11th Brennero Infantry Division

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Yanna

11th Brennero Infantry Division

Post by Yanna » 02 Aug 2005, 11:04

Hi,

I am starting some research on the Italian occupation of Athens 1941-1943.

I understand that the 11th Brennero Infantry Division occupied Athens from 1941 but that they had moved to Albania by September 1943.

I wondered whether anyone knew when it was that this division left Athens?

Regards,

Yanna

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 02 Aug 2005, 16:00

A "quickie" reference says:

11th "Brennaro" Infantry Division
Dec 40: transferred to Albania where it fought until May 41 and then became part of the occupation force.
Jul 42: elements withdrawn to reinforce the Italian garrison at Durrazo, the rest of the Division remained in Epirus.
Sep 43: the commander and most of the Division chose to stay on the German side.
Oct 43: the Division was broken into a number of anti-partisan formations, perhaps to augment the German 11. Luftwaffen-Felddivision.

[Source: MADEJ, W. Victor. Italian Army Order of Battle: 1940-44. Allentown: Valor Publishing, 1990.]

Regarding your research, please tell me that you are not trying to do this all on the internet. Please tell me that you plan on going to a good library (or libraries) and use the many Greek, Italian, German and English language books on the subject. And please also tell me that you intend to obtain the Heeresgruppe E and Italian 11th Army microfilm records so you can examine the primary documentation. Please.

FB

Post by FB » 02 Aug 2005, 17:23

Larry D. wrote:
A "quickie" reference says:

11th "Brennaro" Infantry Division
Dec 40: transferred to Albania where it fought until May 41 and then became part of the occupation force.
Jul 42: elements withdrawn to reinforce the Italian garrison at Durrazo, the rest of the Division remained in Epirus.
Sep 43: the commander and most of the Division chose to stay on the German side.
Oct 43: the Division was broken into a number of anti-partisan formations, perhaps to augment the German 11. Luftwaffen-Felddivision.

[Source: MADEJ, W. Victor. Italian Army Order of Battle: 1940-44. Allentown: Valor Publishing, 1990.]

Regarding your research, please tell me that you are not trying to do this all on the internet. Please tell me that you plan on going to a good library (or libraries) and use the many Greek, Italian, German and English language books on the subject. And please also tell me that you intend to obtain the Heeresgruppe E and Italian 11th Army microfilm records so you can examine the primary documentation. Please.
The Commander (General Princivalle), part of the Staff of Brennero Division and the bulk of a Granatieri Company that was sent to Bulgaria for the King's funeral, were the first nucleus around which later the San Marco Infantry Division (RSI) will born.

Best regards

Yanna

Post by Yanna » 03 Aug 2005, 09:48

Thanks for the information.

Its really useful stuff - pointing me in the right direction!

Yanna

tigre

Re: 11th Brennero Infantry Division

Post by tigre » 03 Nov 2012, 17:01

Hello to all :D; some photos showing the division in Athens.................

Siegesparade!................

Source: http://www.photo-war.com/eng/archives/listalbum31.htm

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
Attachments
image037.jpg
image037.jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 899 times
image039.jpg
image039.jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 899 times
image041.jpg
image041.jpg (27.73 KiB) Viewed 899 times

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”