Albaniam fleet in Italy

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
patrynius

Albaniam fleet in Italy

Post by patrynius » 11 Apr 2005, 11:19

Hi
I had some information that Albanian fleet (4 cutters or what - Tirane, Durres, Saranda and Vlore) were captured by Italian fleet. Does anybody know anything about that ships?? 46BRT 17 knots, 1*76mm 2*7.62mmAA.

DrG

Post by DrG » 11 Apr 2005, 15:42

Well, this question catches me completely unprepared... :oops:
Bagnasco & Cernuschi in their "Le navi da guerra italiane 1940-1945" don't list those ships, even though that book lists really every single ship in the Italian Navy, even the smallest ones. There is a Durazzo (Italian name of Durres), but it was an Italian minelayer built well before the occupation of Albania.
Even Crociani's "Gli albanesi nelle forze armate italiane (1939-1943)" doesn't mention Albanian ships, but the space he devotes to the Albanian navy is admittedly extremely short (a mere half-page out of 392). Moreover he tells openly that "In 1939, at the moment of the Italian landing, Albania hadn't ships nor war airplanes. The Navy was limited to port commands, included into the organization of the Army; [...]" (page 161).
Sorry if I wasn't able to help you. :(
By the way, where did you get your interesting info, please?

Lupo Solitario

Post by Lupo Solitario » 11 Apr 2005, 17:21

Nothing. I got only a data about the albanian "royal yacht" of King Zog which had been incorporated in Italian Navy in 1939 but no more.

I wonder if those units could have been incorporated in a service other than Italian Navy...

patrynius

Post by patrynius » 11 Apr 2005, 19:19

Hi
Thanks for replies. I'm not sure if this is true information. I find it ONLY on ONE Polish website http://www.jurek.com.pl/bron2ws/index2. ... af23efc5ed there.
I check it on http://www.regiamarina.net and on http://www.comandosupremo.com (By The Way Lupo, You have great website there) and there is no confirmation of this information. Only about Royal Yacht about which Lupo mentioned.

Those 4 ships were commisioned in SVAN shipyard, Venezia - 1926
07.04.39 captured by Italians
They were sailing "under Italian flag" (maybe not as "warship"??)
Two of them survived hole war, and in 47 returned to Albania.

And I'm only searching :)

:)
Well, this question catches me completely unprepared... Embarassed
I loooove giving that question :)

Best regards

DrG

Post by DrG » 12 Apr 2005, 14:00

Thank you Patrynius. :)
I've searched again, but without results. Those ships are too slow to be MAS (at first, given the producer, SVAN, I thought about that type of ship), but their displacement is really small. The only ships that very distantly could resemble them were the two small minesweepers of the "Vigilante" class: 70 tons, 12 knots, one 76mm and three machinegus. But they were still larger and were built by the CRDA shipyards for the Regia Marina in 1937-38. By the way, a little curiosity: the Vigilante was transported to the Ochrida lake, between Albania and Bulgaria (only with the borders of 1941-1944, of course; moreover, Bulgaria got a part of the coast of that lake because of the presence of an Ortodox monastry in that area, that thus shouldn't have been under the control of a Muslim state as Albania according to Bulgarian diplomats), and served there, also in some anti-partizan duties; it was scuttled after the armistice of 8 Sept. 1943.

patrynius

Post by patrynius » 17 Apr 2005, 11:44

Hello dear friends :)
Yes I have the same line of thoughts, to slow to MAS,, I search in minesweepers (BTW I didn't know that they were river minesweepers), and I thought it could be this.. but too big
I try to contact with owner of this site that I mentione as a source, but there nobody answer

So as Lupo said
I wonder if those units could have been incorporated in a service other than Italian Navy..
Maybe never on the navy list

Once again thank you and I'm searchin :)

DrG

Post by DrG » 17 Apr 2005, 16:14

Patrynius, I think there has been a little misunderstanding: the Vigilante were not riverine minesweepers, but they were designed to be used in the coastal seas. Once it became clear that they weren't much useful in that task, one was transported to the Ochrida lake and used as gunboat.

Tiornu

Post by Tiornu » 02 May 2005, 11:27

It's possible the Tiranes were assigned to the customs service rather than the navy. This might explain their absence from navy lists.

Lupo Solitario

Post by Lupo Solitario » 02 May 2005, 15:27

Tiornu wrote:It's possible the Tiranes were assigned to the customs service rather than the navy. This might explain their absence from navy lists.
it was my hypothesis...

gotenhafen

Post by gotenhafen » 08 Jan 2007, 05:54

In Albanian website I digged info, that two first vessels of navy after WW2 were ex-Italian boats MS-10 and MS-12. It could be those two - may be this data helps?

By the way, I also suppose they were handed to e.g. Customs, not RM.

http://worldnavies.glt.pl/

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”