Waffen SS Oath

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Kameraden

Waffen SS Oath

Post by Kameraden » 21 Oct 2005, 11:35

Was the Waffen-SS oath the same as the other branches of the Wehrmacht?

Thanx

Warager

Post by Warager » 21 Oct 2005, 16:53

It was different it was something like this

I swear to thee Adolf Hitler
as fuhrer and chancellor of the german reich
loyalty and brevery
i vow to thee and to the superiors whom thou
shalt apoint
obedience unto death
so help me god

Serbian boy

Post by Serbian boy » 21 Oct 2005, 22:32

Loyalty oaths of the foreign volunteers

by D. Löwenhamn

Germanische Freiwillige der Waffen-SS, 1940

"Ich schwöre Dir, Adolf Hitler, als germanischer Führer Treue und Tapferkeit. Ich gelobe Dir und den von Dir bestimmten Vorgesetzen Gehorsam bis den Tod, so wahr mir Gott helfe."

The word "germanische" was removed in 1941.

Legionäre der Waffen-SS

"Ich schwöre bei Gott diesen heiligen Eid, dass ich im Kampf gegen den Bolschewischmus dem Obersten Befehlshaber der Deutschen Wehrmacht, Adolf Hitler, unbedingten Gehorsam leisten und als tapferer Soldat bereit sein will, jederzeit für diesen Eid mein Leben einzusetzen."

13. Waffen-Gebirgs-Division der SS Handschar (kroatische Nr. 1)

"Ich schwöre dem Führer, Adolf Hitler, als Oberstem Befehlshaber der Deutschen Wehrmacht Treue und Tapferkeit. Ich gelobe dem Führer und den von ihm bestimmten Vorgesetzen Gehorsam bis den Tod. Ich schwöre zu Gott dem Allmächtigen, dass ich dem kroatischen Staat und dessen bevollmächtigtem Vertreter, dem Poglavnik, stets treu sein, die Interessen des kroatischen Volkes stets hüten und die Verfassung und die Gesetze des kroatischen Volkes immer achten werde."

Italienische Waffen-SS

"Ich schwöre bei Gott diesen heiligen Eid, dass ich dem Kampfe für mein italienisches Vaterland gegen seine Feinde dem Obersten Befehlshaber der Deutschen Wehrmacht, Adolf Hitler, unbedingten Gehorsam leisten und als tapferer Soldat bereit sein will, jederzeit für diesen Eid mein Leben einzusatzen."

Source: axishistory.com

Kameraden

Post by Kameraden » 22 Oct 2005, 15:45

Thanx Guys

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 22 Oct 2005, 16:22

Why is the Italian SS oath in German? That makes no sense.

According to Waffen-SS veteran Christian de la Maziére's autobiography The Captive Dreamer, this is the oath the 33rd SS Charlemagne soldiers took on Nov 12, 1944:

"Before God I swear absolute obedience to Adolf Hitler, Commander in Chief of the German Army and to the superiors appointed by him... I swear to you, Adolf Hitler, Germanic Führer and Remaker of Europe, to be loyal and brave. I swear to obey you and the leaders you have placed over me until death. So help me God."

Richard_

Post by Richard_ » 22 Oct 2005, 18:35

Here is the oath by Heer,
Soldiers=I swear by God this scared oath: I will render unconditional obedience to Adolf Hitler, the Führer of the German nation and people, Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, and will be ready as a brave soldier to risk my life at my time for this oath.

Public officials=I swear: I shall be loyal and obedient to Adolf Hitler, the Führer of the German Reich and people, respect the laws and fulfill my official duties conscientiously, so help me God.

SA oath=As a member of the storm troop of the NSDAP i pledge myself by its flag to be always ready to stake life and limb in the struggle for the aims of the movement, to give absolute military obedience to my military superiors and leaders, to bear mtself honorbly in and out of service, to be always companionable towards other comrades.

Hitlerjugend oath=In the presence of this blood banner, wich represents our Fürher, i swear to devote all my energies and my strenght to the savior of our country, Adolf Hitler, i am willing and ready to give up my life for him, so help me God.

NSDAP oath=I pledge Allegiance to my Fürher Adolf Hitler, i promise at all times to show respect and obedience to him and to any leaders he may appoint for me.
Attachments
righitlineup.jpg
righitlineup.jpg (21.22 KiB) Viewed 14129 times

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 22 Oct 2005, 18:48

There was oddly a slight variation with the oath that Finnish volunteers took 15.10.41.

Its identical to Germanische oath but it inclued "und Kanzler des deutches Reiches" after the word Führer.

Cheers/Juha

Acolyte

Post by Acolyte » 22 Oct 2005, 20:31

Richard F wrote:Here is the oath by Heer,
Soldiers=I swear by God this scared oath: I will render unconditional obedience to Adolf Hitler, the Führer of the German nation and people, Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, and will be ready as a brave soldier to risk my life at my time for this oath.
what about "So help me God"?

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 23 Oct 2005, 15:06

the German Army oath changed after Hindenburg's death

the pre-August 1934 Heer oath:

"I swear by almighty God this sacred oath:
I will at all times loyally and honestly
serve my people and country
and, as a brave soldier,
I will be ready at any time
to stake my life for this oath.

Additional information at http://www.joric.com/Conspiracy/Enslaved.htm

BTW here's an English translation of the 13th SS Division oath:

"I swear to the Führer, Adolf Hitler, as Supreme Commander of the German Armed Forces, to be loyal and brave. I swear to the Führer and to the leaders he may deisgnate, obedience unto death. I swear to God the Almighty that I will always be loyal to the Croatian State and its authorized representative, the Poglavnik, that I will always maintain the best interests of the Croat people and always respect the
state constitution and laws of the Croatian people" ( see Munoz, The East Came West p261)

Ramses II

Re: Waffen SS Oath

Post by Ramses II » 20 Dec 2008, 17:35

"Ich schwöre dir, Adolf Hitler, als germanische Führer, Treue und Tapferkeit. Ich gelobe dir und den von Dir bestimmten Vorgesetzten Gehorsam bis in den Tod. So wahr mir Gott Helfe."

this is the real SS oath

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”