KZ guards

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Oskar

KZ guards

Post by Oskar » 28 Mar 2002, 01:38

Hi all:

I was wondering if the KZ guards were under strict orders not to talk about what went on inside the walls (fences) they guarded. If the German regime was doing everything possible to keep it on a low key, it seems only logical that the primary witnesses to this policy would be kept on a tight leash.

Thanks,

Oskar

Hans

Re: KZ guards

Post by Hans » 28 Mar 2002, 02:38

Oskar,

the SS men in AUSCHWITZ who were involved in the extermination of people had to sign the following "duty note":

1.) I am aware, and I was today reminded of the fact, that I will be punished with death, if I steal for myself Jewish property of any kind.

2.) Most importantly, I will maintain unconditional secrecy during the measures to carry out the Jewish evacuation, and also vis-à-vis my comrades.

3.) I pledge myself to commit my entire person and my capacity for work toward the swift and smooth execution of these measures.
Nevertheless information was brought outside the camp by SS men. In one known case a SS man, his name was Damm, was punished (or just admonished, I don't remmeber exactly) by the Auschwitz commandant Höss, because he spoke with members of the Wehrmacht about the "solution of the Jewish question in Auschwitz".

Höss himself stated in his memoirs that they were heavily punishing offences against the duty note, however he admits that they couldn't stop that information about the crimes in Auschwitz were leaving the camp. SS men were spreading the truth about Auschwitz when they sat drunken in in the bars in towns around Auschwitz or when they were sent away for holidays or to the front.
Some SS men of lower rank have said after the war, they feared to be the last victims of the extermination in Auschwitz. As Geheimnisträger, who knew about the secrets of Auschwitz, they believed they'll be sent into the gas chambers finally.

However, the SS men were the smallest problem. The biggest problem for the secrets of Auschwitz were the numerous civil workers in Auschwitz, the members of the police who accompanied the Jewish transports to Auschwitz, the stuff of the trains and the communist and polish resistance in Auschwitz. The latter sent so much information outside that they were able to publish a book about Auschwitz, named "The death factory", I think. The RSHA sent a copy of this book to the Auschwitz SS with the request for a comment ("mit der Bitte um Stellungsnahme"). Himmler was furious why so much secrets could left Auschwitz.

Hans

Oskar

Post by Oskar » 29 Mar 2002, 00:37

Thank you Hans:

That was a very interesting reply. I know that serving in the Kz's was voluntary, but how did the government recruit SS personnel to work in them. Considering it was something they wanted to keep secret, this is not the sort of job you adverties by placing flyers on the walls?

Also, I was wondering, how many of the guards in the camps (and SS personnel ingeneral), had no problems withg what they did or saw (and took it as "business as usual"), and how many had real problems with it? How did the SS deal with soldiers who had problems with that kind of work (be it physical, mental, psychological, or other)?

Thanks again,

Oskar

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”