Bir-El-Gobi Postcard

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
JLEES

Bir-El-Gobi Postcard

Post by JLEES » 18 Sep 2002, 19:25

Hello,
I've just translated an Italian WWII postcard (cancelled January 1941) which states, Giovani fascisti eroi di-el-Gobi or Young fascists at Bir-El-Gobi. An image of the card has also been supplied for everyone's inspection. Does anyone know where this combat action took place, what Italian units were involved and what happened? I'm assuming it was during the failed 1940-41 advance into Egypt, but was it Ethiopia? It's a Geno Boccasile card and the image is dramatic and fantastic (typical of Italian artists).
Thanks,
James
Attachments
forum2.jpg
forum2.jpg (122.89 KiB) Viewed 1541 times

Lupo Solitario

Post by Lupo Solitario » 18 Sep 2002, 22:30

ciao James....brief: the card refers to the second battle of Bir-el-Gobi, a road cross south of Tobruk where italian and british forces two times during Crusader (November/December 1941).
In the second battle (I don't remember exact date, sorry) the Reggimento Giovani Fascisti substained and rejected the clash of a British armored force.
The Giovani Fascisti (GG.FF.) Regiment was formed in 1940 by two battalions of university student volunteers chosen between fascist universitary organization. It was anyway a unit of Regular Army and not of MVSN.
The regiment was committed to North Africa in summer 1941 and included into the Manouver Corps Recon Group with which fought in Crusader.
In 1942, it should have been organized to upgrade to an Armored Division but never received one tank. Anyway GGFF division continued to fight unitl last surrender in Tunisia

at your dispo

Lupo

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 18 Sep 2002, 22:36

Lupo Solitario wrote:In 1942, it should have been organized to upgrade to an Armored Division but never received one tank. Anyway GGFF division continued to fight unitl last surrender in Tunisia
I guess that postcard shows them attempting to acquire one by their own means.

Logan Hartke

JLEES

Great Information

Post by JLEES » 18 Sep 2002, 22:49

Lupo,
You're a power house of information on the Italian Army. Many thanks again. I hope you like the card.
James

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”