POW Camps in the Middle East

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
e.polis

POW Camps in the Middle East

Post by e.polis » 18 May 2005, 23:57

Has anyone a complete or incomplete list of the locations and capacity of Allied POW camps in the Middle East. Were the Germans and Italians mixed or were they separated.

zaptiè

Post by zaptiè » 08 Jun 2005, 09:43

i only know that was a pow camp in Kartum (Sudan) for italian colonial troops with an hospital with italian medical staff ( medical officiers pow from East Africa ) . My uncle was here , medical officier of Pai , Pow after Amba Alagi battle was in Kartum until june 1943 then return in Italy via Istambul by excange of pow ( medical Officiers ) where more than 400 , my uncle remember well this because his surname was Zorzoli and was the last of the list .

JonS

Post by JonS » 08 Jun 2005, 10:19

Not really M.E., but a wee anecdote nonetheless :)

My grandfather (Lt RNZNVR, radar) was stationed on Ceylon as an FDO during the war, and I have an aluminium cigarette case and lighter dated 1945 made by an Italian POW there for him out of parts from the wreck of a Hurricane. The engraving on them is quite exquisite. Anyway, he was based at RNAS Katukurunda, so presumably there was a POW camp nearby there.

Oasis

Post by Oasis » 16 Jul 2006, 09:42

The old memory of an italian POW just remembers Ismailia, Suez and Camp 306 (PAlestine?).

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 Jul 2006, 11:18

The old memory of an italian POW just remembers Ismailia, Suez and Camp 306 (PAlestine?).
Bitter Lakes district/Abu Sueir
RAF Coy/ Egypt

http://www.kriegsgefangen.de/

http://home.arcor.de/kriegsgefangene/gr ... egypt.html

UMachine

POW camps in the Mideast

Post by UMachine » 16 Jul 2006, 19:09

At Heluan,pows were separated by barbed wire,Germans and Italians could talk.The old guy said the Germans "got it worse".

Oasis

Post by Oasis » 17 Jul 2006, 09:02

Thanks Annelie and UMachine
my father was in 306, now I know it was Fayid/Bitter Lake.

About italian POW a good site for informations:

http://digilander.libero.it/avantisavoi ... Bardia.htm - scroll to : Prigioniero

patrick13

Re: POW Camps in the Middle East

Post by patrick13 » 27 Jul 2008, 17:27

I do not know whether this subject is dead but here goes anyway.

I was in temporary command of the repatriation wing of 305 POW camp in Fayid for six weeks in May 1947. All POW camps had been amalgamated into 305. If any interest, I should be happy to answer any questions -- have some photos somewhere. Patrick: [email protected]

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 27 Jul 2008, 18:00

Patrick13,

Welcome to the forum. Very happy to see someone whom actually can tell of their own experience at the time.

My Father was one of the last to leave,. 01.09.1948 Not that it is possible that you would have known of him but
his name was Gert Engelmann from Berlin, was in the Marineartillerieabteilung 520 Kreta. From what I understand
from looking at his POW photo that it was possible that he was a cook?

Any stories you could tell would be most interesting.

Not only I would think it was difficult for the POW's but also the English that were in command there.
Conditions must have been harsh?

Oasis

Post by Oasis » 28 Jul 2008, 07:20

Hi Patrick13
Welcome

My father was POW in 306 but only in 1942 for a short period before being sent to India-Yol.
Have you access to any register of POWs or other info good for 1942 too?

Best regards

Toni

patrick13

Post by patrick13 » 30 Jul 2008, 18:32

Actually, lookingthrough my files, I see that the consolidated camp was numbered 380. You can see inforntion about it with photos by going: Google -- 380 POW camp Fayid -- Egypt.

The commandant shown is Colonel A. Shipley. A charming, artistic, kind and sympathetic gentleman. He had scores of letters from past prisoners thanking him for his kindness which are now deposited at the National Archives.

There is not much I can add to the information on the web. I was a Staff Captain at General Headquarters, Middle East and was temporary assigned to be in charge of the repatriation wing of the camp. The major who was normally in command had been rushed to hospital with something or another I was only there for six weeks during May-June 1947 but I visited the staff until I left Egypt in December of that year. They had a fine orchestra with many ex-members of the Berlin Philharmonic and the mess food was out of this world as the head cook was supposedly (and I could believe!) the Chef in the transatlantic liner, the Bremen. I see that you say that you father was a cook -- perhaps he was in mess kitchen?

I see also that your father was, by his unit designation, was in Crete. I was particularly friendly with one German major who had been on Crete and had married a Cretan girl. I had spent some time in Crete in mid-1946.

If there are any specific questions you would like to ask, please let me know. I would dearly like to contact any of the German prisoners. Not many would be alive by now. Patrick (I live in Minnesota)

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 10 Aug 2008, 23:33

Hello Patrick,

Thought perhaps I would post a POW photo in hopes you would recognize anyone?
As you can see there are a number of cooks/chefs.

best,
Annelie
Attachments
Father 001.jpg
Father 001.jpg (46.22 KiB) Viewed 31311 times

patrick13

Post by patrick13 » 12 Aug 2008, 18:00

Annelie, Thank you -- most interesting. Unfortunately, I do not recognize any of those men. They all look very fit and well fed! Life in the camp was rather boring for the prisoners but they could move outside the camp for where could they go? There was plenty of sporting activities and they had their own beach by the Bitter Lake. The camp was completely run by the Germans and the British had very few of their men there -- except for the transport section. In the repatriation wing, I and a senior NCO were the only British personnel. A Major-General reported to me every morning and I went on a tour of inspection with him. All the administrative staff were German and were mostly officers -- there were about ten Captains and Majors typing the ship's manifests and other documents. There was barbed wire round the camp but that was to stop the thieving Arabs from getting in! German soldiers with wooden clubs patrolled the perimeter of the camp, especially at night, and called for the on duty British guard, if necessary. Most of them worked on various projects and were paid a small wage for doing so -- 1500 stayed behind in the Canal Zone when repatriation was completed.

I was later given a special commendation for administrating the camp so smoothly during my six weeks at the camp but frankly I did nothing; the Germans ran it all!

Did you manage to find the 380 photos on the web? I would be interested to see any other photos that you might have. I have a photo of me taken in the camp that I shall find and place it in the forum. Patrick

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 12 Aug 2008, 22:18

I booked marked the site and now I cannot find it, but I will. In the meanwhile do you recognize anyone here

http://britains-smallwars.com/Canal/the ... w/tan.html

hmm, I see the site has changed and no longer am I able to access, I will keep looking for their new address.
Attachments
Egipto%201.jpg
Egipto%201.jpg (41.2 KiB) Viewed 31255 times

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 12 Aug 2008, 22:20

One I saved from elsewhere
Attachments
Egipto%202.jpg
Egypt
Egipto%202.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 31249 times

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”