"Death Dealer of Kavnas(Kovno)"

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
TREPTOW

"Death Dealer of Kavnas(Kovno)"

Post by TREPTOW » 05 Sep 2002, 17:00

I was horrified to see a picture of the so called "Death dealer of Kavnas". I am led to believe that he was a Lithuanian Nationalist, who was released from prison after the Germans "Liberated" Lithuania.
In the picture he had a long iron bar with which he decided to despatch many innocent men and women. Does anyone have any information regarding the name of the criminal and his final outcome?
Yours in hope.

Schmauser

Post by Schmauser » 05 Sep 2002, 22:49

One is reminded of the death dealing Pogroms in Kaunas, Lithuania, where men were 'selected' and beaten to death (watched by army staff, women, children and tourists who took photo-snaps of the proceedings). Such 'entertainment' became known as 'Execution Tourism'. A photographer reported: "I was confronted by the following scene: in the left corner of the yard there was a group of men..there must have been 40 or 50 of them. They were herded together and kept under guard by some civilians. The civilians were armed with rifles and wore armbands...A young man - he must have been a Lithuanian...with rolled-up sleeves was armed with an iron crowbar. He dragged out one man at a time from the group and struck him with the crowbar with one or more blows to the back of his head. Within three -quarters of an hour he had beaten to death the entire group of forty-five to fifty people in this way..After the entire group had been beaten to death, the young man put the crowbar to one side, fetched an accordion and went and stood on the mountain of corpses and played the Lithuanian national anthem...After each man had been killed women and children began to clap and when the national anthem started up they joined in singing and clapping...I took a series of photographs of the victims..." : 'Those were the Days: The Holocaust through the Eyes of the Perpetrators and Bystanders', Klee, Dressen & Riess, Hamish Hamilton, 1988.
I would like to see the picture, If anyone could post it please :wink:

~Regards Schmauser

Herr Schultze

Post by Herr Schultze » 05 Sep 2002, 23:09

I recall seeing that same photograph in the book The Good Old Days (Klee, Dressen, Riess, Free Press 1988). Unfortunately they do not say who the person was, but gave an account of the beatings that were done that day in Kaunas (June 1941).

The original German version of this book called Schöne Zeiten (Those Were the Days) was named after the caption in Kurt Franz's personal photo album. Franz was the last commandant of Treblinka.

If you have an interest in reading accounts of the Holocaust, I would suggest this book because it contains interviews, meeting minutes, diary entries and letters from actual participants in the death squads.

S,
-oops... I just reiterated what you've quoted (i guess you are faster on the SUBMIT button than me)

-hs
Last edited by Herr Schultze on 05 Sep 2002, 23:36, edited 2 times in total.

Herr Schultze

Post by Herr Schultze » 05 Sep 2002, 23:17

Schmauser,

Here is the pic...
Attachments
death dealer.jpg
death dealer.jpg (66.07 KiB) Viewed 8113 times

Schmauser

Post by Schmauser » 05 Sep 2002, 23:59

Thanks Herr Schultze!

I remember seeing it from a program called "The Nazis - A Warning from History". But it didn't give any info on actual murderer either.

~Regards Schmauser

kobold

Post by kobold » 06 Sep 2002, 03:45

I know war changes people but I cannot understand how someone could do that, and perhaps what is worse, the crowds of people watching & cheering as it went on.

disgusting.

Dave

I don't think there is any hope for the human race

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Michael Miller

Post by Michael Miller » 12 Sep 2002, 15:42

Truly horrifying, but not enough to make me give up on the human race entirely.

Most people queried would say that they have never gleefully watched a man bash the brains out of dozens of people. I for one- and many other people I know- would make an effort to STOP the man from doing it, regardless of the category of people being beaten to death (real criminals, innocent Jews, even loathsome pedophiles).

Give humanity a break- the whole human race often gets far too much flak for the actions of a few. The "Death Dealer of Kaunas", the Serb snipers of Sarajevo, the lynch mobs of the 20th Century United States, the Hutus slashing away at Tutsis- these were humanOIDs, not true humans (at least not by my standards of what constitutes humanity).

Regards,
~ Mike Miller

Dan

Post by Dan » 12 Sep 2002, 15:48

I personally have stopped beatings in Africa, often with the use of force, but in the case of paedophiles, I would stop you from stopping the beating.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 12 Sep 2002, 18:43

Dan wrote:I personally have stopped beatings in Africa, often with the use of force, but in the case of paedophiles, I would stop you from stopping the beating.
For a pedophile I wouldn't move a finger myself.

But those beaten to death by the "Death Dealer" had never harmed anyone.

Roberto

Re: Michael Miller

Post by Roberto » 12 Sep 2002, 19:23

Michael Miller wrote:Give humanity a break- the whole human race often gets far too much flak for the actions of a few. The "Death Dealer of Kaunas", the Serb snipers of Sarajevo, the lynch mobs of the 20th Century United States, the Hutus slashing away at Tutsis- these were humanOIDs, not true humans (at least not by my standards of what constitutes humanity).
With all due respect, Mike, I'd say that's taking the easy way out.

Those killers are/were as human as you and me, unfortunately.
Beware of the beast Man [...] Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport, lust, greed. Yay, he will kill his brother to possess his brother's land. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
(from the film Planet of the Apes)

atkif

Post by atkif » 12 Sep 2002, 23:28

Here I am not with you Roberto.
I do think that there is something unhuman involved.
To be more specific - the unhuman lack to feel compassion for other human beings.
These '' humans'' are only humans in their appearence. They have certain skills,they can even have some achievments (Goebbels).
But they lack the main human quality - humanity.
It makes them some sort of moral human cripples.
I think they lose the right to be called humans because what they do .

Xanthro

Post by Xanthro » 12 Sep 2002, 23:37

atkif wrote:Here I am not with you Roberto.
I do think that there is something unhuman involved.
To be more specific - the unhuman lack to feel compassion for other human beings.
These '' humans'' are only humans in their appearence. They have certain skills,they can even have some achievments (Goebbels).
But they lack the main human quality - humanity.
It makes them some sort of moral human cripples.
I think they lose the right to be called humans because what they do .
That's exactly the attitude these killers take regarding their victims. That they aren't really human.

Do you really want to place yourself in that category?

Xanthro

atkif

Post by atkif » 13 Sep 2002, 00:11

Xanthro .
Do you think that the smiling person on the above photograph can be treated as a human being ?
"The attitude these killers take'' was not caused by the actions of the victims. It resulted from their nationalities (Jews) or their views (Commies).
The actions like these (mass killings of the innocents) exclude the perpetrators from the human race. This is my belief.

Xanthro

Post by Xanthro » 13 Sep 2002, 03:32

atkif wrote:Xanthro .
Do you think that the smiling person on the above photograph can be treated as a human being ?
"The attitude these killers take'' was not caused by the actions of the victims. It resulted from their nationalities (Jews) or their views (Commies).
The actions like these (mass killings of the innocents) exclude the perpetrators from the human race. This is my belief.
Odd that you reserve to yourself the right to determine who is and who isn't to be treated as a human, and yet you argue absolute on other threads.

Rarely do mass murders explain their actions based upon the victims nationality, but do so based on what it is claimed those nationalities have done or will do.

Our murderous subject above didn't view his victims as Communists, but as people who have abused and mistreated his people. Just as you are trying to view others.

It's a dangerous slope to try and stand on, when you think you can determine who is and who isn't a human.

Xanthro

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 13 Sep 2002, 03:47

Roberto wrote:
Dan wrote:I personally have stopped beatings in Africa, often with the use of force, but in the case of paedophiles, I would stop you from stopping the beating.
For a pedophile I wouldn't move a finger myself.
How do you know that the pedophile is guilty? Mobs are not very good and determining such truths.
But those beaten to death by the "Death Dealer" had never harmed anyone.
And how do you know that?
:)

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”