Swiss citizens in Waffen SS

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
leooel

Swiss citizens in Waffen SS

Post by leooel » 02 Aug 2005, 19:41

How many Swiss were in the Waffen SS. I have read that there were 400 and 4400 at different times. I have been able to find anything authoratative. Also were they in a unit named either for Wilhelm Gustloff or Wilhelm Tell?

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 03 Aug 2005, 07:02

Almost all of my information on the subject comes from the book "...Solte Ich aus Russland nicht Zurückkeheren..." by Vincenz Oertle, published by Thesis Verlag in Zurich in 1997. This is a highly detailed study of the Swiss volunteers in the German military, and Oertle reached a figure of something like 800 Swiss in the Waffen-SS. They served in a variety of units, with the largest number, over 200, serving in the 6. SS-Gebirgs Div. Nord. Several Swiss who received officer training served with the III. (germanisches) SS-Panzerkorps. While most Swiss in the Waffen-SS were German-speakers, some French-speakers served with the French Waffen-SS, and some Italian-speakers served as translators with the Italian Waffen-SS.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”