CULQUALBER

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
jefelou

CULQUALBER

Post by jefelou » 01 Mar 2005, 03:50

I received a gift from a visiting Italian Police Dignitary that commemorates the 1941 battle at/of Culqualber. Where was it? Who won? Who fought? Why is it commemorated by the Italian Carabineri?
Thanks
Jefelou

FB

Re: CULQUALBER

Post by FB » 01 Mar 2005, 11:57

jefelou wrote:I received a gift from a visiting Italian Police Dignitary that commemorates the 1941 battle at/of Culqualber. Where was it? Who won? Who fought? Why is it commemorated by the Italian Carabineri?
Thanks
Jefelou
East Africa (AOI). Culqualber was the name of an area (a mountain pass) on the road that the British had to necessarily pass through in order to reach Gondar, where Gen. Guglielmo Nasi and his rmaining troops intended to make the last resistance. That place was consequently oraginzed in a stronghold and a very violent battle followed. As reinforcement to the Culqualber stronghold was sent the Primo Gruppo Carabinieri Mobilitato (1st Mobilized Carabinieri Group) that was made up of two nationals companies and one of colonial (Zaptiè) men. This was on Aug. 6, 1941.

They managed to defend the pass untill the last days of November (and during these months of day by day fightings the British really threw at them everything and anything they got, from MGs and mortars, to Arty, to bomber planes). Being without food and water from a certain point onward (the British managed to cut them out) they had to steal them from the British camps during ad-hoc sorties, very dangerous as you can imagine. At the end, without ammo and only a bunch of Carabinieri remaining alive (more or less half a dozen, IIRC), they refused the last of a very long series of surrender offers from the British and bayonet charged them. As you may understand, a part from some wounded recovered in the caves of the area, nobody survived. But one of those last bayonet chargers indeed surived the last fight: he was Carabiniere Penzo Polluto (awarded the Gold Medal for this and preceiding actions, also those of food, water and ammo procurment), who was found still alive a couple of days after the action (he was firstly believed to be dead) and taken good care of by the British who were able to save his life. He died years after the war, blind because of his wounds, and a hero for the Carabinieri and his Country.

Culqualber battle is more or less a legend here, and more so for the Carabinieri whose Battle Flag was awarded the Gold Medal for this action.

Best regards

Cosimone

Post by Cosimone » 22 Dec 2008, 20:50

Hi to everybody!
This is my first time to write something on forum. But, after having read about Culqualber, I must write. I am italian, and nephew of the commander of 240°Btg CC.NN. that fought at Culqualber and Fercaber Way. He was killed in action as last of the officers in command, at 15,30 on 21st of november, soon after the commander of Carabinieri Reali Major Serranti, awarded of Gold Medal in Memory for the actions.
I'd like to say that at Culqualber fought proudly also this Battallion, completely destroyed, except for the only one man, the Battallion Chaplain, that brought after the war to my Family the only thing remained of my grandfather: his Family ring. It is a pity that in Italy, every year is celebrated this Battle remembering only the Carabinieri as heroes of those days. I understand that the title of "CC.NN " can not be accepted by many, cause the origin from the fascism, but after 67 years it should not be better to be a little more impartial ?? Given that all of those men felt for their country and theirs creeds. Thank you for your attention.

DrG

Post by DrG » 23 Dec 2008, 00:05

Dear Cosimone,

thank you for this interesting message; I agree wholeheartly with your opinion. Moreover, the Blackshirts (CCNN), with their 10,000 KIA out of a total strength of 120,000, had proportionally much more losses than the Army, due to their more extensive use in front line and, to some extent, to their zeal not supported by a good training (anyway, the units present in East Africa were generally of a much better level than the metropolitan ones).
If you can suggest me some books about the military operations of the CCNN during WW2 I will be glad to read them.

Guido

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”