxcar crying, and consequently was picked up by it`s legs, by "Frehnzel" an SS guard, and was swung against the side of the boxcar which resulted in the smashing of it`s skull. Ester says she is still haunted by this particular memory more than any other during her life.

Now in her advanced age, with what appears to be the early onset stages of Parkinsons disease, she still has a crisp memory of that horrible time in her young life. Truly a courageous woman.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 12 Oct 2004, 05:48

Some of the Sobibor resistance fighters. Among them Leon Feldhendler (standing on the right), Yehuda Lerner (sitting on the right), Esther Raab (sitting, 2nd from right) and Zelda Metz (sitting, 3rd from left).

Is Esther TERNER Raab, not Turner

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 12 Oct 2004, 06:13

Thanks for the correction, Helly.

rappcom

Post by rappcom » 12 Oct 2004, 15:05

Helly Angel wrote:Image

Some of the Sobibor resistance fighters. Among them Leon Feldhendler (standing on the right), Yehuda Lerner (sitting on the right), Esther Raab (sitting, 2nd from right) and Zelda Metz (sitting, 3rd from left).

Is Esther TERNER Raab, not Turner
Actually, you are partially correct on the correction of her name spelling. Terner is correct, (and going by memory of my English spelling version) I typed it that way, Your version is incorrect also. The source photo you provided may have her first name spelled as Esther, but SHE actually spells her first name as Ester, (without the H). So we were both wrong, but thanks for the gesture.[/quote]

Obserwator
Banned

Post by Obserwator » 15 Oct 2004, 18:27

It is quite possible that she changed her named slightly to fit more into USA society-lot of Eastern Europeans do so when coming to USA.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”