Nazi indoctrination and German war crimes

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Obserwator
Banned

Nazi indoctrination and German war crimes

Post by Obserwator » 05 Oct 2004, 22:21

[This thread was split off by the moderator from the Wehrmacht crimes in Poland in 1939 campaign thread at:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=52090 -- DT
]

Do you judge the material produced in dictatorial Germany 1933-1945 the same way as the material produced in dicatorial eastern Europe post war
?
It is foolish and misjudged to compere the two.First of all their was no dictotorship in postwar Poland only one party rule.And it never was a severe as Nazi Germany, furthermore since 1953 the regime relaxed..As to the book it is written in a relativly loose period.As said before the censors intervened in publications not created them...
And the story doesn't seem to me farfetch in any way as the brutality of German soldiers is confirmed numerous times by witnesses to their actions-so such "performence" wouldn't be anything special or extraordinery for them.Just the usual slaughter of Poles in the name of Ubermenschen combined with the typical amusement towards mistreatement of those considered animals by their state...
As regards the POWs run over by a tank--how reliable are Polish sources circa 1964 during the Communist era?
They are extremly reliable-only when dealing with communists topics they will be manipulated.As to the atrocites commited on Poles by German Reich-100% reliable.Nobody had interested in manipulating the evidence-there was enough of it without the need to manipulate.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 06 Oct 2004, 00:05

Obserwator -- You said:
It is foolish and misjudged to compere the two.

You also said:
And the story doesn't seem to me farfetch in any way as the brutality of German soldiers is confirmed numerous times by witnesses to their actions-so such "performence" wouldn't be anything special or extraordinery for them.Just the usual slaughter of Poles in the name of Ubermenschen combined with the typical amusement towards mistreatement of those considered animals by their state...

I appreciate your recent efforts to improve. If you keep up these kind of insulting remarks, however, you'll be shown to the door. Be civil or be gone.

Obserwator
Banned

Post by Obserwator » 06 Oct 2004, 12:16

If you keep up these kind of insulting remarks, however, you'll be shown to the door. Be civil or be gone.
I am only relying on resources available to me which speak of German crimes considering that Nazi's were of German ethnicity and not all Germans who commited atrocites were members of Nazi Party.

http://www.warsawuprising.com/doc/atrocities.pdf
German Crimes Committed During the Warsaw Rising of 1944. In: German Crimes in Poland. Volume I. Published by the Central Commission for Investigation of German Crimes in Poland. Warsaw, 1946.
The witnesses of the crimes clearly use the name German in their description of offenders :
When I was driven
to the entrance in a group of twelve, I turned to
one of the officers and told him, falsely, that I
myself and my two companions were
Volksdeutsche (I speak German well). So the
German ordered us to fall back and follow him; he
led us to a German first-aid station, situated in the
neighbourhood. About 500 persons were shot in my presence
The Germans pushed us (the men) to the right
side of Chlodna Street and led us through Wolska
Street under the walls of burnt houses, treating us
all as if we were murderers, bandits and
incendiaries. They ordered us first of all to keep
our hands up. Every moment, Germans with guns
at the ready jumped at us with insults, blows and
shouts, without any reason whatsoever
The same can be said about the statements from underground resistence :
http://www.warsawuprising.com/doc/komorowski.pdf
August 1st, 1944

Soldiers of Warsaw!

Today I have issued the order you have been waiting for, the order to begin open battle
against Poland's age-old enemy, the German invader.

After nearly five years of uninterrupted and heavy fighting underground, today you will carry
your arms in the open in order to free your Country again and to render exemplary
punishment to the German criminals for the terror and crimes committed on Polish soil.

Bor
Commander-in-Chief, Home Army

Fugazi

Post by Fugazi » 06 Oct 2004, 12:55

I'm not sure whether it's a breach of ettiquette to butt in on what's really between another member and a moderator, apologies if it is but I couldn't let this pass.

Obserwator, you've posted some quotes alleging atrocities committed by Wehrmacht soldiers as though they were evidence entitling you to claim this kind of behaviour was "usual" and that amusement at this sort of behaviour was "typical". Maybe you don't appreciate the standard or amount of evidence you'd have to put forward to be able to legimately use the words "usual" or "typical" - but believe me, you haven't reached it and you won't reach it. Wouldn't it be better just to admit that using those kind of words is an insulting exaggeration?

Also, the quote calling on Poles to "render exemplary
punishment to the German criminals" with their weapons seems to me to be an incitement for Poles to carry out exactly the same kind of crimes against Germans.

Obserwator
Banned

Post by Obserwator » 06 Oct 2004, 14:08

Also, the quote calling on Poles to "render exemplary
punishment to the German criminals" with their weapons seems to me to be an incitement for Poles to carry out exactly the same kind of crimes against Germans.
You missed the part of the sentence :
criminals
Meaning all the soldiers,officers,civilan personel responsible for executions,genocide, concentration camps, murdered children, bombed cites,burned villages,raped women, murdered elites, robed homes,milions of Polish citizens murdered in the name of Ubermenschen etc.
Also this is the speach given during the fight in Warsaw agains an occupying force made up of enemy soldiers regulary conducting executions of civilans, or capturing people for slave labour not during some invasion of Germany.And this is speach given after 5years of relentless genocide against Polish people in which they they were treated and killed as animals.
Wouldn't it be better just to admit that using those kind of words is an insulting exaggeration?
Please what kind of proof is confirmation of your idea that crimes and attitude of hatred towards Polish, Jewish people was exception rather then norm in the German Reich.
PS:I agree that amusment might not by typical though .A lot of people are shocked when first murdering someone.So sorry for that.Definetly not all German soldiers were amused by atrocites they commited or were witness to.

Fugazi

Post by Fugazi » 06 Oct 2004, 15:30

Please what kind of proof is confirmation of your idea that crimes and attitude of hatred towards Polish, Jewish people was exception rather then norm in the German Reich.
Is that a serious question? OK, so I'm a wet liberal from a country with a mostly non-violent history, but I still feel like I'm on safe ground in saying that for most people in the world, an enthusiasm for murder, torture and rape is the exception rather than the norm. If the Germans of 1939 as a whole were that very different from regular-issue humans, then why? Was someone putting something in their water?

In most courts of the world, the one who has to present evidence is the accuser. All I'm saying is that it would be difficult to present sufficient evidence to justify the accusation that for the Germans, murder and torture of Poles and Jews is "usual".

As regards the quote from Bor, personally I have very strong doubts that he intended or was understood to have been recommending exemplary punishment only for those Germans guilty of crimes. But, as I've no evidence to support that gut feeling, I'd best shut up.

Obserwator
Banned

Post by Obserwator » 06 Oct 2004, 16:12

If the Germans of 1939 as a whole were that very different from regular-issue humans, then why? Was someone putting something in their water?
A question asked by many.I personaly think they were regular humans just that their culture made such willingness to obey and patricipate in atrocites possible.
You migth want to read this :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 6?v=glance
This groundbreaking international bestseller lays to rest many myths about the Holocaust: that Germans were ignorant of the mass destruction of Jews, that the killers were all SS men, and that those who slaughtered Jews did so reluctantly. Hitler's Willing Executioners provides conclusive evidence that the extermination of European Jewry engaged the energies and enthusiasm of tens of thousands of ordinary Germans. Goldhagen reconstructs the climate of "eliminationist anti-Semitism" that made Hitler's pursuit of his genocidal goals possible and the radical persecution of the Jews during the 1930s popular. Drawing on a wealth of unused archival materials, principally the testimony of the killers themselves, Goldhagen takes us into the killing fields where Germans voluntarily hunted Jews like animals, tortured them wantonly, and then posed cheerfully for snapshots with their victims. From mobile killing units, to the camps, to the death marches, Goldhagen shows how ordinary Germans, nurtured in a society where Jews were seen as unalterable evil and dangerous, willingly followed their beliefs to their logical conclusion.
I have very strong doubts that he intended or was understood to have been recommending exemplary punishment only for those Germans guilty of crimes
You do know it was in Warsaw not in Germany. As in Warsaw occupied by German forces responsible for street executions and mass catches of people for slave labour not German civilians on tourist trip.

Fugazi

Post by Fugazi » 06 Oct 2004, 16:38

I read some of Hitler's Willing Executioners, but it made me feel sick so I stopped.

Probably you can guess from my posts that I don't agree with Goldhagen. His thesis seems to be that the Germans of the time were happy to kill Jews because Germans have always been genocidal racists. Well, not only does that thesis not actually explain anything, it is in itself quite extraordinarily racist. I'm still looking for a better explanation - me and a whole bunch of other people I guess.

boobazzz

Post by boobazzz » 06 Oct 2004, 20:17

Fugazi wrote: If the Germans of 1939 as a whole were that very different from regular-issue humans, then why? Was someone putting something in their water?.
That is a very good question Fugazi, and AFAIK some hundreds of philosofers, sociologists, psychologists, historians and so on tried to answer it.

Though in my opinion the answer is very simple. Because they belived this lunatic Hitler they are Ubermench, a choosen nation, and could do anythign in the name of that. Starting from invating neighbouring countries violatng any treaties you can imagine, finishing with REGULAR genocide.

Do you know that whole stock of 'Mein campf' (firtst published in 1924, 9 years before taking power in Germany and 15 years before the outbreak of war) edition was higher than the one of Bibile in Germany?. Some millions, all of them had this book, or at least acces to it. Which in fact made Hitler very rich man.

I've read this book myself, it was published in Poland in 1991 or 1992 (with lots of controvercies btw.). Very hard to come through regarding the language, path of thought and argumentation. But what struck me is, that Hitler declared the Holocaust (though the name was of later date) very openly there. Moreover, the slavic nations were to be turned into regular slaves under strict limitation and control of population. All of this sick & crap ideology was expounded there openly.

So please, just stop joking vith this 'accidental' German attitude towards Jews and Poles. not to mention other nations like Russians.

btw. I want to make it clear: I mean Germans of nazi Germany, I do not transpond this opinion on present German nation.
Fugazi wrote:As regards the quote from Bor, personally I have very strong doubts that he intended or was understood to have been recommending exemplary punishment only for those Germans guilty of crimes. But, as I've no evidence to support that gut feeling, I'd best shut up.
Yea, better do that, as Bor-Komorowski was a chief comander of the Home Army, he NEVER gave any order on repraisals on civilian Germans. He was an officer of pre-war Polish Army, very honourable one, which in fact was admited even by Germans themselves. (to be more precise - von dem Bach) The other question is that there were not so many of civilian Germans in GG at the time. I dont count Volksdeutch roof snipers (Poles used to call them golebiarze) though, using ecrazite ammo and shoting to Polish civilians, includign children. Of cource, during the Warsaw Uprising, but this is another story.

Anyway, I want to write a small story here. I've heard it from my uncle's friend, who was at some 20s during the war. He lived in Warsaw. He told me that in the beggining of 1944 Germans were conducting sort of catch-ups at the streets of the city more often than previously. one of the looked like that: once, he was travelling by a tram. Suddenly it was stopped at the crossroads of Marszalkowska and Krolewska streets (or so, I don't remember exactly; however it was the very middle of the city). Germans rushed all of the passengers and ordered them to stand in line against the wall. Then the Germans officer started to count them. When he reached 100, he ordered the rest of the people to stand back. Then Germans brought a track along, lifted the back gate of it and opened MG fire from there, killing all those ONE HUNDRED people right at the place they stood. Then they just got to that car and left, leaving behing the bodies of the people. Uncle's friend said he was close enough to that hunderd to be just paralised by fear. And the scenes he described when the Germans left (like two grils trying to wake up their murdered father) made him hard to refrain from crying.

Horrid, really horrid things.

You can believe it or not, but this is exactly what this man told me.
And he also told me it was one of the most favourite way Germans did such things at the time. Mass execution on a catch-ups.
cheers,
b.

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 07 Oct 2004, 10:29

I personaly think they were regular humans just that their culture made such willingness to obey and patricipate in atrocites possible
My god, do you actually believe this? Thats just thinly glossed racism and if it was said toward any other National group, a swift warning would be issued from the moderator. So the Germans as a whole commited attrocties because "their culture" made them do it.

And if your gettng your opinions from Goldhagen, then its no wonder that you have such an attitude about the German's.

Really, if you want people to buy your arguement, you'll have to do a lot better.

All your arguements centre on an opinion that the Germans as a whole were just murderous atomatons hell bent on killing everything at any cost and a willingness to accept any old attrocity story, no matter how absurd.

No other mitigating circumstances.

No other reasoning.

No other parameters.

Tony

Fugazi

Post by Fugazi » 07 Oct 2004, 11:35

If the Germans of 1939 as a whole were that very different from regular-issue humans, then why? Was someone putting something in their water?
It was a rhetorical question! Obviously I don't believe for a moment that Germans of the time were in any important way different from people elsewhere in the world. My whole point is that they couldn't have been, because the world just doesn't work like that. Every society has people capable of this kind of thing within it, all they need is circumstances that permit or encourage such behaviour. I will cheerfully assume that anyone who wants to claim that all or most Germans of the nazi period were these kind of people is simply anti-German.

However, I can appreciate that people in Poland don't much enjoy having westerners from undamaged countries telling them what they should think about WW2, getting nitpicky over whether Germans did or didn't commit particular crimes and suggesting that Poles committed a few themselves. I'll make this my last post on the subject, because I'm obviously doing exactly that. Boobazz, I'm glad we're agreed this discussion doesn't imply anything about present-day Germany.

Liluh

Post by Liluh » 08 Oct 2004, 03:16

Discussion slowly drifts away, more to the question as what made Germans do what they did 60 years ago... badly stated question I`d say.

Every nation has a little button in its mutual conciousness which when pushed, let`s them do most horrible things possible. Imagine a good party which starts rolling slowly earlier in the night, just to become wild mindless fun afterwards. Everyone wake up with a big headaches, someone finds himself sleeping in the bath, other ponders about how that big crabfish landed in his pants. You can get drunk with alcohol, and you can get drunk with victory, anger, or hate. There`s nothing particulary unusual in it. A psycho-social matter. Of course, it wasn`t known to be possible on such a big scale before WWII, but we learn something new about ourselves each day. I don`t think nation matters here, not that much, it`s just necessary to unify some group of people who will feel the common embrace of brothership, that`s all. Unite them with something, tie with each other, they provide wild dreams and make them believe in it, they`ll follow you like cattle without question. Isn`t it the way our primal senses work? Cheers.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 08 Oct 2004, 04:23

For a German Army 1st Lieutenant's thoughts in 1941 Serbia see:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... ht=#550017
The shooting to death of Jews is simpler than that of gypsies. It must be admitted that the Jews accept death very calmly, they stand very quietly, while the gypsies cry, scream, and move continuously when they are already on the spot where they are to be shot to death. Some of them even jumped into the ditch before the firing and attempted to feign death.

In the beginning, my soldiers were not impressed. The second day, however, it had become noticeable that one or the other did not have the nerve to carry out shooting to death for a longer period of time. My personal impression is that one does not develop any psychological inhibitions during the shooting to death. However, these appear if one contemplates it quietly in the evening, after a few days.

[Signed] Walther, First Lieutenant

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 08 Oct 2004, 10:20

Liluh wrote:Every nation has a little button in its mutual conciousness
Sorry Liluh, but this is again, just nonsense. The Germans had no control over what their government did any more than you have control over what Leszek Miller says and does.

They did not have a say in Hitler's war aims

They did not have a say in the war's direction

They did not have a say in how the war was to prosecuted

They did not have a say in persecution of minorities

The German people were carried along by the war as much as anyone else who was involved. There was no magic "button" that was pushed and there is no such thing as a "mutual conciousness". Don't confuse the policies of the National Socialist party with the German people.

They are two VASTLY different entities.

Tony
Last edited by tonyh on 11 Oct 2004, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

menel

Post by menel » 08 Oct 2004, 17:59

tonyh wrote:
Liluh wrote:Every nation has a little button in its mutual conciousness
Sorry Liluh, but this is again, just nonsense. The Germans had no control over what their government did any more than you have control over what Leszek Miller says and does.

They did not have a say in Hitler's war aims

They did not have a say in the war's direction

They did not have a say in how the war was to prosecuted

They did have a say in persecution of minorities

The German people were carried along by the war as much as anyone else who was involved. There was no magic "button" that was pushed and there is no such thing as a "mutual conciousness". Don't confuse the policies of the National Socialist party with the German people.

They are two VASTLY different entities.

Tony
The only problem is that as long as their were winning they really liked it.
As for Leszek Miller lost his job on the 1 of may 2004.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”