Salerno no big deal?

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
WOLF1

Salerno no big deal?

Post by WOLF1 » 24 Jun 2005, 19:34

I have often wondered why the invasion of Italy in 43 (Salerno) with often brushed under the carpet so to speak.
It was the first American troops to set foot on the European Continent ( besides a handful of US Rangers with the Canadians at Dieppe). These events are always overshadowed by D-Day and often overlooked in the media and in print. I am aware that the operation was an appeasement to Stalin to ease the pressure off the eastern front by tying up German divisions in Italy, but a lot of good men died during this invasion and it perplexes me why no press? My father was there with the 36th Texas division so maybe I’m a little one sided on the matter.

Any thoughts?

Wolf1

Michael Emrys

Re: Salerno no big deal?

Post by Michael Emrys » 25 Jun 2005, 00:10

WOLF1 wrote:I am aware that the operation was an appeasement to Stalin to ease the pressure off the eastern front by tying up German divisions in Italy...
Not precisely. That was a selling point, but the main reason was to consolidate Italy's surrender and removal from the Axis.

As to the amount of attention it has received...well, I don't know. There are tons of books on the subject of the Italian campaign, probably as many per Allied division as on the ETO. But the ETO was a much bigger deal. There were far greater forces there, and that was the decisive theater. Germany was not going to be defeated by an offensive coming via Italy. That of necessity had to come through NW Europe.

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”