Ingo Petersson, who is this guy?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
trollelite

Ingo Petersson, who is this guy?

Post by trollelite » 20 Jun 2005, 04:52

I find his books all VERY expensive on ebay, but cannot find why. Neither speical title (all about some SS war stories, even war dog) nor very long (about 200-500 pages), just look like ordinary war novels. I just have some curiosity.

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 20 Jun 2005, 06:33

Ingo Petersson is really Fritjof Elmo Porsch, a veteran of SS-Penal units. I have never been able to sort out his real lifestory. He was at Narva in early 1944 in some capacity, and was with (perhaps commanded, or maybe only said he did) the Dora II special company attached to the 36. Waffen-Grenadier Division "Dirlewanger" in the last weeks of the war. He won the German Cross in Gold at some point, perhaps won the Knight's Cross, and certainly had an active imagination when writing his books in the 1950's. They were kept in print as recently as the 1990's by Nation Europa in Germany (and possibly even more recently, or are still in print, check http://www.nationeuropa.de), so I don't think they are so rare as to command premium prices, though of course e-bayers are welcome to see how much they can obtain for them.

freiwillige

Post by freiwillige » 20 Jun 2005, 08:40

Hi,

I purchased the french edition of the "Batallion 500" some time ago, and it was of Sven Hassel style... :(
The PPsh-41 submachine guns were called "kalashnikov" (!!!!!!) in the book... an strange thing on a man who fight in the Eastern Front...
8O

Mark: The "Dora-II" existed really? The unit was attached to the Dirlewanger Div.?

Regards,
Ferran

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 20 Jun 2005, 20:01

It is commonly accepted that Dora II really existed, for example James Lucas wrote about it in his War on the Eastern Front book. But, that doesn't mean that Dora II truly existed. I don't know know the truth of this, but it is certain that Petersson saw heavy combat somewhere, and was highly decorated. I imagine some German investigator will sort a lot of this out eventually.

trollelite

Post by trollelite » 20 Jun 2005, 20:21

I don't know why, but deal price of his books seemed seldom lesser than 50 Euro or so, while most war novels ( I mean novels) never got a chance going beyond 2 or 3 Euro. Indeed a very strange thing.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”