Help Needed! Informations about my Grandpa Fritz Klingenberg

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Nekro

Help Needed! Informations about my Grandpa Fritz Klingenberg

Post by Nekro » 19 Jul 2005, 18:08

I dont know if i am right here, but i need some help!!

Born: December 17th, 1912 in Rövershagen, Meckelenberg
Killed: March 22nd, 1945 near Herxheim, Palz
Iron Cross 2nd Class: June 23, 1940
Iron Cross 1st Class: June 24, 1940
Knights Cross: May 14th, 1941

Fritz Klingenberg joined SS-VT in 1934 and soon after was promoted to SS-Untersturmführer as one of the first graduates of the new SS-Junkerschule at Bad Tölz. After his graduation he was assigned to SS-Standarte "Germania". It was not long after his assignment to "Germania" that Klingenberg became part of the inspectors of the SS-VT under Paul Hausser. After the campaigns in the Low Countries, Klingenberg commanded a motorcycle battalion and it was during this command that he would become "famous" for the capture of Belgrade during operations in Yugolsavia. Click HERE to read an account of this action. Klingenberg lead the 2nd Kompanie, SS-Kradschützen-Battalion 2 until 1942 when he transferred to the staff of the SS-Junkerschule at Bad Tölz. In January 1945, Klingenberg assumed command of the 17th SS-Panzer Grenadier Division "Götz von Berlichingen". He was killed near Herxheim leading this division.

SS Hauptsturmführer Fritz Klingenberg

On the morning of April 12th, 1941, SS Haupsturmführer Fritz Klingenberg and members of his motorcycle assualt company approached Belgrade from Pancevo along the bank of the Danube river. Klingenberg was anxious to enter the city but the swollen river and lack of any usable bridges prevented a direct assault, and the motorcycle assault company had no bridging equipment or rafts. Klingenberg's men discovered a motor launch on the north bank of the river. With one of his platoon leaders, two sergeants and five privates, Klingenberg crossed the Danube. When the group had reached the other side, Klingenberg sent two men back for reinforcements and proceeded with the remaining six men into downtown Belgrade. Soon after entering the city, Klingenberg encountered a group of twenty Yugoslavian soldiers and without firing a shot the Yugoslavs surrendered. Later on, a group of military vehicles approached Klingenberg's men, and after a short battle, the Germans captured the vehicles. The assault group (now motorized!) headed towards the Yugoslavian War Ministry, but when they arrived the building had been abandoned, probably vacated during the Luftwaffe's attack on the city. Since there was no military command left in Belgrade, Klingenberg proceeded to the German embassy which had remained open in Belgrade. The Germans unfurled a large swastika and raised it over the embassy to declare the capture of the city. Two hours later, the mayor of Belgrade arrived at the embassy and surrendered the city to Klingenberg. It was not until the next day that a sizeable German force arrived to secure the city. For capturing Belgrade, SS Haupsturmführer Fritz Klingenberg was awarded the Knight's Cross.

my question is: i need more facts about him, what he did before the battles and all the stuff! cause i am not 100% sure if he is my grandpa! i only have his 2 iron crosses and his knights cross left. no 1 knows exactly what he did, no friends of him are alive, and my grandma never spoke about him. the death was 64 when my mommy was 12 so she doesnt know anything too!

for anyhelp i am very thankfull!!

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 19 Jul 2005, 18:15

I have quite a lot of data on SS-Standartenführer Fritz Klingenberg, but before I get to that you may be interested to know that a document in his SS file, dated 31.12.1943, states that he was unmarried with no children. I don't know if he was a lifelong bachelor, but there is nothing in his file to indicate otherwise.

Best wishes,
~ Mike Miller

Nekro

Post by Nekro » 19 Jul 2005, 18:18

Michael Miller wrote:I have quite a lot of data on SS-Standartenführer Fritz Klingenberg, but before I get to that you may be interested to know that a document in his SS file, dated 31.12.1943, states that he was unmarried with no children. I don't know if he was a lifelong bachelor, but there is nothing in his file to indicate otherwise.

Best wishes,
~ Mike Miller
thank you alot!! well as i know after the war he married my grandma my oldest uncle was born 47 my mum 53!
you know if he really died in that battle? or did he just drop his documents?

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 19 Jul 2005, 18:40

Klingenberg was definitely killed in action / did not survive the war.

~ Mike

Nekro

Post by Nekro » 19 Jul 2005, 18:42

thank youa lot!!

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 19 Jul 2005, 18:43

Further information may be found at http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche/co ... 7F2C9EFEB6 (which gives his date of death as 25.03.1945 - I think most sources state 22.03.1945).

~ Mike

Nekro

Post by Nekro » 19 Jul 2005, 18:47

Michael Miller wrote:Further information may be found at http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche/co ... 7F2C9EFEB6 (which gives his date of death as 25.03.1945 - I think most sources state 22.03.1945).

~ Mike
ok now i am 100000% sure that he isnt my grandpa! cause his grave is in andilly /france

waffen-IDF

Poor Nekro

Post by waffen-IDF » 19 Jul 2005, 20:33

Hi Nekro,

Can you please explain in full detail on how you came to believe he was your grandpa?
He was and is a well known figure in the waffen-ss and public record showed he died in 1945 of wound. Sorry you are dissappointed, but I think your had your leg pulled.

Balsi

Post by Balsi » 25 Jul 2005, 20:54

Hi,

I thought Klingenberg received the rank of an SS-Oberführer. Right?

Thanks... Balsi

Andreas Schulz

Post by Andreas Schulz » 25 Jul 2005, 21:58

Balsi wrote:Hi,

I thought Klingenberg received the rank of an SS-Oberführer. Right?

Thanks... Balsi
Hi Balsi,

no, his last rank was SS-Standartenführer.

AnDie

stcamp
In memoriam

Re: Poor Nekro

Post by stcamp » 26 Jul 2005, 15:06

waffen-IDF wrote:Hi Nekro,

Can you please explain in full detail on how you came to believe he was your grandpa?
He was and is a well known figure in the waffen-ss and public record showed he died in 1945 of wound. Sorry you are dissappointed, but I think your had your leg pulled.
Perhaps lebensborn????

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”